Las Vegas NHL Expansion

ShinyHubCaps

8 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Your question was way beyond my limited understanding of IP law, so I just forwarded it to Jessica. Her response:

They are examining the visual depiction of the mark as a whole. The overall appearance, sound (when sounding out the words) stylization, color (if color is claimed as a feature of the mark), etc.

Hope that helps.

Is she doing this work pro bono? Or do you now have a tab? ;)

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Can't believe the College of Saint Rose has been the roadblock so far, when they're trampling all over the West Point trademarks IMO.

There's still time, I guess.

The Army's "Golden Knights" are garrisoned at Ft. Bragg, NC not West Point. Those are the Black Knights. 

I'd expect them to jump into the fray at some point as well. 

Am I wrong if I say that they could go ahead and dont bother the ruling using the logo and name?

The only consequence would be no trademark protection? Meaning anybody could design, produce and sell "Vegas Golden Knights" products as long the NHL logo doesnt appear on the product?

12 minutes ago, bleuet said:

Am I wrong if I say that they could go ahead and dont bother the ruling using the logo and name?

The only consequence would be no trademark protection? Meaning anybody could design, produce and sell "Vegas Golden Knights" products as long the NHL logo doesnt appear on the product?

Sure, if you want to kneecap your revenue streams.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

6 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

Is she doing this work pro bono? Or do you now have a tab? ;)

Oh, she's keeping a running tab. As soon as I get back, she'll expect full payment, is non-monetary form. It's a win-win for all parties...Except the Vegas Golden Knights...

2 hours ago, bleuet said:

@rams80 is right, moving forward without trademark protection is a bad business move, and not the kind that the League loves. Even if Foley wanted to, I doubt Bettman & co. would allow it.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

On 12/8/2016 at 2:50 PM, TheRatPack said:

And....what? They are putting out a press release shortly, didn't matter who stopped the mark initially.

The school basically shrugged their shoulders in local news interviews.  

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

11 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Can't believe the College of Saint Rose has been the roadblock so far, when they're trampling all over the West Point trademarks IMO.

The school did NOT bring it up, USPTO did!  

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

3 hours ago, Needschat said:

14 hours ago, Cosmic said:

The school did NOT bring it up, USPTO did!  

He never said they did. You can be a roadblock involuntarily. You are very defensive.

20 minutes ago, goalieboy82 said:

there is nothing wrong with Las Vegas Blackjacks.  with Foley going to West Point i would think Blackjacks would be a good idea (named after this man)

Image result for general pershing official portrait

plus its Las Vegas.

I know the NHL's stance on this but damn, Blackjacks would have been such a great name for a team in Las Vegas.

7 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I know the NHL's stance on this but damn, Blackjacks would have been such a great name for a team in Las Vegas.

don't get the NHL's stance, don't they do daily fantasy sports (and that is gambling).  

so long and thanks for all the fish.

4 minutes ago, goalieboy82 said:

don't get the NHL's stance, don't they do daily fantasy sports (and that is gambling).  

MULTIPLE LEGAL AUTHORITIES HAVE CONCLUDED THAT DAILY FANTASY SPORTS ARE GAMES OF SKILL

and also lucrative

1 hour ago, goalieboy82 said:

there is nothing wrong with Las Vegas Blackjacks.  with Foley going to West Point i would think Blackjacks would be a good idea (named after this man)

Image result for general pershing official portrait

plus its Las Vegas.

And then when they move to Quebec, they can be named after Blacque Jacque Schellacque.

aadf13a474ff29349302288fa37b534d.jpg

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Archived