Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Kaplan has the article behind the paywall, but...

https://mobile.twitter.com/dkaplanSBJ/status/1122856679316643840

They handed over the league without making him sign a contract.

Tell me again how we need to lay all the problems at Dundon's feet.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:
21 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Kaplan has the article behind the paywall, but...

https://mobile.twitter.com/dkaplanSBJ/status/1122856679316643840

They handed over the league without making him sign a contract.

Tell me again how we need to lay all the problems at Dundon's feet.

Gladly.  Ebersol can be accused of poor judgement; but only Dundon is guilty of bad faith.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

11 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

You are correct, due to the fact that Cesar Romero is dead.

Likewise, Burgess Meredith was the best Penguin. That monstrosity that Danny DeVito played in Batman Returns doesn’t count. He’s just the mutant cousin of The Trashman.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-9w6uJJ7ao1kEdPWiCku

Speaking of IASIP, the AAF story is what would happen if The Gang operated a football league.

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Ebersol didn’t lie about the league before Dundon got involved?

As I understand it, Ebersol's claims about having the league fully funded were true when he made them, before Fowler flaked out. (Relying on Fowler was another example of bad judgement.)

4 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Who skipped town after training camps w/o having money to pay the bills Net30,60, or 90?  They even owe Wilson $15,000 for the damn footballs.

It was less than 30 days after training camp when the league secured Dundon's investment. He should be on the hook for that.

But we are now reading that the league somehow let Dundon in without having him assume any liability. Colossally bad judgement.

Look, I once invited a longtime friend to live with me after his wife dumped him. He stayed with me for a good ten years, promising me all along that he would split rent and bills. I never had him sign anything, even though he fell behind while promising that he would make good on his part of the expenses. He skipped out owing me $10,000. I'm guilty of poor judgment; he's guilty of bad faith. That is a decent parallel to what we have here.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

3 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Speaking of IASIP, the AAF story is what would happen if The Gang operated a football league.

DENNIS: Get this. People love football. People love apps. So it's the football league...that's also an app.

CHARLIE: Yeeeeeeeeeees! What does the app do?
MAC: Oh, everything.

CHARLIE: And what does the football league have to do with the app?
DENNIS: Nothing! That's the brilliance of it. It's the loss leader. 

CHARLIE: The loss leader.

MAC: Right. We lose money on the football so that we make money on the app.

CHARLIE: Okay, so then why don't we just do the app and not bother with the football? See I'm just trying to...

DENNIS: Because then we don't have a loss leader.

CHARLIE: Ohhhhh shiiiiiit, right, because if there's no leader, then there are no followers, and you need followers for social media. Guys I am putting like everything into this app right now.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

6 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

As I understand it, Ebersol's claims about having the league fully funded were true when he made them, before Fowler flaked out. (Relying on Fowler was another example of bad judgement.)

We'll need to see some evidence for that claim.  We know Ebersol lied about the league's finances (about not being able to meet payroll, if nothing else), and that can't be blamed on Dundon.

47 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

We'll need to see some evidence for that claim.  We know Ebersol lied about the league's finances (about not being able to meet payroll, if nothing else), and that can't be blamed on Dundon.

Fowler was to give them access to $28M, by Christmas but did not.  That was reported by SBJ/SBD Daniel Kaplan

In his second and last interview after the bankruptcy filing, Ebersol then told CBS Sports' Ben Kercheval the following.  Note the last sentence of the first paragraph. Ebersol says January, so this was in San Antonio when and where everyone was present. 

So the money would be made available to us through a facility, which had been set up over six months and vetted by and run through by multiple banks, both in the U.S. and international. Everything was signed off on and agreed to in contracts. The board signed off on it. Most of my major investors had access to all the information. A lot of my partners had access to the information. All of my GMs and head coaches met with my primary investor during January and had a chance to talk to him and understand the financing.  

What happened was -- really in the weeks leading up to the first game -- we started getting nervous about issues that were popping up with access to the capital. There were draw-down issues, a variety of different things that started happening that were preventing us from getting access to the capital. The money was on an as-needed basis so we could draw down. When that started happening we weren't in immediate trouble, but we knew we were going to have to find another protective source. 

They left San Antonio actually pulling a "Dine and Dash" as he was aware of the poor pre-season sales in all eight cities.

5 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Imagine the Joker running a football league. It would probably be pretty close to how the AAF was run apparently.

The Dark Knight Joker actually recovered the money he promised to recover, though. And actually saw his plans through (they would have worked without outside intervention).

2 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Just in...

I don't know much about bankruptcy. But Chapter 11 is the "we will be restored eventually and pay everything back" and Chapter 7 is the 'we're never coming back," right?

1 minute ago, Quillz said:

I don't know much about bankruptcy. But Chapter 11 is the "we will be restored eventually and pay everything back" and Chapter 7 is the 'we're never coming back," right?

Yep. AAF is officially dead versus already being dead.

1 minute ago, Red Comet said:

Yep. AAF is officially dead versus already being dead.

Wow. So anyone who had money in there (creditors, etc.) are completely out of luck? Sucks.

Archived