Rite of Spring 2018-“What happens in the playoffs stays in the playoffs”

ninersdd

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

Plus, they have the built-in advantage of visiting teams going on benders before every home game. Apparently, you can train bad behavior out of dogs better than you can hockey players. Should I bother with a league whose players are less than dogs?

Vegas is 6-2 on the road in the playoffs. It's not just guys getting wasted and overindulging at the buffets on the day of the game.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, the admiral said:

America's Sweetheart Ryan Reaves

I’m with you on this one. Dude’s a walking penalty. I don’t care that he scored today. That has been one of his only positive contributions.

26 minutes ago, Mac the Knife said:

Yeah, I'm sure.  Seattle gets the same terms as Vegas, at minimum.  $650 million isn't going to buy a 10-year doormat.  They won't get a cup in the first year, but they'll have similar expansion draft opportunities.

Vegas gets sellouts for 5 years off of this inaugural season, no matter how bad the team is.  They'll just have to carry their own water from that point is all.

Al Lerner paid $540 million.  Texans' group paid $700 million for terms that were scarcely more generous than Cleveland's.  And those terms were a willful correction after the Panthers and Jaguars made it to the Conference Finals in Year 2.

The league has no problem with creating a doormat in Seattle.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

47 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

Tbh I thought the MLS would gain more attraction that this league by now. THIS IS A GOOD THING. GO VEGAS

I don't know what's funnier, "gain more attraction that this league" or the idea that MLS should be more popular than the NHL.  Either way, I got a good laugh out of it. 

BB52Big.jpg

30 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

I guess the salty jets fan that got beat by an expansion team can’t handle themselves and be adult about sports

Actually, he's a salty Blackhawks fan. And he's pretty "adult" about most things. 

BB52Big.jpg

6 minutes ago, rams80 said:

Al Lerner paid $540 million.  Texans' group paid $700 million for terms that were scarcely more generous than Cleveland's.  And those terms were a willful correction after the Panthers and Jaguars made it to the Conference Finals in Year 2.

The league has no problem with creating a doormat in Seattle.

I’ve stated before how I fell about Vegas but I’ll interject again since it once again seems relevant. 

Were the expansion rules lax? Yes. A team full of the ninth-best players gives you great depth, and adding on a Cup-winning goaltender would be something any team would try to do. 

But that doesn’t take away from what Vegas did imo. As my Capitals have proven many times over, you can have a crazy good team on paper and do absolutely nothing of note. 

TL;DR, it’s still a great story but they got help from the lax expansion rules

spacer.png

4 hours ago, rams80 said:

Seattle's going to get the deck stacked so heavily against them in the next expansion draft they'll be trotting out ECHL players for the first five years.

We'll see. It certainly sounds as though the NHL league brass are open to giving the powers-that-be behind Seattle's bid the same expansion draft opportunities that the Golden Knights enjoyed.

"I have no doubt that if there is going to be another expansion team they are going to insist on having the same expansion terms." - Commissioner Bettman

Would-be Seattle owners say they'll get favorable expansion rules... 

Gary Bettman: NHL expansion draft for Seattle would follow Vegas blueprint

Seattle's possible NHL expansion draft would have same rules as Vegas

25 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

I don't know what's funnier, "gain more attraction that this league" or the idea that MLS should be more popular than the NHL.  Either way, I got a good laugh out of it. 

Oops typo, my bad. But seriously america imo should have a good soccer league, I feel that’s better than having a hockey league. 

25 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Actually, he's a salty Blackhawks fan. And he's pretty "adult" about most things. 

I know he is. I just find it a tad immature to be this mad about a hockey team in a league for my knowledge he doesn’t work in. You can have your opinions don’t be little others Bc they differ yours. Sorry for coming off as ride. I mean no harm to him.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

To all of you mad at Vegas's run:

Stop hating on this team. They weren't expected to do this well. They weren't expected to get this far. Even with the players they drafted, nobody expected certain guys to break out or contribute this well. I say the team that look the most stupid right now are Minnesota & Florida, with Columbus being a close third. The NHL wanted this team to be solid, but everyone predicted they would be the worst team in the Pacific. 

I personally couldn't be happier. This is stuff sports fans should be cheering about..... yet because the team is in a market you guys think/thought was a stupid place to out a hockey team, you're :censored: bitter. Had this team been put in Quebec City, would you be as angry? 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

I just want to know what's the NHL's plan for this market when Las Vegas stops winning Stanley Cups.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Lethal said:

I hope this is the catalyst of a new boom period for hockey just to spite all of you chucklenuts.

There's an impending fourth lockout :)

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Just now, rams80 said:

I just want to know what's the NHL's plan for this market when Las Vegas stops winning Stanley Cups.

The same thing they did for Denver when Quebec City couldn't gift-wrap them a champion anymore: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, Brian in Boston said:

And the Browns would probably have gotten the same terms as the Panthers and Jaguars if not for the small issue of the Panthers building a veteran-laden squad that was good enough to get a 1st Round Bye in Year 2 and the Jaguars ending John Elway's (then) last best hope at winning a Super Bowl.

I also seem to recall that the Florida Panthers showing up in the Stanley Cup Finals in Year Three was a driving factor in the more restrictive expansion drafts the late 90s teams got.

Today, we are all otaku.

1 hour ago, KittSmith_95 said:

Had this team been put in Quebec City, would you be as angry? 

I've already answered this question: it's irrelevant because a Quebec City expansion team never would've gotten more generous draft terms in the first place, but yes!

2 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

Oops typo, my bad. But seriously america imo should have a good soccer league, I feel that’s better than having a hockey league. 

Could be that I'm wrong, but I think what you meant to say is America should have a popular soccer league. My understanding is that the quality of play in MLS, while not at the level of the Premier League, et al, is still pretty solid or "good." In that regard, America has a "good" soccer league. What America doesn't have is a popular soccer league.

That all being said, why do you think we should have a good or popular soccer league? Why do you feel that's better than having a "hockey league" What's the upside for you if MLS were a more popular soccer league? What's bad about having a popular "hockey league?" No offense, but you strike me as someone who simply doesn't like hockey and that's fine, but there's really no need to bust on people who do like hockey - especially in a thread devoted to the Stanley Cup Playoffs. 

2 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:
3 hours ago, infrared41 said:

I know he is. I just find it a tad immature to be this mad about a hockey team in a league for my knowledge he doesn’t work in. You can have your opinions don’t be little others Bc they differ yours. Sorry for coming off as ride. I mean no harm to him.

I don't want to come off as "ride", but I don't believe someone needs to, you know, work for a league in order to be a passionate fan of that league. Again, at the risk of coming off as ride, I think that by bashing admiral, you're essentially exhibiting the same type of immature behavior that you're accusing him of. You probably shouldn't play the "differing opinions" card if you're not willing to let it work both ways. There's no law that says you have to reply to every post you disagree with. 

Just saying...

BB52Big.jpg

33 minutes ago, mcj882000 said:

I've already answered this question: it's irrelevant because a Quebec City expansion team never would've gotten more generous draft terms in the first place, but yes!

Yeah....because the way the rules are written for everything in the NHL, Canada's 7 clubs(VAN, CGY, EDM, WPG, TOR, OTT, and MTL) are not, at any time, permitted to come out ahead of the ones in the U.S.

That's called having the heel driven down into the neck of the teams here, and making sure they don't move, all while having the figurative gun pointed to their heads permanently, and the only thing spoken being 'Wanna see if it's loaded?'.

Things would probably be better if the teams in the U.S. couldn't draft players for 5 years, to allow Canada's teams to catch back up.

In any event, I offer no congratulations to Vegas at all, and hope that Tampa and Washington murder each other. Because the Stanley Cup Playoffs are a stinking gong show without the teams in Canada being in control over the narrative.

> = (

Archived