College athletics identity changes

Burkell007

4 hours ago, BadSeed84 said:

Temple has replaced their athletics logo.

https://news.temple.edu/news/2023-07-31/new-logo-signals-new-era-temple

I really like this, the old one while classic had overstayed its welcome (and they hid have the head behind OWLS lately I see.

newowlmark_1.jpg?itok=HI5XJp6k&c=59df091

I really enjoyed the article about this new mark. An excerpt:

"Leading sports branding strategist Joe Bosack, TYL ’94, founder and creative director at Joe Bosack and Co., was tasked with refreshing his alma mater’s athletics logo. “I’ve worked on brand identity for athletics departments at hundreds of colleges and universities across the country, but when Temple reached out, I was thrilled for the opportunity,” Bosack said.

To develop the mark, he set out to recreate the genesis of the T by involving students. Throughout the 2021 fall semester of Associate Professor Bryan Satalino’s senior capstone course in graphic and interactive design, Bosack worked alongside students creating drawings, responding to feedback from focus groups of alumni and stakeholders and presenting final designs to university leadership.

For Brett Sweeney, TYL ’22, the most interesting aspect of the class was being able to test the designs on real people. “One of our most beloved logos didn’t read well with the focus group—they said it was more of just a bird than an Owl,” said Sweeney. “But then we had a chance to adjust it.”

New mark signals a new Era

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BadSeed84 said:

Temple has replaced their athletics logo.

https://news.temple.edu/news/2023-07-31/new-logo-signals-new-era-temple

I really like this, the old one while classic had overstayed its welcome (and they hid have the head behind OWLS lately I see.

newowlmark_1.jpg?itok=HI5XJp6k&c=59df091

Individually, the elements are great and that standalone owl head is awesome.. The owl in a badge or the T in a badge would be fine, but combining them seems very off and the feel of the elements is too contradictory (hard angled T vs sweeping round angles for the owl). I also don't like that the decenders on the T don't align with the inner tips of the wings, but I'm OCD.

6.2/10

1 hour ago, solvetica said:

Individually, the elements are great and that standalone owl head is awesome.. The owl in a badge or the T in a badge would be fine, but combining them seems very off and the feel of the elements is too contradictory (hard angled T vs sweeping round angles for the owl). I also don't like that the decenders on the T don't align with the inner tips of the wings, but I'm OCD.

6.2/10

You make some good points here. It gets a little weird for me when I start thinking how the owl is flying underneath a floating T. Now I can't unsee it. Almost wish they would've tried to have the owl perched on top.

Love the owl logo though, and think Owls are underused as mascots.

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

19 minutes ago, j'villejags said:

Almost wish they would've tried to have the owl perched on top.

They did it long ago, but wouldn't hurt to update this idea:

spacer.png

3 hours ago, j'villejags said:

You make some good points here. It gets a little weird for me when I start thinking how the owl is flying underneath a floating T. Now I can't unsee it. Almost wish they would've tried to have the owl perched on top.

Love the owl logo though, and think Owls are underused as mascots.

There's another version of the owl without the T. This is appears to be a partial mark used on merch, but I wouldn't be shocked if it eventually ends up on uniforms, etc.

spacer.png

• Like 5

Union College has dropped the Dutchmen and Dutchwomen athletic identities and rebranded as the Garnet Chargers.

Garnet has long been Union’s  official school color, while the Chargers portion of the new identity references Schenectady, New York’s  “legacy as a hub of electrical innovation and invention”, as well as being “an apt metaphor for the high-energy, forward-looking Union College experience”.

Garnet Chargers beat out Garnet Griffins, Garnet Hawks, and Garnet Storm amongst four finalist identities. A Garnet Chargers mascot will be unveiled in the fall.

https://www.union.edu/news/stories/202308/welcome-garnet-chargers-era#

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

8 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

Union College has dropped the Dutchmen and Dutchwomen athletic identities and rebranded as the Garnet Chargers.

Garnet has long been Union’s  official school color, while the Chargers portion of the new identity references Schenectady, New York’s  “legacy as a hub of electrical innovation and invention”, as well as being “an apt metaphor for the high-energy, forward-looking Union College experience”.

Garnet Chargers beat out Garnet Griffins, Garnet Hawks, and Garnet Storm amongst four finalist identities. A Garnet Chargers mascot will be unveiled in the fall.

https://www.union.edu/news/stories/202308/welcome-garnet-chargers-era#

“Nike-splain” it all you want, this is an AWFUL nickname.  The fact that Garnet Hawks was a finalist tells you all you need to know about the choices.  

F- 

Union College Garnet Charges logo

Pertinent to this site, this is the logo that Union has put out with the nickname. I actually like the nickname.

What’s in a name? Union explores a new nickname and mascot | Union College This article explains why they changed it from Dutchmen in the first place. Basically, it seems like people just didn't connect with the nickname, which seems to have never been formally adopted in the first place.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

1 hour ago, stumpygremlin said:

Union College Garnet Charges logo

Pertinent to this site, this is the logo that Union has put out with the nickname. I actually like the nickname.

What’s in a name? Union explores a new nickname and mascot | Union College This article explains why they changed it from Dutchmen in the first place. Basically, it seems like people just didn't connect with the nickname, which seems to have never been formally adopted in the first place.

I love when people find ways to use negative space for logos but this needs refinement.

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

I notice the trend is for colleges to shift away from having two seperate nicknames for men's and women's teams.

But still, I bet that if Louisiana Tech were to decide to make all their teams the "Bulldogs," there would be a MASSIVE outcry.

bYhYmxh.png