College athletics identity changes

Burkell007

21 minutes ago, Burmy said:

Yes they are...surpassing the five syllables of "Rainbow Warriors."

And "Golden Hurricane". 

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I'm rooting for this to be the new logo.

spacer.png

In seriousness, the name is more than a little clunky.  I expect to see/hear "Revs" used a lot.

I also expect to see minimal changes to the overall brand package since they're more or less staying in the same realm.

Beyond that, I can picture them making a lot of use of the name on the academic branding side --

"Your Revolutionary Education Starts Here"

"GW Research Leads To Revolutionary Developments"

• Like 5
  • Hurl 1
  • Facepalm 1

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Revolutionaries is a bit of a mouthful but it’s not bad. It’s too long for uniforms, but Revs is a good shorthand. Generals would have been a layup, though. In fact, before all this came up, I didn’t even know GW was the Colonials. I guess I always assumed they were the Generals.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, 8BW14 said:

Revolutionaries is a bit of a mouthful but it’s not bad. It’s too long for uniforms, but Revs is a good shorthand. Generals would have been a layup, though. In fact, before all this came up, I didn’t even know GW was the Colonials. I guess I always assumed they were the Generals.

It's not too long for uniforms if you design the wordmark properly.

• Like 2

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

. . . and Nittany Lions.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

46 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

For those not on Twitter, here are the shots:

FxDweFzWwAEU6xD?format=jpg&name=medium

Former on left; new on right.

FxDx8oBXgAAQZbP?format=jpg&name=medium

Never heard of this institution before today, so I don't know how entrenched "Bedcheck Charlie" is...but purely from an aesthetic POV, that's one of the better updates of a brand I've seen.

• Like 5

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I don't like that change for Lewis. I think of a "flyer" as someone who flies. This new logo being a plane doesn't fit that for me.

Also, I don't really get "athletic logo" vibe from it. I see more "corporate air freight" logo more than anything.

I'd be curious to know why they retired Bedcheck Charlie.

• Like 3

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

It's certainly a move in a very different direction.

That said, the new set is very well done.  It's definitely an upgrade in quaiity.

However, now that @stumpygremlin has pointed it out, it is hard to get away from (a) the change from a pilot to a plane and (b) the corporate air freight vibe.  Maybe the new logo would work even better for a team called the Jets or the Bombers.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Pretty cool. Looks like they could’ve leaned a bit more into the wave effect on the Seawolf. While the patterns on his neck do evoke waves to me, I can’t help but wonder what it might look like if it was a bit more obvious. I think hitting the wavey wolf idea a bit more on the nose would have helped it stand alone as the Seawolves logo.

I like the mirrored A’s in Sonoma State — unique. The negative space on the A’s gives a shark/wave effect too, but I guess it might look even more wavey if they were both pointed the same direction. It would be cool if there was a way to give a similar treatment to all of the negative space at the bottom of the wordmark.

• Like 1

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

The commissioner also said the Big 12 will announce a "brand refresh" next year that could include "different colors and applications," but the conference won't change its logo or name.

taken from https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/37781820/big-12-talks-expansion-source-says-commish-touts-plan

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.