College athletics identity changes

Burkell007

• 2 weeks later...

Oof, that's an unnecessary change for AIC. 

It's rare that you have a small school like theirs where the logo is recognizable, kind of like how most people are familiar with Denver, Ferris State, Michigan Tech, Mount Union, etc. 

This change is kind of egregious. There's no flaws from the previous version that were seemingly fixed here, it's just a re-orientation for the sake of it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Rockhurst old: woof.  I can definitely see why they're changing, I just wonder who thought a blob with a randomly sprouted beak counted as a hawk.

• Like 2

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

4 hours ago, Discrim said:

Rockhurst old: woof.  I can definitely see why they're changing, I just wonder who thought a blob with a randomly sprouted beak counted as a hawk.

I get it, but it would've been cooler if they'd have modernized that logo. At the very least, it would've been cool if they kept the R-Cross mark in the package.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

On 9/12/2023 at 12:22 PM, stumpygremlin said:

Interesting... a school exclusively for learning disabled students and those with disorders like ADHD. 

With today's accommodations, that's the Ivy League

• LOL 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 10/12/2023 at 11:35 AM, stumpygremlin said:

I get it, but it would've been cooler if they'd have modernized that logo. At the very least, it would've been cool if they kept the R-Cross mark in the package.

The old package was horrible, but yeah the new stuff looks like it took 5 minutes on Canva for a high school. Gotta be somewhere to exist between those 2 looks. 

BannerLogos.jpg

SF4.gif

• 2 weeks later...

This slipped under the radar--Rutgers is the latest school to overhaul their academic branding in an attempt to merge it with athletics.

The new branding is based around the athletics "Rutgers R":

Rutgers Logos, Signatures, and Visual Identity |Communicating about Rutgers

Various examples of the old branding, which used combos of a "Rutgers" wordmark in a serif font with a long-tailed R, and the official university shield, often with descriptive black text below the wordmark:

Rutgers University Logo and symbol, meaning, history, PNG, brand                     File:Rutgers University with the state university logo.svg - Wikipedia                    Rutgers University New Brunswick Logo PNG vector in SVG, PDF, AI, CDR format

• Sad 1

It's so weird to see schools now moving to one logo for everything. I know the multiple schools I have worked with/for have had very strict brand guides and standards of 'this logo is for athletics only, and this one is for academics only'. 

• Like 4

BannerLogos.jpg

SF4.gif

4 hours ago, Green27 said:

It's so weird to see schools now moving to one logo for everything. I know the multiple schools I have worked with/for have had very strict brand guides and standards of 'this logo is for athletics only, and this one is for academics only'. 

Being in Eugene, I'm sure you're well aware how athletics have supplanted academics as the primary function of the institution. It was only a matter of time, In a way, it's understandable as brand recognition goes, but it's still pretty gross.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Green27 said:

Yeah, I guess it makes sense as those sports logos are far more well known. But been interesting as High Schools do that too. Before it was a healthy mix of One overall logo, a logo for Athletic & Academic and An academic one with chaos for their sports. Feel like more of the latter two have tried to get one solid logo for everything.

Those high schools are also getting a little more jumpy about litigation now, which I think has been part of the reason. Even schools that just steal letter logos have started to get their own looks the last few years.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Not sure if anyone has mentioned or noticed this, but I'm wondering if Mississippi State may be making a move to make their secondary script logo their primary.  

Have seen it used on ESPN and on social recently.  Then, within the last week it, replaced the M ribbon logo at the top left of their website.

Perhaps someone has more background on this.

spacer.png

Hail State website

• Hate 1
  • Facepalm 3

11 hours ago, shark said:

Not sure if anyone has mentioned or noticed this, but I'm wondering if Mississippi State may be making a move to make their secondary script logo their primary.  

Have seen it used on ESPN and on social recently.  Then, within the last week it, replaced the M ribbon logo at the top left of their website.

Perhaps someone has more background on this.

spacer.png

Hail State website

I'm a State fan and I don't like it. We're supposed to be the antithesis of Ole Miss and the "good ole boy prep school" look the school exudes, and now we're copying their script? C'mon! 

• Like 3