Super Bowl 50 Aesthetics

CreamSoda

3 hours ago, Captain Poncho said:

Also, I'd suggest that there is either zero or a tiny fraction of NFL fans that would identify themselves as fans of a particular conference – no one goes out of their way to wear an AFC hat or an NFC t-shirt, and, if you do, you're probably on the extreme periphery.

I know I have great difficulty cheering for teams that play in the same conference as my team. So what if the AFC wins the Super Bowl and it's not my team? Is there inherent pride in that? Even if there is some, is it enough to warrant more artwork on the playing surface?  I don't think so.

No one's saying that the conference logos are about being a fan of the conference, or wanting the team from your conference to win. FFS I hate the Broncos. I'm not pulling for them just because they're the AFC Champions. 

What I'm saying is that the Conference (and earlier league) logos have been part of the game's visual identity for forty-nine years.

The fact that the Conference logo-less field is new does make it bad. After half a century? The visual traditions of the game are important. The 50th Super Bowl should be a celebration of history. Not the point where you abandon it.

The conference logos are also important because of the nature of the modern-day NFL. The teams that made up the AFL? Those teams have that as part of their historical identity. The Broncos are a great example. They're an original AFL team. The AFC logo should be important to them. Especially when they're representing the AFC in a game against the NFC Champs.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If not in the endzones, then they should at least put the conference logos SOMEWHERE.  Maybe outside the numbers where most teams place the tiny NFL(or Play 60) logos. I would accept that as an alternative.  

Also, the traditional Red & Blue marks. Not the godawful black & gold ones. 

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

2 hours ago, rickyISking said:

The Patriots winning all those Super Bowls has really helped the AFC East. :rolleyes:

Well, I'd say it has united three teams' fans under a common banner...

10 hours ago, TheOldRoman said:

There were stories about this a few days ago if you scroll back. The Broncos are the home team, but they chose to wear white because they've lost all four orange Super Bowls, getting dump-trucked the last three times. Just a bit of superstition.

losing by 17 to dallas back in jan. 1978 is a moral victory in comparision the last three times they got lexington steele'd wearing the orange jerseys

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

6 hours ago, ironpatriotbaseball said:

What people forget is that the Denver Broncos also got steamrolled 39-20 while wearing white in Super Bowl XXI against the New York Giants at the Rose Bowl in 1987.

super-bowl-xxi_pg_600.jpg

tumblr_lumit8zgd71r6wwvyo1_500.jpg

Now THAT is what a Super Bowl field should look like.

I honestly think they wore white just to avoid two weeks of non-stop "orange curse" talk. Of course it's nonsense, but athletes are generally pretty superstitious, and hearing about it so much might reify it in their minds (I didn't use thing, admiral!). There was some buzz about them avoiding orange, but nowhere near as bad as the orange chatter would have been.

On 1/28/2016 at 8:37 PM, Cosmic said:

Admiral may have to revise his pick... if Goodell hands that thing to Jerry Richardson, it will probably kill him.

Wait, who's dying in this scenario, Jerry Richardson or me?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

9 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Wait, who's dying in this scenario, Jerry Richardson or me?

I think being handed a 73 pound trophy might kill Jerry Richardson, but we might not get to see him hold the whole thing.

1 hour ago, Saint Zephyr III said:

I wonder though: it's guaranteed that LA's getting the Super Bowl come 2020 or soon after but I'd love it if the Rose Bowl could be able to bid again since it's now in an NFL market again.

With the NFL, the new LA stadium will have a boat load of suites, clubs, loges, etc. Even with the Rose Bowl at 90k, the new LA Stadium would draw so much more money.

5 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I think being handed a 73 pound trophy might kill Jerry Richardson, but we might not get to see him hold the whole thing.

Just tell him he can get some sweet kickbacks if he gets the Chargers to relocate to Flint. That should perk him right up!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 1/30/2016 at 6:39 PM, Ice_Cap said:

No one's saying that the conference logos are about being a fan of the conference, or wanting the team from your conference to win. FFS I hate the Broncos. I'm not pulling for them just because they're the AFC Champions. 

What I'm saying is that the Conference (and earlier league) logos have been part of the game's visual identity for forty-nine years.

The fact that the Conference logo-less field is new does make it bad. After half a century? The visual traditions of the game are important. The 50th Super Bowl should be a celebration of history. Not the point where you abandon it.

The conference logos are also important because of the nature of the modern-day NFL. The teams that made up the AFL? Those teams have that as part of their historical identity. The Broncos are a great example. They're an original AFL team. The AFC logo should be important to them. Especially when they're representing the AFC in a game against the NFC Champs.

FFS? Apparently, I'm not making myself clear.

And what I'm saying, is that these Conference logos, despite being a long-standing tradition, are low enough on the totem pole of the logo hierarchies that they aren't nearly as important as the rest of the logo fleet.  Thus, if you're looking to simplify graphics and concentrate on a less-is-more approach, they're the first to go. I think it's a fine thing.  You, among others, do not.  Which is peachy keen.

Also, I DO so love the Broncos. And I hope they stomp a giant mud hole in Carolina.

But, less isn't necessarily more. Take away the conference logos (which traditionally have been in the endzone) you wind up with an off-center wordmark. Which looks shabby. Maybe putting the logo on either side of the word mark would be better.

10 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

But, less isn't necessarily more. Take away the conference logos (which traditionally have been in the endzone) you wind up with an off-center wordmark. Which looks shabby. Maybe putting the logo on either side of the word mark would be better.

I agree that the execution is certainly not the greatest (more so with the Panthers end zone than the Broncos), but the idea behind it is solid. 

There are many things that I would have done differently had I been the CD creating the standards, including primary color choices, but outside of this little circle, I sincerely doubt the absence of the conference marks will be noticed at all.

Archived