Fun With Flags!!!!

Sport

3 hours ago, Atomic said:

Got you beat: 

us-carcu.gif

That "seal" on a white flag.

Yes but it's the best city name in the country, so you got that going for you.

• Like 2

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

On 1/8/2017 at 0:00 AM, DouglasQuaid said:

I dont know if this has been posted, but I came across this concept for a new Minnesota state flag from 1989 known as the "Northstar Flag". (anyone know if they sell these anywhere?)

mnflag-graphic1.gif

sally1.jpg

Funny you mention that!

The answer is yes--the creator (Lee Herold) lives in Rochester, Minnesota and you can get them from his store. I bought one from him when I was living in Rochester once I saw his story.

BTW, it looks great on a wall.

• Like 1

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

On 1/24/2017 at 5:40 PM, Ice_Cap said:

That's what makes it work for me. I would be for ditching the seal on the NYC flag if it was overly detailed. They've simplified it and sharpened it though. 

They've simplified it in terms of removing the Latin motto (although there are plenty of versions out there with the lotto included).  They've done nothing to "sharpen" it, though. 

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

They've simplified it in terms of removing the Latin motto (although there are plenty of versions out there with the [m]otto included).

They've done nothing to "sharpen" it, though. 

I believe they did.   The seal had, by the 1960s and 1970s, come to be drawn with very thin lines.  The versions of the flag since then (when the date was corrected from 1664 to 1625) have presented the seal in broader strokes that are more easily discerned from a distance.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

No, they didn't change it.  The only thing they did in the 1970s was change the date.  "Corrected" isn't really the right word, since even the city historians admit that 1625 is meaningless and arbitrary, chosen more to tweak the British than for any historical justification.  

The thickness of the strokes varies a lot from flag to flag, but that's a weakness of using the seal.  As is the shield, which changes from white to blue based on the manufacturer.  It's why I don't particularly like using the seal on the flag. 

On 2/5/2017 at 10:20 PM, Gothamite said:

No, they didn't change it.  The only thing they did in the 1970s was change the date.  "Corrected" isn't really the right word, since even the city historians admit that 1625 is meaningless and arbitrary, chosen more to tweak the British than for any historical justification.  

The thickness of the strokes varies a lot from flag to flag, but that's a weakness of using the seal.  As is the shield, which changes from white to blue based on the manufacturer.  It's why I don't particularly like using the seal on the flag. 

While the 1625 date is not precisely correct, it is not meaningless or arbitrary.  A better date would be 1624, which is when the Dutch started placing settlers in New Amsterdam; ideally, this is what the flag should say.  The most notable thing that happened in 1625 was that New Amsterdam became the capital of the entire New Netherland colony (which extended up the Hudson River to Albany, and also included all of today's New Jersey).

But 1664 was always wrong.  The date in the seal was changed from 1664 partly out of hostility to England on the part of an Irish-born New York politician of the 1970s.  But, regardless of the motives of this one politician, the fact is that our City was founded not by the English but by the Dutch; and the seal should reflect that.  So, the date of 1625 is a tad off; but it is much better than 1664.

And I am happy to report that the City's flag will appear on the jerseys of NYCFC this year.

villa.jpg

The team has done a good job utilising the New York City flag.  Their corner flags are New York City flags with the NYCFC logo in place of the seal (so City flags with the City logo).

Image result for nycfc corner flag

• Like 3

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The team has done a good job utilising the New York City flag.  Their corner flags are New York City flags with the NYCFC logo in place of the seal (so City flags with the City logo).

Image result for nycfc corner flag

I wish NYCFC would go whole hog and use the actual city flag, with the city seal, as their corner flags. Understand why they don't, to emphasize their own brand, but it would be such an awesome touch.

As it is, their corner flags do make great use of the city's flag design.

• Like 2

I'm glad they don't use the city seal, since the odds are wherever they got it, it would be wrong. 

But I'm thrilled they're using the city flag. I had this one made up before last season and we brought it to every match:

IMG_0951.JPG

Do do you think somebody from the club noticed us waving it at Yankee Stadium? :P

IMG_0952.JPG

• Like 4