Colorado

Arizona

Alaska

Overrated:

Texas

Tennessee

California

Worst State Flags:

The ones that just put a seal or photo with lettering on them such as Washington or Wisconsin or Kentucky. 

The best state flags to me are:

Colorado

Connecticut

New Jersey

New York

California

Florida

I don't think I have any least favorite US flags. Not that I think they're bad, but most of them are decent nonetheless.

13 minutes ago, radicallus_soullus said:

The best state flags to me are:

Colorado

Connecticut

New Jersey

New York

California

Florida

I don't think I have any least favorite US flags. Not that I think they're bad, but most of them are decent nonetheless.

If California simplified the bear on the flag, it would hands down be one of the best state flags. Even though New York is my home state, I just hate flags with crests. I just cannot stand them.

My favorite state flags are the following:

Texas

California

Rhode Island

Alaska 

Alabama

New Mexico

Maryland

Colorado

Tennessee

And I'll throw in Indiana and Ohio because I'm half and half on those.

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

"Winners never quit, and quitters never win." ~Vince Lombardi

15 minutes ago, ZionEagle said:

If California simplified the bear on the flag, it would hands down be one of the best state flags. Even though New York is my home state, I just hate flags with crests. I just cannot stand them.

My favorite state flags are the following:

Texas

California

Rhode Island

Alaska 

Alabama

New Mexico

Maryland

Colorado

Tennessee

And I'll throw in Indiana and Ohio because I'm half and half on those.

Well, I'm okay with the New York City flag more than the New York State flag. I like Florida the best, since I like of how the red X seems to be fitting towards the emblem.

4 minutes ago, radicallus_soullus said:

Well, I'm okay with the New York City flag more than the New York State flag. I like Florida the best, since I like of how the red X seems to be fitting towards the emblem.

True. I don't mind the NYC flag, but crests on state flags get old. 

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

1 minute ago, radicallus_soullus said:

Yeah. I just like the NYS flag with the design. Not with the crests, but with how it represents New York decently with the Hudson River.

Point taken. If New York could find a way to simplify and keep the main elements of the flag I would have no problem with it.

Welcome to the boards btw :P 

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

My favorites no order,image.png

Texas come and take it flag, do you know the story??????image.jpeg

frisco tximage.png

ft. Worth tximage.png

Swaziland (might of spelled it wrong)image.jpeg

Texas image.jpeg

i don't know apparently it's from ice age but it's the best on this list

Excellent!

On 8/22/2016 at 10:54 AM, McCarthy said:

Best State Flags:

Ohio

Maryland

New Mexico

South Carolina

Colorado

Arizona

Alaska

Overrated:

Texas

Tennessee

California

Worst State Flags:

The ones that just put a seal or photo with lettering on them such as Washington or Wisconsin or Kentucky. 

Generally agree with the best and worst here for state flags of the United States.

For Canadian provincial and territorial flags generally don't care for the ones with the union jack in the upper left corner (Ontario or Manitoba) or with a shield/coat of arms (except for the way Nova Scotia did it).  If I had to choose a best one it would be New Brunswick.

2000px-Flag_of_New_Brunswick.svg.png

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

7 hours ago, greyraven8 said:

If I had to choose a best one it would be New Brunswick.

2000px-Flag_of_New_Brunswick.svg.png

Why? I think it's too detailed and looks to blocky. The red lion/whatever at the top just looks out of place. If it were up to me, I'd take that out and move the ship up.

13 minutes ago, Zeus89725 said:

Why? I think it's too detailed and looks to blocky. The red lion/whatever at the top just looks out of place. If it were up to me, I'd take that out and move the ship up.

Then you would lose part of the heraldry. A flag isn't a logo. You can't think of it in terms of design only. You need to consider history.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2016 at 2:56 PM, radicallus_soullus said:

I love the NYC tricolor, but hate that they slapped a seal on it.

And FWIW, the NYC flag is wrong on Wikipedia, which means it's wrong in a lot of places online.

JQj7Jei.png

The Wikipedia version uses a round seal rather than the city's oblong one.  The city flag also uses a simplified version of the seal without the motto banner.

All the more reason to ditch the seal altogether.  The tricolor doesn't actually need anything else - it's distinctive and effective - but if we really must have a symbol on the flag it should be a simpler, more iconic one.

bGjzatS.png

• Like 10

TIL that when they first added stars to the US flag for Vermont and Kentucky, they also added stripes.  The "star-spangled banner" that Francis Scott Key wrote about had 15 stars and 15 stripes.  The next update went to 20 stars, but back to 13 stripes.

1500px-US_flag_15_stars.svg.png

7 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

You'd think they would have looked at the 2000 miles to the west and said to themselves "fellas, I don't think we're going to have room for all those stripes."

We'd barely have room for the stars, either, if there were more Vermonts, Rhode Islands, and Delawares out west instead of Texas, Montana, California, etc.!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cosmic said:

TIL that when they first added stars to the US flag for Vermont and Kentucky, they also added stripes.  The "star-spangled banner" that Francis Scott Key wrote about had 15 stars and 15 stripes.  The next update went to 20 stars, but back to 13 stripes.

1500px-US_flag_15_stars.svg.png

Thats the US flag that I own, and am the most proud of owning

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

On 15/08/2016 at 8:59 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

This flag is vexillologically unsound. Two colours that are not white or yellow should not abut one another without a strip of white or yellow (a "metal") between them.

The flags of Russia and Armenia are other notorious violators of this design principle which should be obvious.

Eesti_lipp.jpg

Image result for estonian flag forest

Always liked Estonia's just because of this picture. Based on the Estonian forests in the winter

• Like 14

On September 2, 2016 at 2:32 PM, kevsim1 said:

Eesti_lipp.jpg

Always liked Estonia's just because of this picture. Based on the Estonian forests in the winter

Gorgeous colour scheme, too, Tampa Bay Lightning, take notice.

• Like 2

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

On 9/1/2016 at 3:40 PM, Gothamite said:

I love the NYC tricolor, but hate that they slapped a seal on it.

And FWIW, the NYC flag is wrong on Wikipedia, which means it's wrong in a lot of places online.

JQj7Jei.png

The Wikipedia version uses a round seal rather than the city's oblong one.  The city flag also uses a simplified version of the seal without the motto banner.

All the more reason to ditch the seal altogether.  The tricolor doesn't actually need anything else - it's distinctive and effective - but if we really must have a symbol on the flag it should be a simpler, more iconic one.

bGjzatS.png

I wouldn't be so sure about that seal question. 

I have an official full-size 3 x 5 New York City flag on my wall that I bought from the City itself. The seal is round on that flag.

NYC flag.jpg

Also, I don't mind the seal being on the flag. It's beautiful in full size; but I realise that it is hard to make out in any other size. Still, I like the seal better than that torch concept, which I find a bit garish.

But I do agree that best of all would be a simple tricolour. I wish there were an official variant without the seal, the way there is for the flag of Spain.

On 9/2/2016 at 4:32 PM, kevsim1 said:

Eesti_lipp.jpg

This is a great shot. I would have to concede that this justifies the departure from vexillological guidelines.

Though I would be morally remiss if I did not suggest one fanciful improvement to the flag of this place that was for a long time a part of the Soviet Union:

Estonia flag modified.png

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png