Fun With Flags!!!!

Sport

Montpelier VT has also gotten in on the fun.

Just last week, the city announced its new city flag winner, seen here:

finalist2.thumb.jpg.0a379e6f50edd4e14ace9a8f4ffb2bc1.jpg

The minimalist winning design, by East Montpelier native Chet Larrow, features rolling green hills topped by a navy-blue sky. Centered in the blue field is a circle of 14 golden stars. Larrow is an industrial designer for Key Technologies in Baltimore, Md.

In a press release issued earlier today, Larrow is quoted as saying his entry "emphasizes Montpelier's representation of the 14 counties as well as [Vermont] being the 14th state to join the union. The gold stars are displayed in a circle to subtly represent the iconic round dome that both visitors and locals come to associate the city with."

The runners-up and the stories behind them are here:

Document.thumb.jpg.181920297a71660a363a3ed43f64b8cf.jpg5963cdde0ea00_Document(1).thumb.jpg.c9a73b56811b4dcd8e25d1340ba6f1fd.jpg

And of course, the outgoing monstrosity (seriously):

us-vtmpr.gif.58b8dd81b563065fcfedd55cd19c978d.gif

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

That's very nice, although the colors seem a bit dour.  Are those stars a dark gold or is it just my phone?  If they're a standard gold, it'll look pretty good. 

I think I prefer the first runner-up to the winner, with its green abstracted Vermont shape.  I know the designer is going for a Green Mountain Boys thing with those white stars, but they just look like clutter to me.  I'd drop them entirely and just use the green and blue fields with gold star.  

Edit: holy cow, I just looked at a map and realized that the gold star is marking the city's location.

Document.jpg

vermont 

That's clever.  Almost a Madison, Wisconsin level of clever.  Shame they went a different direction. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Buc said:

finalist2.thumb.jpg.0a379e6f50edd4e14ace9a8f4ffb2bc1.jpg

Montpelier has aspirations to join the EU now?

(I know the EU has 12 stars but it's still waaaay too similar for my taste)

I too like the abstract Vermont Shape.  Strange that both to them could almost work for a VT State flag.  The winning design having 14 stars signifying VT as the 14th State, the runner up with the shape of the state coupled with an enlarged version of the Union from the Green Mountain Boys flag.

Just make it easier and change Vermont's flag to the Green Mountain Boys flag. It's almost an unofficial symbol of the state at this point anyways.

Flag of the Vermont Republic.svg

• Like 2

More fun with flags...

This one isn't new, but I don't think it's yet been covered:

5968072c2e7ef_Flag_of_Des_Moines_Iowa.svg.png.4f76f1314e6d405649853d5e06055fd4.png

This is the civic flag of Des Moines, Iowa--long been one of favorites for its uniqueness. There really isn't a good reason stated for the angled edge on the red canton...but the three white aqueduct-looking shapes are...pretty much just that, which represent the Grand, Walnut, and Locust Street bridges across the Des Moines River into its downtown. The colors are meant to mimic those of the U.S.A. (with the blue having the double entendre of representing water).

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

13 hours ago, Buc said:

More fun with flags...

This one isn't new, but I don't think it's yet been covered:

5968072c2e7ef_Flag_of_Des_Moines_Iowa.svg.png.4f76f1314e6d405649853d5e06055fd4.png

This is the civic flag of Des Moines, Iowa--long been one of favorites for its uniqueness. There really isn't a good reason stated for the angled edge on the red canton...but the three white aqueduct-looking shapes are...pretty much just that, which represent the Grand, Walnut, and Locust Street bridges across the Des Moines River into its downtown. The colors are meant to mimic those of the U.S.A. (with the blue having the double entendre of representing water).

I've seen this flag multiple times among flag comparisons and I never see the bridges/aqueducts first.  I always see blue mounds or hills on a white sky.  Once I focus I can see it but it's such a weird trick with this flag for me

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

old countries that do not exist (or has change hands)

Rhodesia

Flag

its anthem

which is why Ode to Joy is not played in Zimbabwe without causing issue.  

East Germany

Flag of East Germany.svg

Kingdom of Yugoslavia

Flag

From WW2 (Axis Puppet Countries)

Italian Social Republic

File:War flag of the Italian Social Republic.svg

Run by Il Duce

Manchukuo 

Flag

Run by Puyi (of The Last Emperor fame)

• Like 1

so long and thanks for all the fish.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Viola73 said:

Well, it looks like Montreal has a new flag...and Coat of Arms to go with it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/montreal-flag-amherst-indigenous-1.4287015

Old:

220px-Flag_of_Montreal_%281939-2017%29.s

New:

Flag of Montreal.svg

I really like this update.  Doesn't change the original intent of the flag but also recognizes the Indigenous Population as well.  Very smooth update IMO

• Like 8

On 7/14/2017 at 8:42 AM, Pharos04 said:

I've seen this flag multiple times among flag comparisons and I never see the bridges/aqueducts first.  I always see blue mounds or hills on a white sky.  Once I focus I can see it but it's such a weird trick with this flag for me

It looks like a bunch of bowling ball returns to me.

• Like 2
packchampionslfroh.png

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I just rummaged through the database of Croatian city flags and just wanted to show you the uncovered gems I've found under a mountain of SOB flags (seal on a bedsheet flags).

1. Varaždin (currently in use):

59f644f674acd_Varadin.gif.2502c206cff3337c7bc6cb829a9c1e9b.gif

2. Pula (currently in use):

Pula.gif.cc87529ef4ef81d2af066b7b0b23df2f.gif

3. Čakovec (was used from '93 to '94, It's a shame 'cause it was replaced by an SOB flag):

59f647ffcae85_akovec93-94.png.a96b98806287580c1ffd2c69ccf92b27.png

Bonus! It's not a city flag but the flag of the Faculty of Mining, Geology and Petroleum Engineering in Zagreb:

rgn.gif.67fdd310036c0b7bc21d50ea7b6a8738.gif

But now this, this is something every citizen of Split should be ashamed of:

Spoiler

Split.jpg.2503445ac8726b596b8340fae6b228b6.jpg

This is 100% real.

And yes, that is a gradient...

• Like 1

This one kinda snuck by the radars.  Apparently in August, Mauritania changed their national flag with a referendum.

from

220px-Flag_of_Mauritania_%281959%E2%80%932017%29.svg.png

to

255px-Flag_of_Mauritania.svg.png

The obvious difference being the addition of the two red stripes that "symbolize the blood shed in the struggle for independence from France in 1960".  However, this isn't without massive controversy. " The ‘oui’ vote also amended Mauritania’s constitution to abolish the Senate, which functions as the upper house of parliament."  This has been described as a massively cunning and sneaky move by the President(dictator) which used the vote as a means of propaganda. Voting to keep the Senate also meant voting against honoring the martyrs from the independence fight. 

While I do like the design a bit better with the two stripes, this makes New Zealand's recent referendum and the backlash against it look like a spitting contest compared to what's going on in Mauritania.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, OliverP said:

Bonus! It's not a city flag but the flag of the Faculty of Mining, Geology and Petroleum Engineering in Zagreb:

rgn.gif.67fdd310036c0b7bc21d50ea7b6a8738.gif

Reminds me of the Polish soccer club GKS Belchatow.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeWKW4RtnRv45yFdQBJCF

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

On 9/14/2017 at 9:28 AM, Pharos04 said:

Old:

220px-Flag_of_Montreal_%281939-2017%29.s

New:

Flag of Montreal.svg

I really like this update.  Doesn't change the original intent of the flag but also recognizes the Indigenous Population as well.  Very smooth update IMO

That's a good looking flag, both before and after the update. I appreciate the acceptance of the Indigenous folks.

Edited by Ice_Cap
let's not get into that