Cosmic

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's see...

2 home games vs 6 divisional teams is 12.

3 home games vs 1 divisional team is 3.

2 home games vs 4 Central teams is 8.

1 home game vs 3 Central teams is 3.

16 home games vs East is 16.

12+3+8+3+16 is 42. Unless I'm reading something wrong, which is entirely possible since I'm not smart.

39 minutes ago, the admiral said:

So at this point Quebecor has to go back to Son-Hating Pete and ask what it's going to cost to uproot the Canes, because the league will never approve an expansion to Quebec City. They're leaving the 32nd slot open for Seattle or Houston for as long as that takes.

Seattle or Portland would be a great addition....but both have their issues (Seattle = arena, Portland = no owner).  I kinda doubt Houston is interested.

The NHL wants Houston, Houston doesn't want the NHL. Quebec City wants the NHL, the NHL doesn't want Quebec City. Why is this only a problem that this league has?

Oh, and as one final indignity, the NHL lawyers phrased Quebec City's rejection as a "deferral" so that they don't have to refund the deposit on the expansion fee. There is no timeframe for the deferral.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

Does it ever even snow in Las Vegas?

LA's had a team since 1967; how often does it snow there?

There are plenty of good reasons to not expand to Las Vegas. That is not one of them.

I also liked "we're making this the toughest expansion draft on other teams and giving Las Vegas automatic lottery picks because Facebook and iPads exist now. You can't expect us to do that for two teams."

59 minutes ago, the admiral said:

So at this point Quebecor has to go back to Son-Hating Pete and ask what it's going to cost to uproot the Canes, because the league will never approve an expansion to Quebec City. They're leaving the 32nd slot open for Seattle or Houston for as long as that takes.

LOL they'd have better luck with Kansas City  under the "freak chance is better than no chance" logic.

AND also sucks to be a Pacific Division season ticket holder.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

1 minute ago, AstroBull21 said:

Any takers on how soon the Canes relocate to Quebec?

Honestly, I'm so tired of hearing "we can't have another Eastern team because of Columbus!" that I half-want Quebecor to therefore buy Columbus.

3 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I also liked "we're making this the toughest expansion draft on other teams and giving Las Vegas automatic lottery picks because Facebook and iPads exist now. You can't expect us to do that for two teams."

You think the NHL is being too easy on Vegas because they have an 11.5% (or maybe less; the NHL hasn't explained this lottery voodoo) chance of getting the #1 pick? In a normal lottery with the current odds, the 3rd team most likely falls back to 4. If I were paying $500M for a hockey team, I'd want the #1 pick; Vegas could end up 6th. So what if they get a slightly higher grade of cast offs?

Let's forget the obvious greed and any other reasoning behind the decision for a second 

This has been said millions of times, but the gimmick of hockey in the desert has mainly been a failed experiment, so this idea is to further expand the gimmick with way more competing entertainment and a betting industry that could be huge trouble, all of this hoping opposing teams fans will come. How can anyone think this won't end in complete disaster?

All that matters is love, love, your love...

They get automatic lottery picks regardless of finish for four years. The league is letting Las Vegas build a team at a faster pace than Nashville/Atlanta/Minnesota/Columbus because the advances in technology mean more people are watching and more closely (this is actually 100% true). So the implication here is that the team should make the playoffs within its first four seasons but also draft as if missing them. I don't think that's fair, but neither is taking someone's money for an expansion you never intended to give them, so who can say?

2 minutes ago, Beckhamcantbendmiami said:

Let's forget the obvious greed and any other reasoning behind the decision for a second 

Are we still pretending that professional sports aren't about making money?

#MakeIt31

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Ugh, why Bettman?

Can I ask why you think a team in a market that will more than likely not be a success is better than a market in Canada?

You made the wrong choice and every NHL fan knows this. Yet you still smile and smugly.

Carolina to QC please!

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

3 minutes ago, KittSmith_95 said:

Can I ask why you think a team in a market that will more than likely not be a success is better than a market in Canada?

You answered your own question.

3 minutes ago, KittSmith_95 said:

But why does Bettman hate Canada?

I'll bet you a chocolate milkshake as many as six of seven Canadian teams voted against expansion to Quebec (Chipman's a bro, he helped Quebecor prepare their bid by giving them access to books and stuff).

Archived