The Pointless Realignment Outpost

Lee.

8 hours ago, RoughRiders99 said:

Let me see if I got what you're saying right: 

2 18-team conferences
No divisions
But rather, there are "de facto" divisions/pods/locked rivals a la college football permanent rivals

Wouldn't that just make for an even more unbalanced schedule? 

Let's just pretend that NFL becomes like baseball's NL/AL style but with no interleague(conference) play and have each of these 18-team conferences have 3 divisions of 6 teams per for simplicity. 

• 10 games vs 5 divisional rivals (2 games per team, home/away)
  • 6 games vs 1 divisional (3 homes, 3 aways)
  • 1 game vs the team that finished in the same standings position in the other division
  • No inter-conference games. 

But assuming that the 4 Europe teams are all in one division together, then one conference would never play them. 

Not trying to disagree with you or anything. Just having an enjoyable conversation with you, I'd like to think. Yes, of course I want to keep as many rivals intact as we can. 

No it would probably remain 2 games (home/away) against 3 rivals for 6 games. Then just fill out the rest however; conference/interconference. I don't think we're ever gonna see a scenario with no interconference games. But if you add 4 (Euro) teams only for 36 and keep divisions, the only other way that would work is 3 conferences of 12 teams (3 divisions of 4 teams in each conference) with one getting the Euro division. Not gonna lie, I've done an alignment plan like this, but it works better in theory than when you think of it in reality. Too cumbersome and awkward, especially when it comes to the playoffs. My main point was, when it comes to adding a 4-team Euro division, you either have to go 2 conferences of 18 withOUT divisions, or add 4 more North American teams (or go 8 Euro teams, I guess, which is extremely drastic rather quick) and create 2 conferences of 20 teams split into 5 divisions of 4 in each conference.

Or more simply put, it's not as easy as simply just adding a division of 4 Euro teams.

• 1 month later...

Imagine if the NHL would somehow become a 36-team league.

new-36-team-nhl-league.jpg?fit=1333,1000

Assuming that Arizona remains in the NHL without relocation, but 4 new expansion teams are available. 3 of them are obvious. And the 4th one is a wild card, because oddly enough it was also a WHA original that didn't make the cut to join with the other WHA teams in the merged NHL at that time.

For total games, it should be 80 in total; with home-and-away against all non-division opponents [5 div. x 6 teams per div. x 2 = 60], then double home-and-away against division opponents [5 teams in own div. x 4 = 20]

• Like 2
Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

4 hours ago, jlog3000 said:

Imagine if the NHL would somehow become a 36-team league.

new-36-team-nhl-league.jpg?fit=1333,1000

Assuming that Arizona remains in the NHL without relocation, but 4 new expansion teams are available. 3 of them are obvious. And the 4th one is a wild card, because oddly enough it was also a WHA original that didn't make the cut to join with the other WHA teams in the merged NHL at that time.

For total games, it should be 80 in total; with home-and-away against all non-division opponents [5 div. x 6 teams per div. x 2 = 60], then double home-and-away against division opponents [5 teams in own div. x 4 = 20]

Hope you don't mind but just for the sake of discussion I re-did the Campbell divisions a bit

Not having Hartford and Boston together is rough but there's not really anything you can do about it

With Colorado coming to the Big XII/13/14 next year, who else comes along with them? Does anyone think this helps SMU or Memphis make the jump? UConn is also reportedly ready to jump over too, and I think it would be a big jump for them financially to get their basketball teams playing better competition than what is on offer in the Big East. 

https://www.si.com/college/westvirginia/big-12/who-should-the-big-12-target-next

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/colorado-approves-return-to-big-12-buffaloes-set-to-depart-pac-12-in-2024-after-13-seasons-with-conference/

"Previously, it was believed the Big 12 was interested in not only Colorado but the other so-called "Four Corners" schools from the Pac-12: Arizona, Arizona State and Utah. Whether that interest remains or can be rekindled remains to be seen.

The Big 12 sees the addition of Colorado as separate move from any additional expansion, which would potentially come at a later date, sources tell Dodd".

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

25 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

With Colorado coming to the Big XII/13/14 next year, who else comes along with them? Does anyone think this helps SMU or Memphis make the jump? UConn is also reportedly ready to jump over too, and I think it would be a big jump for them financially to get their basketball teams playing better competition than what is on offer in the Big East. 

https://www.si.com/college/westvirginia/big-12/who-should-the-big-12-target-next

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/colorado-approves-return-to-big-12-buffaloes-set-to-depart-pac-12-in-2024-after-13-seasons-with-conference/

"Previously, it was believed the Big 12 was interested in not only Colorado but the other so-called "Four Corners" schools from the Pac-12: Arizona, Arizona State and Utah. Whether that interest remains or can be rekindled remains to be seen.

The Big 12 sees the addition of Colorado as separate move from any additional expansion, which would potentially come at a later date, sources tell Dodd".

I think the Arizona pair and Utah are first priority, anyone else is down the list. 

Based on what I've been reading, Arizona alone seems to be the next domino waiting to fall in the Pac 12-Big 12 saga. Whether or not they end up causing Arizona State (and thus, Utah, as well) to follow suit, remains to be seen. I still believe that to be the endgame, however. All 3 of them joining the Big 12. Memphis/SMU are definite possibilities if the Pac-12 schools drag their feet too long. Or they could be added by the ACC in a proactive move.

I got that major itch for creating pointless realignments again 😎

NFL D-League sponsored by ExxonMobil

AFC East (affiliations in brackets)

Buffalo Wings (Buffalo Bills)

Fort Lauderdale Bottlenoses (Miami Dolphins)

Hartford Colonials (New England Patriots)

Long Island Pilots (New York Jets)

AFC North

Annapolis Marines (Baltimore Ravens)

Canton Bulldogs (Cleveland Browns)

Columbus Buckeyes (Cincinnati Bengals)

Erie Walleyes (Pittsburgh Steelers)

AFC South

Fort Wayne Ponies (Indianapolis Colts)

Gainesville Crocodiles (Jacksonville Jaguars)

Memphis Pharaohs (Tennessee Titans)

San Antonio Defenders (Houston Texans)

AFC West

Colorado Springs Mountaineers (Denver Broncos)

Kansas Blazing Stars (Kansas City Chiefs)

Reno Rangers (Las Vegas Raiders)

San Diego Seagulls (Los Angeles Chargers)

NFC East

Brooklyn Blues (New York Giants)

Fort Worth Lawmen (Dallas Cowboys)

Harrisburg Dutch (Philadelphia Eagles)

Northern Virginia Redhogs (Washington Commanders)

NFC North

Duluth Normans (Minnesota Vikings)

Lansing Lakers (Detroit Lions)

Milwaukee Packers (Green Bay Packers)

South Bend Celts (Chicago Bears)

NFC South

Athens Owls (Atlanta Falcons)

Baton Rouge Priests (New Orleans Saints)

Orlando Orange (Tampa Bay Buccaneers)

Raleigh Cats (Carolina Panthers)

NFC West

Anaheim Cherubs (Los Angeles Rams)

Silicon Valley Miners (San Francisco 49ers)

Tacoma Thunderhawks (Seattle Seahawks)

Tempe Firebirds (Arizona Cardinals)

Edited by TrueYankee26
Used some of jlog3000's suggestions

@TrueYankee26 Love the alignments. Although, if it was me, I would change some of the town names for those that are repeatables, and replace with towns or cities close to the main city market.

For instance: Fort Lauderdale or Boca Raton [MIA], Long Island [NYJ], Columbus [CIN], Erie [PIT], Victoria or Austin or San Antonio [HOU], Fort Wayne [IND], Memphis instead of Knoxville [TEN], Colorado Springs or Fort Collins or Boulder [DEN], Reno [LV], Fort Worth or Arlington [DAL], Brooklyn [NYG], Gainesville (Ga.) or Athens [ATL], Tempe or Tucson [ARIZ], Anaheim [LAR], and San Jose [SF].

Your thoughts?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

7 minutes ago, jlog3000 said:

@TrueYankee26 Love the alignments. Although, if it was me, I would change some of the town names for those that are repeatables, and replace with towns or cities close to the main city market.

For instance: Fort Lauderdale or Boca Raton [MIA], Long Island [NYJ], Columbus [CIN], Erie [PIT], Victoria or Austin or San Antonio [HOU], Fort Wayne [IND], Memphis instead of Knoxville [TEN], Colorado Springs or Fort Collins or Boulder [DEN], Reno [LV], Fort Worth or Arlington [DAL], Brooklyn [NYG], Gainesville (Ga.) or Athens [ATL], Tempe or Tucson [ARIZ], Anaheim [LAR], and San Jose [SF].

Your thoughts?

I had some of those cities in mind for the 2nd D-League lol, but I will use your suggestions

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TrueYankee26 said:

I had some of those cities in mind for the 2nd D-League lol, but I will use your suggestions

A 2nd D-League? That would be interesting. Like the NHL having its developmental leagues (the AHL and the ECHL), but for football.

For Arizona stay away from Tempe because of the fact that during football season you have the Sun Devils and same thing with Tucson with the Wildcats. Problem is if you move them to Prescott or Flagstaff you're going with snow. Probably smart to keep them in Glendale. 

1 minute ago, Gary said:

For Arizona stay away from Tempe because of the fact that during football season you have the Sun Devils and same thing with Tucson with the Wildcats. Problem is if you move them to Prescott or Flagstaff you're going with snow. Probably smart to keep them in Glendale. 

I was talking about secondary markets, NOT the MAIN market, in a developmental standpoint.

6 minutes ago, Gary said:

Tempe is in the same market as the Cardinals. I would go with Tucson if theres no college in your world, Albuquerque or Santa Fe

My world? Are you kidding? lol There is a reason for people to share some random concepts or ideas for certain leagues (pro or college levels alike), despite the fact that it will be obvious that it will never occur. Hence it's called "The Pointless Realignment Outpost".

P.S.: To be fair and to some extent on your behalf, those cities you mentioned, although not being from the state Arizona (as they are in New Mexico) would be fitting candidates for a 1st and 2nd D-Leagues respectively, if it were to occur.

2 hours ago, jlog3000 said:

My world? Are you kidding? lol There is a reason for people to share some random concepts or ideas for certain leagues (pro or college levels alike), despite the fact that it will be obvious that it will never occur. Hence it's called "The Pointless Realignment Outpost".

No, it's called "Pointless" because a lot of members didn't like others posting realignment ideas in threads, so once they finally created one for us, they called it "Pointless" because they found the general idea of realignment concepts pointless.

• Applause 1

On 7/29/2023 at 10:01 PM, TrueYankee26 said:

I got that major itch for creating pointless realignments again 😎

NFL D-League

AFC North

Annapolis Marines (Baltimore Ravens)

Canton Bulldogs (Cleveland Browns)

Columbus Buckeyes (Cincinnati Bengals)

Erie Walleyes (Pittsburgh Steelers)

A lot of your names are super clever, but you missed an opportunity of a lifetime by not naming Pittsburgh’s d-league team the Erie Iron. The absolute linguistic chaos that would ensue on people trying to correctly pronounce it.

• Like 1

Here is my prediction for a possible power conference endgame, whether as FBS, it's own level under the NCAA above FBS or as a breakaway. All four conferences end up with an even-across-the-board 18 teams.

A few changes:

- West Virginia leaves the Big 12 for the ACC: It's been discussed recently, and seems plausible that they'd prefer to be reunited with some to their old Big East rivals and avoid having to travel to the west coast for conference games.

- The Big Ten drags their feet and loses out on Stanford and California to the Big 12, who also add San Diego State to bring the total to 18 after losing West Virginia.

- Florida State and Clemson manage to leave the ACC for the SEC, but Notre Dame, feeling the pressure to join a conference has become to heavy to resist any longer, honors their deal and joins the ACC rather than trying to get out.

- The ACC decides to get into the Texas/western South territory by bringing in Memphis, Tulane (New Orleans) and SMU (Dallas). I couldn't decide between the last member; Rice brings Houston into the league, while Temple and UConn are in ACC territory, yet bring in markets they currently lack. Temple (Philadelphia) does, anyway. I included Liberty (Lynchburg, VA), but I think their recent success may not necessarily make them as attractive as some believe them to be.

ACC BIG TEN BIG 12 SEC
Boston College Illinois Arizona Alabama
Duke Indiana Arizona State Arkansas
Georgia Tech Iowa Baylor Auburn
Louisville Maryland BYU Clemson
Memphis Michigan California Florida
Miami Michigan State Cincinnati Florida State
North Carolina Minnesota Colorado Georgia
North Carolina State Nebraska Houston Kentucky
Notre Dame Northwestern Iowa State LSU
Pittsburgh Ohio State Kansas Mississippi Sate
SMU Oregon Kansas State Mizzou
Syracuse Penn State Oklahoma State Oklahoma
Tulane Purdue San Diego State Ole Miss
Virginia Rutgers Stanford South Carolina
Virginia Tech UCLA TCU Tennessee
Wake Forest USC Texas Tech Texas
West Virginia Washington UCF Texas A&M
Liberty/Rice/Temple/UConn Wisconsin Utah Vanderbilt
  • Like 2

On 8/3/2023 at 6:54 PM, DCarp1231 said:

A lot of your names are super clever, but you missed an opportunity of a lifetime by not naming Pittsburgh’s d-league team the Erie Iron. The absolute linguistic chaos that would ensue on people trying to correctly pronounce it.

Lol try saying it 8 times in a row and fast too