2016 NCAA Football Thread

CS85

Ohio State has been completely outclassed but, only down 17, I think they can very well still win this one.

This game really doesn't feel all that different from the Clemson/Louisville game this year.

IUe6Hvh.png

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So over the past three years, we've had six playoff games; five of them were blowouts, and two of them were shutouts. I like that we have a playoff system, but I at least want to see some competitive matches at least.

I mean jeez, Ohio State didn't even show tonight. Utterly pathetic performance all around.

NSFCvyu.png

Washington started out fast, but then Alabama figured it out. It was a lot like the USC game: They forced Washington to be one dimensional and forced turnovers. It also didn't help that a 2nd string RB basically had his way with the defense today.

Am I disappointed? Yeah... I am. But, this is a culmination of bringing the name back to glory. Remember, it was just 8 years ago where Washington went 0-12. Now, do I expect another playoff run next year? No... winning the North would be good enough for me.

2 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

Washington started out fast, but then Alabama figured it out. It was a lot like the USC game: They forced Washington to be one dimensional and forced turnovers. It also didn't help that a 2nd string RB basically had his way with the defense today.

Am I disappointed? Yeah... I am. But, this is a culmination of bringing the name back to glory. Remember, it was just 8 years ago where Washington went 0-12. Now, do I expect another playoff run next year? No... winning the North would be good enough for me.

I mentioned after the SEC Championship that Alabama could be beaten.  Their defense is like a diesel engine...it takes a little bit of time to get going, but once they're on, look out.  To beat Alabama, you've got to score as many points as possible early on, then run the ball and shorten the game.  A freshman QB and an offense that does struggle at time can keep the other team in the hunt.  It also really helps to have a dual-threat QB.

Alabama played a pretty lousy game on offense, and the game was still put away in the 3rd quarter.  And now Nick Saban sees the Clemson offense for a second time....more often than not, Saban's adjustments in the second game are astounding.

8 hours ago, 2001mark said:

Anyone clamoring for 16 team playoff can stand over there.

Way.  Way.  Over there.

No.  Further.

I have always been open to 8 teams (which mark my words, will happen because of $$$) but I maintain that 4 is a perfect number.

9 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

I mentioned after the SEC Championship that Alabama could be beaten.  Their defense is like a diesel engine...it takes a little bit of time to get going, but once they're on, look out.  To beat Alabama, you've got to score as many points as possible early on, then run the ball and shorten the game.  A freshman QB and an offense that does struggle at time can keep the other team in the hunt.  It also really helps to have a dual-threat QB.

Alabama played a pretty lousy game on offense, and the game was still put away in the 3rd quarter.  And now Nick Saban sees the Clemson offense for a second time....more often than not, Saban's adjustments in the second game are astounding.

Which Browning is very much not... he can scramble from time to time, but he's a pocket passer through and through. Alabama did the right thing: Contained the run game and forced Washington to be one dimensional. Not much you can do against that defense if you're one dimensional.

22 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

I have always been open to 8 teams (which mark my words, will happen because of $$$) but I maintain that 4 is a perfect number.

I think 8 is a good number - Power 5 conf titlists no matter what, 1 Group of 5, + 2 highest ranked outside those.  

Ideally I would scrap the entire conferences as is, 4 geographic super conferences, thus delivering conference title games as elite 8.  Rankings would vastly diminish because some confs could have 3 high ranked teams - deal with it.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

2 hours ago, 2001mark said:

I think 8 is a good number - Power 5 conf titlists no matter what, 1 Group of 5, + 2 highest ranked outside those.  

Ideally I would scrap the entire conferences as is, 4 geographic super conferences, thus delivering conference title games as elite 8.  Rankings would vastly diminish because some confs could have 3 high ranked teams - deal with it.

The 2/3 game, which is supposed to always be the tight game, has seen 38-0 and 31-0 games the last two years.  We don't need four blowout first-round games.

And you're drunk on the belief of doing away with conferences.  Sure, college football showed they would sell their soul for money once Nebraska and Oklahoma stopped playing each other, but conference (and even non-conference) rivalries mean a lot.  And what's the point of having 16-team conferences if you aren't able to play someone in your conference for like 10 years?  Texas A&M has been in the SEC for five seasons now, and Georgia has yet to play them, nor will they play them until 2019.

2 hours ago, 2001mark said:

The Group of 5 have some members already considering their own "playoff".

From the original story:

Northern Illinois athletic director Sean Frazier is among a growing number of Group of 5 officials that favor adding a playoff specifically for the Group of 5 schools.

"It's time to have a realistic conversation about creating a playoff for the Group of 5," Frazier told ESPN. "Why not?"

It's been 32 years since a non-Power 5 team won a national championship (BYU in 1984) and it likely will never happen again in the current format. In the first three years of the College Football Playoff, a Group of 5 team has never ranked higher than No. 13 (Memphis in the 2015 initial rankings) by the CFB Playoff selection committee.

“There is absolutely no ability for us (teams in the Group of Five) to be in that national title conversation,” Frazier said. “That’s just reality. Anyone that says we can: That’s a flat-out lie."

"As long as the financial agreement that currently exists with the CFB Playoff remains and we had the opportunity to package a Group of 5 championship, why wouldn't we want to do it?" a Group of 5 official said. "It would spread the exposure to all five conferences, rather than just the one conference champion that plays in a New Year's 6 bowl."

But another AD came back to say,

"You mean compete for a junior varsity championship?" one Group of 5 AD said. "No thanks."

Archived