2016 NCAA Football Thread

CS85

30 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

TBH, I like the 4 team format just fine.  I'd probably be OK with 8 teams, but only if there are absolutely no automatic bids, period.  This "conference champs should be in" nonsense only works if you have 16 or more teams in.  The last thing I want to see is some 3 loss team stumbling into winning a weak division, having one great game in the conference championship, and knocking out some other team that everyone acknowledges is better... no thanks.  If its 8, I want the best 8 teams, period.    

The thing is, a 6+2 playoff will capture the two best non-champions. Unfortunately, conference championship games mean that sometimes, the best team doesn't win. It happens in basketball all the time with the tournaments of the 1-bid conferences, and we don't complain. I know that football, with a smaller number of teams, isn't the same as the 68-team NCAA basketball tournament, but the principle is the same. If a team can't come through in the clutch and win the conference championship game, then maybe they don't deserve to get in.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, rickyISking said:

Unless that team is Ohio State...

If Ohio State had 3 losses we'd be arguing about 2 loss Michigan.

I guess Wisconsin forgot they were supposed to roll over against Penn State. If they put up 40 they might kick the Buckeyes out.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

30 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

If Ohio State had 3 losses we'd be arguing about 2 loss Michigan.

I guess Wisconsin forgot they were supposed to roll over against Penn State. If they put up 40 they might kick the Buckeyes out.

Well, they saw up-close what a 59-point margin in a championship game can do for a team...they figure a big number only helps.

It'll help Wisconsin that they win the conference.  They might get to jump Michigan.  And maybe it helps that their loss to Ohio State was an overtime loss.....but I don't think they'll vault into the top 4.

It'll be a crime if Washington drops out.  If they were able to get to #4 despite their weak strength-of-schedule last week, playing a top-15 Colorado team should only help that.

Penn State starting to dominate.  Looks like the committee is going to have to deliberate.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Committee is watching this.  Sorry we could not help you OSU.  Bama, Clemson, Penn State, Washington 

edit: unless Clemson blows it.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

As I argued a page or two ago, I'm certainly in favor of letting precedence and conference championships be significant.

I'm entirely willing to make an exception so that Penn State can go pound sand instead, however. 

Also, Gus Johnson describing that win as a "milestone in the 'healing process'" has to rate as one of the most disgusting and tone-deaf comments I've ever heard a play-by-play announcer make on the air. That's absolutely ridiculous.

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Ohio State is :censored:ed.

Yup.  One fluky play and a ton of other bad circumstances...including that there are no good teams in the Big Ten West.

I wonder whether it will hasten 1) an eight team playoff and 2) another non-geographic alignment in the B1G.  The top 4 programs are in the east.

POTD (Shared)

Penn State vs. Wisconsin was an instant classic, what a game that was. Clemson did its usual get up by 21 and then sleepwalk to the finish line. Won't affect them too much, though.

The committee has a conundrum between Ohio State and Penn State now. Do you choose the team that won the conference and beat OSU head to head? Or do you take the team that has one less loss and presumably looks better? I think the committee angers everyone and chooses Ohio State over Penn State.

1. Alabama
  2. Clemson
  3. Ohio State
  4. Washington

NSFCvyu.png

I've seen this show before:

1. Alabama

2. Penn State

3. Clemson

4. Ohio State

Washington/Michigan = Rose Bowl

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1.  Bama
  2. Clemson
  3. Penn State
  4. Washington

POTD (Shared)

Shouldn't Washington be ranked ahead of both OSU and Clemson? They won their conference, and won their conference title game by five scores.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I don't know why Herbstreit is so certain that Ohio State is a lock.  (Other than that's where his diploma came from.)  They were the lone team in the top 4 that didn't play this week nor did they win a conference championship game.  I think, of the top 4 coming in, OSU is the one in the most trouble.

We now have distinctions to go with these completed resumes.  Alabama is a conference champion, as is Clemson and Washington.  All played top 25 teams, so their schedule strengths should only improve.  They played an extra game.  They have 13 data points.

Penn State plays the extra game, and it's against a top-10 team.  Their stock rises the most.  And PSU has a distinction...Big Ten champion.  They should pass Michigan (who lost two of their last three games) and put them in a position to be next to Ohio State in the rankings.

The rankings should be:

1. Alabama

2 & 3. Clemson/Washington (order doesn't really matter, aside from jersey selection...committee & bowl likely wants the Pac-12 team in the westernmost bowl)

4. Penn State

5. Ohio State

6. Michigan

7. Oklahoma

I think Penn State'a 39-point loss to Michigan is going to be the reason they don't get in, though I could be wrong. I think this debate is exclusively between Penn State and Ohio State. Washington should be safe after winning by 5 scores against a top 10 team. I see it playing out like this:

1. Alabama 

2. Clemson 

3. Washington 

4. Ohio State 

Orange - Michigan/Florida State 

Cotton - Wisconsin/Western Michigan

Rose - Penn State/USC

Sugar - Oklahoma/Auburn

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

18 minutes ago, DScruggy729 said:

I think Penn State'a 39-point loss to Michigan is going to be the reason they don't get in, though I could be wrong. I think this debate is exclusively between Penn State and Ohio State. Washington should be safe after winning by 5 scores against a top 10 team. I see it playing out like this:

1. Alabama 

2. Clemson 

3. Washington 

4. Ohio State 

Orange - Michigan/Florida State 

Cotton - Wisconsin/Western Michigan

Rose - Penn State/USC

Sugar - Oklahoma/Auburn

Ugh.  Stick them in the Pinstripe Bowl after tonight 

POTD (Shared)

Archived