2016 NCAA Football Thread

CS85

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really surprised because the only out of this world big game that any of the other four had that stood out was Watson throwing for six TD's against South Carolina. When around 10% sent their ballots in before Championship weekend that told me they stopped watching and said, "He's the best and Louisville wouldn't be where they were without him".

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Not really surprised because the only out of this world big game that any of the other four had that stood out was Watson throwing for six TD's against South Carolina. When around 10% sent their ballots in before Championship weekend that told me they stopped watching and said, "He's the best and Louisville wouldn't be where they were without him".

Well to be fair, that statement is correct, at least the second part. 

I'm fine with Jackson winning, nobody else really had that Heisman-level season. Jabrill Peppers had a great season, but it's especially hard for a defensive player to win when his team isn't in contention for a national title. Baker Mayfield was kind of meh, good season, but is it anything we are going to remember in 5 years? Dede Westbrook is kind of in the same boat. I would've been fine with DeShaun winning, but ultimately this was Lamar Jackson's year, and his numbers only re-affirm that. Nearly 5,000 yards of offense and 50+ touchdowns in 12 games is pretty hard to beat. 

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

31 minutes ago, Viper said:

More on the Wake Forest/Tommy Elrod story here. Their initials are WF, but after this story perhaps they should add a T in there as well.

It will be really interesting to see where this thing goes.  There are so many things to speculate about and since I am not the media, what the hell...

Gambling?  It's bad enough if this guy just wanted to do this to make a buck.  But if he was in cahoots with gamblers.  Oooh boy.  It's the kind of scandal that shakes the faith that we have in sports being sports.

The other teams?  I wonder how many teams he reached out to.  And how many took his info.  And did they pay for it? (and again, did that payment contribute to gambling stuff?). And those that said "no"...did anyone think to rat him out?  If he approached, say Phonyschool State (PSU) and PSU said "no" wouldn't it behoove PSU to rat him out and 1) not having this come out later and being tied to it and 2) not helping other (good) teams like Louisville beat crappy Wake Forest?

If it comes out that a lot of coaching staffs even knew about (not to mention participated) this is going to get really, really ugly.

The best case scenario is that this guy (who was on the coaching staff and seems to have been either demoted or fired) was doing this for no money, but out of spite, nobody took him up on it, and he only even tried once or twice.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Louisville's statement earlier today doesn't make them look any better.

Because they cheated.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/louisville-wake-forest-stealing-plays-tom-jurich-mandel-121416

Czqcot3VIAAIXiN_zpsosisch3m.jpg

EDIT: Army is investigating and working with Wake Forest.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/12/14/wake-forest-army-leaked-game-plan-scandal

That Louisville statement was funny?  Odd?  Tone-deaf?  All of this and more?

They actually admitted to taking part in this and lamented that they are not being left alone.  

The fact that this is a Petrino-led team makes it come off as even juicier since people can't wait to jump on him. But if the Army investigation brings anything to light, people won't know whether or not to be outraged.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Just now, MJWalker45 said:

If they needed Wake's plays for that? I'd hate to see what would've happened without them.

Wake won that game 6-3 in 2OT too.

On another note, the father of Wake's QB wants a piece of Elrod as he was sacked 98 times in three seasons

“It did put John potentially in danger of getting hurt. He’s not a big quarterback, and there’s no question he’s been battered all three years there. The thing that enters your mind is whether there were situations where defenses knew what routes (Wake Forest receivers) were going to run and that put him at risk because it took longer for the play to develop and for receivers to get open."

Archived