McCarthy

Fun With Flags!!!!

Recommended Posts

A crescent moon, in the same colour, would work brilliantly, given what the flag represents;

 

Quote

Image result for estonian flag forest

Always liked Estonia's just because of this picture. Based on the Estonian forests in the winter

 

The gold looks really good, just not sold on the hammer and sickle

 

Estonia flag modified.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont know if this has been posted, but I came across this concept for a new Minnesota state flag from 1989 known as the "Northstar Flag". (anyone know if they sell these anywhere?)

mnflag-graphic1.gif

sally1.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On January 6, 2017 at 10:23 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

 

That's what happens when one proceeds from such a faulty premise.

 

Which faulty premise is that? That the Soviets were oppressors?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Which faulty premise is that? That the Soviets were oppressors?

 

Yes.

 

The Soviet Union liberated Estonia and the other Baltic states from the Nazis after Germany had violated the non-aggression pact by invading those countries.  (This should be no surprise, as the Soviet Union ultimately saved the entire world by defeating the Nazis.)

 

Even though the Soviet Union descended into autocracy in the late Stalin period, and later further degraded into cronyism, it was on the whole a liberating and civilising force.  It was the first state not based on any of the traditional evils of crowns, gods, or property, but on self-government by the workers -- by the people who create all value apart from the natural.

 

In this centennial year of the Soviet Union"s founding, class-conscious proletarians reflect on its proud legacy.  This is a legacy which reverberates globally, as the Revolution and the successful decades immediately thereafter inspired workers to unite and to work for our collective interests.  Every worker-protection law in the world can ultimately be traced back to social movements that were energised and inspired by the victory of workers in seizing state power in the Soviet Union.

 

The founding of the Soviet Union as the world's first workers' state will forever stand as the high point in human history.  This is why I proudly fly the Soviet flag at home and at work.  (In both cases next to the Esperanto flag and the flag of New York City.)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

 

Yes.

 

The Soviet Union liberated Estonia and the other Baltic states from the Nazis after Germany had violated the non-aggression pact by invading those countries.  (This should be no surprise, as the Soviet Union ultimately saved the entire world by defeating the Nazis.)

 

Even though the Soviet Union descended into autocracy in the late Stalin period, and later further degraded into cronyism, it was on the whole a liberating and civilising force.  It was the first state not based on any of the traditional evils of crowns, gods, or property, but on self-government by the workers -- by the people who create all value apart from the natural.

 

In this centennial year of the Soviet Union"s founding, class-conscious proletarians reflect on its proud legacy.  This is a legacy which reverberates globally, as the Revolution and the successful decades immediately thereafter inspired workers to unite and to work for our collective interests.  Every worker-protection law in the world can ultimately be traced back to social movements that were energised and inspired by the victory of workers in seizing state power in the Soviet Union.

 

The founding of the Soviet Union as the world's first workers' state will forever stand as the high point in human history.  This is why I proudly fly the Soviet flag at home and at work.  (In both cases next to the Esperanto flag and the flag of New York City.)

 

 

 

1240265992468.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DouglasQuaid said:

I dont know if this has been posted, but I came across this concept for a new Minnesota state flag from 1989 known as the "Northstar Flag". (anyone know if they sell these anywhere?)

mnflag-graphic1.gif

 

 

I'm a big fan of this flag, and have bought one in the past; Herold Flags sells them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow. Did not see this coming in the Fun With Flags!!!! thread.

 

Edit: @Ferdinand Cesarano, do you see any irony in the fact that in one thread you yell at someone for saying women aren't oppressed, and then basically tell the Estionian people that they were "civilized" by the USSR and not, in fact, oppressed themselves?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys, let's not allow a discussion of flags to devolve into a political debate over communism.

 

Also, that's by far the weirdest sentence I've ever said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cosmic said:

 

 @Ferdinand Cesarano, do you see any irony in the fact that in one thread you yell at someone for saying women aren't oppressed, and then basically tell the Estionian people that they were "civilized" by the USSR and not, in fact, oppressed 

 

1 hour ago, Zeus89725 said:

Guys, let's not allow a discussion of flags to devolve into a political debate over communism.

 

Also, that's by far the weirdest sentence I've ever said.

 

I will claim the right to answer briefly the question that was put directly to me: there is no irony but a consistency, a commitment in both instances to the accurate description of reality.

 

I'll note also that my initial comments on the Estionian flag were all design-related, starting with my critical comment about its deviation from vexillological norms, through my comment conceding at the sight of a dramatically stunning photo that this deviation was justified, and going right through to the comment in which I added the hammer and sickle (a symbol which I not only love for its profound meaning, but which I admire for the beauty of its design).  My most recent long comment was in response to two question that were put directly to me.  

 

I'll not continue the conversations about history and ideology right here; but, because flags are used primarily to express identity and deeply-held principles (as everyone who likes flags knows), we ought not be surprised that a discussion of flags should include such a detour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On January 8, 2017 at 1:38 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

 

The Soviet Union liberated Estonia and the other Baltic states 

 

some say liberate, others say occupied. Theres a reason why Soviet monuments in former Warsaw Pact nations are being torn down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I'm not a big fan of the flag of my homestate South Dakota. They had a great design until they relinquished clain to the title of "The Sunshine State" to Florida. After that they just slapped the state seal on the sun and called it "The Mount Rushmore State." In 1989 a home grown artist by the name of Dick Termes came up with a design that, over the years, beame popular enough to bring a "motion to change the flag" to the legislature in 2012. That motion failed and we are still stuck with a boring, unoriginal design.

Flag_of_South_Dakota_(1909-1963).svg.png

nunst067.png

Terms.jpg

I have been tinkering with my own version of a SD flag and have narrowed it down to 3 options. I'm looking for some feedback on their shapes, I will clean up a final version once it's narrowed down.

All three incorporate the sun shape, that has always been a part of the flag, combined with an outer ring of red diamonds. The outer ring creates a look similar to a Lakota War Bonnet design (this adds a Native American element).

I also added a circle of color to the center of the sun to give the look of a sunflower which is one of our states leading crops (this adds an agricultural element).

Finally they all show some sort of stripe that moves behind the sun and expands to the right of the design, this is depicting our expanding future, the way that products goods and services from our state shine accross the country, and it helps re-inforce the agricultural aspect by creating the look of an old fashioned windmill (our state is expanding rapidly in the modern wind turbine/energy industry).

 

1.

P1a.png

2.

P2a.pngP2a1.png

3. This concept adds the shape of the Lakota medicine wheel.

P2b.pngP2b1.png

 

Please let me know what you think of the concepts.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys are lucky, my town doesn't evenarrow-10x10.png have a flag. Here's our logo. If we had a flag it would probably just be that same thing but the tree is at the bottom and bigger.

fb_default.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, ECUFan25 said:

You guys are lucky, my town doesn't evenarrow-10x10.png have a flag. Here's our logo. If we had a flag it would probably just be that same thing but the tree is at the bottom and bigger.

fb_default.png

 

I wish my own city would ditch the city seal and simply use the tricolor they have, or ditch the full seal and maybe just go with the image and the year instead.

 

255px-Flag_of_San_Diego,_California.svg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too have been wishing NYC would just use the tricolor instead of including the city seal. 

 

1024px-NYC_Flag.jpg

 

In our case, it's the city seal minus its Latin inscription, which I guess is a plus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I too have been wishing NYC would just use the tricolor instead of including the city seal. 

 

1024px-NYC_Flag.jpg

 

In our case, it's the city seal minus its Latin inscription, which I guess is a plus. 

 

 

The tricolour would have been nice if that had been the choice from the beginning.

But the seal is clear enough, with figures representing the Dutch and the Lenape.  Also, the seal has been sharpened up since the 1970s, and is recognisable even at a distance.  So I don't think I'd want to drop it now, notwithstanding the obvious aesthetic appeal of the simple tricolour.

I tend to think of our flag as pretty much untouchable. 

Side note: I wear it on my bike helmet, along with the flags of Philadelphia and Washington, cities to which I have ridden.

helmet.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

But the seal is clear enough...

That's what makes it work for me. I would be for ditching the seal on the NYC flag if it was overly detailed. They've simplified it and sharpened it though. It's a bit busy, but still pretty clear. Plus it's just a nice looking seal. I would keep it as-is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The LA flag has the same issue.

 

IMG_1968.PNG

 

Then you have my city that completely phoned it in.

 

IMG_1969.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Got you beat: 

 

us-carcu.gif

 

That "seal" on a white flag.

Is your city owned by Olive Garden by any chance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.