infrared41's Best and Worst 2016 - NFL Week 2

infrared41

Another week of solid uniform match ups. We had some really good looking games, only one not so good looking game, and a "close, but no cigar" game that came this close to me tossing convention out the window and putting it on the best list.

Put 60 seconds on the clock and let's play our game. As always, these lists are just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Worst

1. Buccaneers - Cardinals: Both of these uniforms have elements that are pretty good. Both teams have a good color scheme and the Cardinals helmet is one of the best in the NFL. The problem with both of these sets is the execution. The bad pants stripes and unnecessary piping on the Cardinals uniforms was bad to begin with and now they're bad and they look dated. The Bucs...well...the Bucs just look silly. Both teams have plenty to work with. Now we just need someone to do the work.

Cards.jpg

Close, but no cigar...

1. Jaguars - Chargers: This one is a really good looking match up between bad uniforms. I was really tempted to put this one on the best list, but I decided against it.

There is no way around that Jags helmet and the Chargers stripes and forced colors issues. The sunshine really made the colors pop. I like the Chargers an all white and Jacksonville has been one bad helmet away from making the best list for the second consecutive week. If the Jags fixed the helmet and went with white pants full time, they would have one of the best modern looks in the NFL.  All San Diego needs to do is pick any one of it's prior uniforms and go with it.

Jags.jpg

2. Seahawks - Rams: I'd forgotten how good the Rams throwbacks look in natural light. The Seahawks pants brought a little too much blue to the party. If they had gone with white or gray, this one makes the best list. Still a very good looking game.

Rams%201.jpg

Best

1. Chiefs - Texans: Most of the time, I prefer an all white look over a white over dark color look, but this game wouldn't have looked quite as good if the Chiefs had gone all white. The game still would have looked great, but the red pants really made the colors work well together in this game. Great helmet match up too. 

Chiefs.jpg

2. Packers - Vikings: Two of the best looks in the league. Normally, this match up is a slam dunk #1, but this week I liked Chiefs - Texans just a little more.

Packers.jpg

3. 49ers - Panthers: I'm probably in the minority, but I think the Panthers all white is their best look. Add in the top 5 look of the 49ers and it's one of the best match ups of the week. Another great helmet match up.

49ers.jpg

4. Eagles - Bears: I like the Eagles white over green combo, but this game would have looked even better if they had gone all white. The Bears home uniforms always look great.

Bears.jpg

5. Dallas - Washington: I'm probably in the minority on this too, but I don't miss Washington's old white over burgundy combo even a little bit. Hey, has anyone else noticed that the Cowboys colors don't match? B)

Cowboys.jpg

Honorable mention:

Titans - Lions: Who knows? This might be the last match up between these two uniforms. A whole lotta light blue, but it still looked pretty good.

Lions.jpg

That's it for this week. Thanks for taking a look. We'll do it all again next week.

BB52Big.jpg

Boy, we sure had some treats this past weekend didn't we? One of those weeks where the bests were so good, I'd completely forgotten about the worsts.

I figured before the games began that Chiefs-Texans would be my #1, and it was. It's hard to beat the - in my opinion - best overall uniform in the league (KC) vs the league's best modern classic. However, I did find myself just about drooling over 49ers/Panthers. Fantastic color matchup, and the sunlight made the both uniforms pop. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Lets play the fun game of going back and looking at the pictures posted and count how many uniform violations we can find! 

NFL teams looked a hell of lot better back when there were actual RULES on how you were allowed to dress.  Not this sorry ass "Look at Me" crap we have now, where its turning more and more into the rec league NBA.  The Redskins are one of the worst in the league with this.  They have elements of their uniform (from jersey to pants to socks to shoes) that are all over the damn map.  Josh Norman in that photo looks like a damn fool from the waist down.  Nice mismatched socks (along with a sweet pair of golf socks that I'm sure look good at the country club) and groovy yellow shoes.  I'm sure Darrell Green looked the same way back in the day.  Or basically anyone who played before 2010.  He looks like a clown and he's allowed to look like a clown.

I think some people have forgotten its A UNIFORM.  Which means there should be UNIFORM elements that are UNIFORM.  Really NOBODY looks that good anymore when you examine these teams.  OR not as good as they used to look 5-10 years ago.

I gotta disagree with you on the Lions-Titans game. For me, it was the worst of the week.

TITANS_LIONS_FOOTBALL_41692354.JPG

Look how much light blue there is. It's just too much, IMO. The game would've looked a lot better if the Titans went all white. 

Also, I have to disagree with you saying the Cardinals helmet is one of the best in the league. There's no stripes and a gray facemask on a white shell, which make it the most boring helmet in the league. There is literally nothing interesting going on above the shoulders for Arizona. To make it worse, the helmet looks completely out of sync with an otherwise modern uniform. 

1 hour ago, fouhy12 said:

I gotta disagree with you on the Lions-Titans game. For me, it was the worst of the week.

Look how much light blue there is. It's just too much, IMO. The game would've looked a lot better if the Titans went all white. 

Also, I have to disagree with you saying the Cardinals helmet is one of the best in the league. There's no stripes and a gray facemask on a white shell, which make it the most boring helmet in the league. There is literally nothing interesting going on above the shoulders for Arizona. To make it worse, the helmet looks completely out of sync with an otherwise modern uniform. 

I thought Titans - Lions looked OK, that's why it got an HM. I agree that there was a lot of light blue, but I don't think it was anywhere close to the worst looking game of the week.

My guess is you're in the minority with your opinion of the Cardinals helmet, but I do agree that it doesn't work at all with their current uniforms. That helmet works best with a clean, traditional look...

neil_lomax_1986_09_07.jpgroy_green_1981_11_29.jpg

Anyway, differing opinions are always welcome and they're why we're here. Thanks for the input.

BB52Big.jpg

2 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

On a side note, the Lions endzone makes the home uniforms look really good. The old endzone bugged the hell out of me with the dark blue script. Also, I disagree about your assertion on the Cards helmet. I think it is a great helmet. Striping doesn't always make for a great shell (i.e. Patriots), I think it's the best white helmet in the league. Throw a white facemask on that puppy and it would look awesome.

12 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

I agree with you. I found it hard to watch on TV, especially with the blue endzones. The Titans could've saved it with either the navy or white pants. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

11 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Fair enough. So what would you do to spice it up?

I'm not sure. Maybe a different color facemask? Red? White? Or maybe some sort of center stripe design or try a matte finish. I actually like the Cardinal logo on the sides. It's as "fierce" as you can make a cardinal (or as we call them in the south, red birds) look without it being ridiculous.  

Current Vikings home vs. Packers road is arguably one of the most indefinitely beautiful football matchups in the history of the game.  I enjoyed watching the game partially because it was a fun contest, sure, but it made it all the more richer an experience with both teams looking fantastic.

Same goes for tuning into Cowboys vs. Redskins.  Washington's burgundy-over-yellow is amazing.  Love the socks over the yellow cleats, too.  Just a glorious aesthetic matchup that never gets old.  I was so happy that the Redskins got away from the tedious, awful years of wearing white or burgundy pants. 

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

13 hours ago, infrared41 said:

I thought Titans - Lions looked OK, that's why it got an HM. I agree that there was a lot of light blue, but I don't think it was anywhere close to the worst looking game of the week.

My guess is you're in the minority with your opinion of the Cardinals helmet, but I do agree that it doesn't work at all with their current uniforms. That helmet works best with a clean, traditional look...

neil_lomax_1986_09_07.jpgroy_green_1981_11_29.jpg

Anyway, differing opinions are always welcome and they're why we're here. Thanks for the input.

This is what I would do with the Cardinals helmets. 

dljnAlI.jpg

I also don't think Bucs-Cards was that bad looking. I'm not a huge fan of either uniform, but the colors looked good together on the field. That's why I think Lions-Titans was worse. 

48 minutes ago, fouhy12 said:

dljnAlI.jpg

I also don't think Bucs-Cards was that bad looking. I'm not a huge fan of either uniform, but the colors looked good together on the field. That's why I think Lions-Titans was worse. 

I like the Cardinals concept. Nice work.

As I said in my original post, both the Cards and Bucs have good color schemes, but good colors aren't enough to make a good looking match up. The uniforms have to look good too and both of those uniforms fall well short of looking good - in my opinion.

BB52Big.jpg

2 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

dljnAlI.jpg

Looks like Louisville, but I wish they went with this!!!

Oh and speaking of the Rams and Seahawks,

Compare this

Image result for Rams vs Seahawks 1980's

to this,

Image result for Rams vs Seahawks 1987

or,

Image result for Los Angeles Rams vs Seattle Seahawks 1980's

Archived