Las Vegas NHL Expansion

ShinyHubCaps

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NEW YORK -- National Hockey League Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly today released the following statement regarding the office actions issued by the United States Patent and Trademark Office on the applications to register the name Vegas Golden Knights:

"We are currently reviewing the Trademark Office's letter and will prepare a detailed response demonstrating why we continue strongly to believe the Vegas Golden Knights mark should be registered in co-existence with the college registration, just as a number of other nicknames currently co-exist in professional and college sports (particularly where there is no overlap as to the sport for which the nickname is being used). That response is not due until June 7, 2017.

"We consider this a routine matter and it is not our intention to reconsider the name or logo of this franchise. We fully intend to proceed as originally planned, relying on our common law trademark rights as well as our state trademark registrations while we work through the process of addressing the question raised in the federal applications."

Okay then...

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I love that Army is going to force them to change the name. Desert Knights wouldn't be too hard to swap to, the colours wouldn't have to change much AND it's still a military homage given our peccadilloes in the Gulf over the past two decades. 

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

35 minutes ago, omnivore said:

I love that Army is going to force them to change the name. Desert Knights wouldn't be too hard to swap to, the colours wouldn't have to change much AND it's still a military homage given our peccadilloes in the Gulf over the past two decades. 

I had to google search/ wikipedia it, to find out what peccadilloes are.

I thought it was related to this guy:

Convergencia-Nine-banded_Armadillo-LOW.j

Now i know it´s not. 

I love this board, learn something new almost every day ;)

Does the NHL do a lot of that?  I view it as much more of a practice in the NFL and MLB.  Unfortunately, none of that is really copyright violation.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

4 minutes ago, TheRatPack said:

Apparently Saint Rose will put out a press release this afternoon :)

Tell em to suck it!

The college was NOT the one who brought up the trademark kerfuffle.  It was the USPTO!  

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

1 hour ago, charger77 said:

Rumor has it that the college is $9,000,000 in debt and has cut scholarships by roughly $350,000, perhaps they are looking to lease the name?

The college didn't mention ANYTHING when the name was announced.  They are local to me, Division II.  

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

21 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

So worse case scenario..everything that's been unveiled so far, including the name, doesn't get used at all??

Is that really a worst case scenario, or best?

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

So I've gone back and reviewed my comment history, from the beginning of this process, until now.

It's basically a case study in the NHL taking wide-eyed, hopeful, excited fans, and turning them into skeptical, bitter curmudgeons. All through the simple use of embarassingly bad business.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see Vegas fail. I've just run out of hope it can do anything but.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

They could rename to the Vegas Gladys Knights featuring the Pips in the owners box...I'm sure Gladys would be willing to work out a resonable deal.

Didn't Atlanta have a team called the Knights in the IHL years ago?

I think the evidence is plainly clear that Foley and Company are about as competent to run a professional sports franchise as a particular Bloviator In Chief is to run the US Government.  I never thought Foley would make the Magoof's look competent.  SMDH.

Archived