Fun With Flags!!!!

Sport

• 2 weeks later...

320px-Flag_of_India.svg.png

India's flag has always been a favorite of mine, namely because of how it incorporates the Ashoka Chakra (symbolizing the "eternal wheel of law" and tying the nation to the Edicts of Ashoka, commissioned by Mauryan Emperor Ashoka in the third century BCE) alongside the green, white, and saffron bands.

320px-Flag_of_Maryland.svg.png

Maryland's flag is the perfect demonstration of an effective way to incorporate heraldic symbols into a flag without compromising aesthetics. That said, it does not belong on sports logos.

320px-Flag_of_the_Japanese_Emperor.svg.p

The Emperor of Japan's flag, a golden 16-petaled Chrysanthemum on a red background. It ties in well with the national flag, while also incorporating a historical symbol of the Imperial throne that dates back to the 12th century (the Chrysanthemum). Also, Japanese prefecture flags are an excellent demonstration of how to follow the rules of vexillology while incorporating significant regional symbols (often in the form of stylized kanji).  

320px-Flag_of_Portland_Oregon.svg.png

I grew to like the Portland, Oregon flag when I lived there for undergrad. The colors are striking (with a tiny vexillogical violation of dark gold and white touching), the pattern is an interesting take on the Nordic cross style, and it fits well within the green/blue aesthetic of Cascadian flags. 

320px-Flag_of_Denver,_Colorado.svg.png

Denver's flag carries the symbolism of the sun and mountains (two well-recognized attributes of the city), rendered in an eye-pleasing rendition of the red/blue/white/yellow color scheme.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

320px-Flag_of_Maryland.svg.png

Maryland's flag is the perfect demonstration of an effective way to incorporate heraldic symbols into a flag without compromising aesthetics. That said, it does not belong on sports logos.

I guess this counts as an unpopular opinion, but I'd say that aesthetics are pretty severly compromised here.  I've always considered Maryland's flag to be a big mess, with the shoving together of two disparate elements, and the pointless repetition of these elements.

The flag of Baltimore is more coherent.

us-md-b.gif

• Like 3

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

• 1 month later...

500px-Flag_of_Madison,_Wisconsin.svg.png

One of my favorites: Madison, Wisconsin. 

Blue represents Lakes Mendota and Monona, the white stripe represents the isthmus between these two lakes, the black cross represents the four lakes of the area (Mendota, Monona, Wingra, and Waubesa) as well as the outline of the Capitol building, and then a Native sun a la New Mexico. 

Not bad considering Wisconsin and some its flags *cough* Milwaukee *cough*

440px-Flag_of_Milwaukee,_Wisconsin.svg.p

spacer.png