The 2016 CCSLC Baseball HOF Induction Thread

Crabcake

Here is how this will work:

Any member who wants to can submit their 2016 Baseball Hall of Fame ballot. We will be following the same rules as the BBWAA have currently. Members can submit votes until January 5. After all the ballots have been submitted, I will count the votes each player gets and see who the CCSLC would induct into the Baseball Hall of Fame and compare it with who actually gets in.

Here are some helpful links:

HoF Voting Procedures: http://www.baseball-reference.com/about/hof_voting.shtml

Official 2016 HoF Ballot: http://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/hof_2016.shtml

I know that HoF debates are some of the most heated debates there are in sports, especially in baseball. But, please, let's try to keep it civil.

Here's the spreadsheet, in case anyone's curious: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1r7d526xBESssy9x04pF9Fgk6F1tYvv9ZThpMiNRsUDY/htmlview

spacer.png

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me...the easiest and fairest way is to put them in alphabetical order, then give a quick "yes" or "no" until you reach your max limit, then submit. If you have to think about it, it's a no. If you have to build a case, it's a no. If you get to your max limit before you get to the guys with a late-lettered last name, you just stop and submit your ballot.

Anderson: No

Ausmus: No

Bagwell: Yes

Bonds: Yes

Castillo: No

Clemens: Yes

Eckstein: No

Edmonds: No

Garciaparra: No

Glaus: No

Griffey: Yes

Grudzielanek: No

Hampton: No

Hoffman: No

Kendall: No

Kent: Yes

Lowell: No

Martinez: No

McGriff: No

McGwire: Yes (Even though he's just a one-trick pony)

Mussina: No

Piazza: Yes

Raines: No

Schilling: No

Sheffield: No

Smith: Yes

Sosa: Yes

Sweeney: No

Trammell: No

Wagner: No

Walker: No

Winn: No

I'm submitting this ballot with the caveat that I was not alive when most of these guys played, and I am basing this mainly on stats.

Player (team cap on plaque imo)

Piazza (Mets)

Griffey Jr. (Mariners)

Bagwell (Astros)

Schilling (Red Sox)

Mussina (Orioles)

Trammell (Tigers)

Kent (Giants)

Walker (Rockies)

Hoffman (Padres)

Martinez (Mariners)

spacer.png

Yes to Bagwell, Griffey, Piazza and Trammell. No to everyone else.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Kent: No

McGwire: Yes

Smith: No

6uXNWAo.png

Trammell is all I care about

So, is this a vote for Trammell, or are you just saying that you only care if Trammell gets elected?

Trammell is all I care about getting elected. He is my all-time favorite player and would be disappointed if he wasn't elected on his final year...

Trammell is all I care about

So, is this a vote for Trammell, or are you just saying that you only care if Trammell gets elected?

Trammell is all I care about getting elected. He is my all-time favorite player and would be disappointed if he wasn't elected on his final year...

That's what i figured. I would be more surprised to see Trammell get elected this year by the BBWAA, but he'll almost certainly get in via the Veterans Committee.

spacer.png

It would be nice if some of those "either Jack Morris is getting in or nobody is getting in" voters would get off their moral high horse and support Alan Trammell who has a far better case for the Hall than Morris.

People can go into the offseason thread to see my picks and what I think of each, but I have my own HOF as a side project where I induct three players in even years, two in odd years starting in 1936 and keeping in line with MLB's eligibility rules (for anyone curious the three inductees I had this year were Ken Griffey, John Smoltz and Frank Thomas, last year was just Pedro and Randy and '14 was Greg Maddux, Mike Mussina and Curt Schilling) and under my system Alan Trammell would have been inducted in 2002.

What that tells me is either myself or the HOF is extremely far off on Alan Trammell's standing in history and I don't think its me. Shortstops with over 2,000 hits and multiple deserving gold gloves to their name tend to get in pretty easily for me because go through the names of everyone else that's done that and you'll see my point.

It would be nice if some of those "either Jack Morris is getting in or nobody is getting in" voters would get off their moral high horse and support Alan Trammell who has a far better case for the Hall than Morris.

People can go into the offseason thread to see my picks and what I think of each, but I have my own HOF as a side project where I induct three players in even years, two in odd years starting in 1936 and keeping in line with MLB's eligibility rules (for anyone curious the three inductees I had this year were Ken Griffey, John Smoltz and Frank Thomas, last year was just Pedro and Randy and '14 was Greg Maddux, Mike Mussina and Curt Schilling) and under my system Alan Trammell would have been inducted in 2002.

What that tells me is either myself or the HOF is extremely far off on Alan Trammell's standing in history and I don't think its me. Shortstops with over 2,000 hits and multiple deserving gold gloves to their name tend to get in pretty easily for me because go through the names of everyone else that's done that and you'll see my point.

So based off of your post in the Hot Stove thread, should I put your picks in for: Bonds, Clemens, Griffey, Mussina, Schilling, Bagwell, and Trammell?

spacer.png

To me...the easiest and fairest way is to put them in alphabetical order, then give a quick "yes" or "no" until you reach your max limit, then submit. If you have to think about it, it's a no. If you have to build a case, it's a no. If you get to your max limit before you get to the guys with a late-lettered last name, you just stop and submit your ballot.

Switch Smith for Moose, and I just about entirely agree with this ballot. I mean, I'd like Trammell and Walker to get in as well, and the time crunch for Trammell is problematic, but I can certainly agree with 9/10's of this ballot, no question.

spacer.png

Griffey - Mariners

Hoffman - Padres

Martinez - Mariners

McGriff - Blue Jays

Mussina - Orioles

Raines - Expos

Schilling - Diamondbacks

Smith - Cubs

Trammell - Tigers

Walker - Rockies

New rule: If a writer votes for a player after at least 5yrs of not voting for him, said writer is subsequently banned from any/all future balloting.

For me, a player is either a HOFer or not.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Switch Smith for Moose, and I just about entirely agree with this ballot. I mean, I'd like Trammell and Walker to get in as well, and the time crunch for Trammell is problematic, but I can certainly agree with 9/10's of this ballot, no question.

Would you like me to submit that as a ballot for you, Kramer?

spacer.png

Archived