International Football 16-17

ninersdd

22 minutes ago, marble21 said:

Ā 

Whilst I fully endorse every single one of these rule changes, I have 0% confidenceĀ of them ever being enforced.

Ā 

Either they'll never be enforced, or the refs will go overboard and give out red cards just for glancing in their direction and we'll be playing 8v8 for the first four weeks of the season (and then they'll never be enforced again).

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, officeglenn said:

Ā 

Either they'll never be enforced, or the refs will go overboard and give out red cards just for glancing in their direction and we'll be playing 8v8 for the first four weeks of the season (and then they'll never be enforced again).

Ā 

If we're to take the Premier League as an example. I'd say 99% of corners involve some kind of shirt pulling,Ā pushing the oppositionĀ or holding them -Ā which should result in a penalty or free kick. Most of the time the goalkeeper holds onto the ball for more than 6 seconds and I can only remember the odd occasion a free kick has been awarded against one. Throw ins are sometimes taken 10+ yards further down the line from where they are meant to be taken.

Ā 

My point being that all of those are technically in the rule book and completely black and white rules with no grey area yet they are hardly ever enforced. I understand that the referee has to apply some common sense.Ā In my (often outspoken) opinion on this though... it would only take a few weeks of enforcing these rules properly for teams to realise that they can't take the piss any more. I feel like the same would happen with what is currently unacceptableĀ behaviour towards the officials. Lots of other sports have shown that a zero tolerance policy works.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

The word locally is that Steve Bruce has left Hull City, andĀ Derby County's 2007-08 Premier League record low of 11 points might be under serious threat next season.

4 hours ago, Jaffa said:

The word locally is that Steve Bruce has left Hull City, andĀ Derby County's 2007-08 Premier League record low of 11 points might be under serious threat next season.

Only if you bring in Steve McLaren.

km3S7lo.jpg

Ā 

Zqy6osx.png

Ā 

3 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Only if you bring in Steve McLaren.

Ā 

Steve McLaren would be a messiah compared to some of the names we might have to turn to. Really.

They've kept most of their key players and the majority of the folks playing in preseason so far will be playing in Premier League 2. Other than adjusting to a larger pitch and fans further away from them, players shouldn't have any big changes to deal with.

km3S7lo.jpg

Ā 

Zqy6osx.png

Ā 

30 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Is Alan Shearer on that list? Why not take a shot at Bob Bradley? I think he'd be great for a team like Hull. Underdog from day one that will steal a few big scalps.

Ā 

Here are the runners and riders courtesy of on Englandshire bookie...

Ā 

Screen%20Shot%202016-07-22%20at%207.55.0

Ā 

The problem is we're such an absolute basket case at the moment I think it's going to have to be an extremelyĀ desperate man to take the job. Bruce is generally well liked amongst his fellow managers - there'll be quite a few on the list above who, if approached, will likely ask Bruce for his views. To say they won't be favourable is quite the understatement.

Ā 

But please, not Steve Evans. Anyone but Steve Evans.

I'd like to see what Glenn Hoddle can do. If I'm Coleman I go nowhere near that. Klinsmann, Pellegrini, Redknapp, Blanc and Brown are on there for the money to come in and nothing else. No way any of them take the job. I could see Giggsy taking this as a way to prove to United he should have replaced Van Gaal. Unfortunately I think he'd finish the season like Ole Gunnar SolskjƦrĀ did 2 seasons ago at Cardiff City.Ā 

km3S7lo.jpg

Ā 

Zqy6osx.png

Ā 

2 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'd like to see what Glenn Hoddle can do. If I'm Coleman I go nowhere near that. Klinsmann won, Pellegrini, Redknapp, Blanc and Brown are on there for the money to come in and nothing else. No way any of them take the job. I could see Giggsy taking this as a way to prove to United he should have replaced Van Gaal. Unfortunately I think he'd finish the season like Ole Gunnar SolskjƦrĀ did 2 seasons ago.Ā 

Ā 

Giggs odds have been cut from what they wereĀ earlier, actually. But heĀ would no doubt be straight on the phone to his old team mate Bruce to ask his thoughts, and I'm sure Fergie's advice to him would be to stay well clear too. Likewise Neville and Keane. I have no idea what Barmby and Pearson are doing on the list either, they've both had their fingers well and truly burnt with the Allams in the past.

Ā 

McClaren might be a shout - he's a former player, his wife's from the area and - when he's not employed elsewhere - he's a regular attendee at our matches.Ā 

So since more transfers have been finalized, and the picture is becoming more clear as to what the 2016-2017 Premier League season is going to look like, I thought I'd see what everyone thinks is gonna happen in the table, who's gonna surprise us and who's gonna disappoint, and who the breakout players and dominant players will be. Also I'll be posting my predictions shortly so I can compare mine with everyone else's and you can do the same. Also we can just use this to talk about soccer (football) in general, and what is going on in the transfer, kits, and matches part of the beautiful game. Enjoy!

-Soflo

Ā premier_league_logo_short.png

Ā 

soflo copy.png

1. Manchester City-Ā very solid squad all around, full season of KDB and Gundogan coming in will put them over the top

2. Spurs-Ā extremely young and talented, bringin in Janssen, Wanyama, Nkoudou, etc. will add much needed depth to contend even more

3. Manchester United-Ā not sold on Zlatan in teh PL quite yet, but if Pogba is also added along with Micky they could easily win the league

4. Chelsea-Ā poor 15/16 won't carry over, although the signings they made (Michy) may not be very effective

5. Arsenal-Ā not a very good transfer window so far, and are falling behind the teams adding more depth and talent

6.Ā Liverpool-Ā 95% sure that Sturridge won't last all season, and I don't feel Mane and Wijnaldum were that good of signings, but will improve from 15/16

7. West Ham-Ā need to add a good striker soon, but need to find out there place as of now. No way people like James will sign there, need to aim lower

8. Leicester-Ā Miracle 15/16 campaign will not repeat, but a top 10 finish is still good for Leicester after losing Kante and probably Mahrez

9. Southampton-Ā Lost a lot in Koeman, Wanyama, Mane and Pelle. Could easily finish lower

10. Crystal Palace-Ā I like the additions of Townsend and Mandana, Palace could surprise this year

11. Everton-Ā Witsel would be a good signing, but they're still far away from contention, even with Lukaku staying

12. Stoke-Ā Really haven't done much this summer, so things should stay about the same

13.Ā Swansea-Ā They have a decent squad, but like Stoke, have been quiet thus far

14.Ā Middlesborough-Ā Great additions in Valdes, Negredo, Fischer, Barragan, etc. will keep them comfortably away from relegation

15. Watford-Ā The Ighalo/Deeney combination is back for another year, and it will bring them another year in the PL

16. Bournemouth-Ā Made some good additions in Ake and Ibe, but selling RitchieĀ was a bad idea

17. Hull City-Ā Hull will benefit from a decent squad, but more from other squads below them not performing, thus barely staying up

18. Sunderland-Ā After last season's subpar campaign, and losing Big Sam, the Black Cats will go down

19. West Brom-Ā This is the year West Brom stops reveling in mid-table obscurity and finally gets relegated

20. Burnley-Ā Another case of the up, then down, team, Burnley doesn't have enough to compete in the PL

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

spacer.png

Ā 1. Manchester United: If the Red Devils can bring in Paul Pogba, they should romp to the title.Ā 

Ā 2. Chelsea:Ā Everything went wrong last year, but a new manager and revamped squad will be able to focus solely on winning the league.

Ā 3.Ā Manchester City:Ā The most talented squad in the Prem will be hamstrung by injuries and the grinding Champions league schedule.

Ā 4.Ā Tottenham Hotspur:Ā Spurs' chance to bring home a title passed them by , but a solid young squad should keep them in the CL places.

Ā 5. Arsenal:Ā No Champions League, no St. Totteringham's day. Arsenal will finally pay for years of complacency, and Wenger will lose his job.

Ā 6.Ā Liverpool:Ā Jurgen Klopp's first full season will see the Reds build on a solid back half of the 2015-16 season, but they're still a few years away.

Ā 7.Ā West Ham United:Ā It will be difficult to replicate last season'sĀ success, but the Hammers should stay in the top half.

Ā 8. Liecester City:Ā With Kante gone and Mahrez likely leaving, Leicester will come back to earth after an insane 2015-16.

Ā 9. Everton:Ā A massive upgrade in managersĀ and most of the roster intact, the ToffeesĀ will begin working their way back to the European places.

10.Stoke City:Ā A solid side that performed very well at the close of last season. The Potters will continue to hold their mid-table position.

11.Crystal Palace:With a bolstered squad, they'll just miss out on the 10th spot.

12.Ā Southampton:Ā Another summer of losing young talent will send the Saints tumbling down the table.

13. Swansea:Ā Too good to get relegated, not good enough to push for top half.

14. Middlesbrough:Ā Certainly the most Premier League-ready of the promoted sides, Boro should have little trouble avoiding the drop

15.Ā Watford:Ā A powerful strike force will help keep the Hornets off the bottom of the table.

16.Ā Bournemouth:Ā Stayed up comfortably last season, but this campaign promises to be far more difficult.

17. Sunderland:Ā The Black Cats will narrowly avoid the drop once again.

18. Hull City:Ā I want the Tigers to stay up, but I just can't see it happening.

19. West Brom:Ā I am an avid Baggies-hater, and I believe this is the year that they finally get relegated.

20. Burnley:Ā Should be more competitive than that other claret and blue team that bottomed out last year, but they will get sent right back downĀ 

Ā 

All these picks are, of course, subject to change depending on transfers.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

1.Ā Manchester United:Ā If the Red Devils can bring in Paul Pogba, it's theirs. Otherwise, could finish in third.

2.Ā Manchester City: If Pogba doesn't come in, they'll switch places. Gundogan is out until September, we'll see what happens when he's fully fit.Ā 

3.Ā Arsenal:Ā Only reason they finish here is if Tottenham can't get another attacking player in. Wenger leaves to coach France.

4.Ā Tottenham Hotspur:Ā Spurs' chance is gone. Players that went to Euro 2016 didn't learn anything useful this summer.Ā 

5.Ā Chelsea:Ā They've gone with another coach that's willing to park the bus, even if the whole team was attackers.Ā 

6.Ā Liverpool:Ā Additions will help them get better but not enoughĀ to make top 4.

7.Ā West Ham United:Ā Will win the FA Cup because they'll be the only team playing in Europe that will still be in it by March. The only way they'll make Europe.Ā 

8.Stoke City: Punch above their weight in January when teams lose players for African Cup of Nations.

9.Ā Everton:Ā Only stay here because no one wants to play at Southampton or Middlesborough. Ā 

10.Ā Liecester City:Ā Cinderella gets smashed every week by the old boys. No major incoming players hurts.

12.Ā Southampton:Ā Another summer of losing young talent will send the Saints tumbling down the table.

13.Crystal Palace:Alan Pardew skips out on the team. It's what he does.

14.Ā Swansea:Ā Too good to get relegated, not good enough to push for top half.

15.Ā Middlesborough:Ā They've made smart buys on older players and have a young team that won't be afraid of mid level teams. Or Manchester United.

16.Ā Sunderland:Ā The Black Cats will narrowly avoid the drop once again.

17.Ā Bournemouth:Ā Stayed up comfortably last season, but this campaign promises to be far more difficult.

18.Ā Watford:Ā New money and no one to spend it on.

19.Ā West Brom: Too many years playing Russian roulette in April and May.

20.Ā Burnley:Ā Should be more competitive than that other claret and blue team that bottomed out last year, but they will get sent right back downĀ 

20.Ā Hull City:Ā If your coach leaves 3 weeks before the season and it's not for a better job, you're done.

km3S7lo.jpg

Ā 

Zqy6osx.png

Ā 

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

20.Ā Hull City:Ā If your coach leaves 3 weeks before the season and it's not for a better job, you're done.

Ā 

And that's only the tip of the iceberg...

Ā 

We're hopelessly down, and I reckon Sunderland's time may finally have come. The other relegation spot to be filled by either Burnley or Watford - I think Pulis will just manage to steer West Brom clear.

Alright seeing that some of you have put in your two cents, here's my predictions

Ā 

1.Ā Manchester United-Ā Maybe a little biased (ok a lot biased) but the new signings and winning mentality that Mourinho has brought, especially if he can get Pogba, will prove to be the winning factor for us.

2.Ā Manchester City-Ā I think the other Manchester side will finally get things working again and that Gundogan and maybe SanĆ© can be the X factors. Think they fall just short though.

3.Ā Arsenal-Ā Not a lot of new singings, but I think they're strong early play can continue, but like many other years could be leaving Gunners fans in disappointment.

4.Ā Spurs-Ā Fairly good season for Spurs I think, not as good as last season, but I think Harry Kane and Dele Alli can continue their strong play to get Tottenham back in Europe.

5.Ā Chelsea-Ā I think they'll be vastly improved from last year's debacle, but they didn't make enough changes and Diego Costa can be very unpredictable, as can their back line.

6.Ā Leicester-Ā Obviously not as strong as last season, but if they keep Vardy and Mahrez (which I think they'll do), and find a way to use Ahmed Musa well, they can be top half material again.

7.Ā West Ham-Ā They made a lot of moves this summer getting Feghouli and Tƶre but I don't think they're gonna improve much from last year, which was great under West Ham standards.

8.Ā Liverpool-Ā As much as I love JĆ¼rgen Klopp, Liverpool did not do enough to get them on higher levels again. Sturridge could do well if he doesn't get injured again.

9.Ā Southampton-Ā I think they'll do better in Europa than in English play, and the departure of PellĆØ, ManĆ©, and Wanyama might not bode well for the Saints.

10.Ā Stoke-Ā Arnautović and Shaqiri had great seasons last year, and I expect them to continue, if not better their play.

11.Ā Middlesbrough-Ā I'm all aboard the Boro Bandwagon, but the moves they've been making signing players like Negredo, makes me believe that they really want to win. Expect a massive season from Midddlesbrough.

12.Ā Everton-Ā A bit of a disappointment for the Toffees as they still can't get back to winning ways. Their defense will look shaky, and their goalkeepers woeful.

13. Crystal Palace-Ā I think the players Palace have signed in the past few windows are gonna help them a lot (Mandanda, Cabaye, Townsend), and will mix well with the current stars there as well (Bolasie, Dann, Puncheon).

14.Ā Swansea-Ā Not expecting a breakout season for the Swans, maybe spurts of good performance here and there, but an overall lackluster season for the only Welsh PL side.

15.Ā Watford-Ā After re-signing Deeney and Ighalo not looking to go anywhere else, Watford seems as if they'll play just as well as last season. But I think their shaky defense may finally give way.

16.Ā West Brom-Ā Not expecting a Leicester-esque season by any means, but I can't see them getting relegated. They haven't made any transfer changes, and they had a decent season last year.

17.Ā Bournemouth-Ā I think Bournemouth's new signings Ibe and Ake won't make too much of a difference, and that they'll struggle year long but find their way to keep Premier League football going.

18.Ā Sunderland-Ā I think this is the year the Black Cats finally fall into the red, especially with Sam Allardyce gone, and a lack of a confident squad, which will put Sunderland in misery.

19.Ā Burnley-Ā Not expecting the newly promoted side to pull a Watford, but I think Aaron Gray and Sam Vokes will have solid campaigns. Not enough for Burnley though.

20.Ā Hull-Ā Considering Steve Bruce just left, and they haven't signed any big names like Boro, i can't see Hull doing much this season.

Ā 

soflo copy.png

I won't post a full standings because I haven't followed the off season that closely, but I'll take a few ganders:

Ā 

Tottenham wins title

Chelsea qualifies for Euros

Leicester finishes 8th or lower

Bournemouth surprises like Leicester last year, but doesn't finish strong

Archived