College athletics identity changes

Burkell007

On 10/26/2022 at 5:02 PM, Discrim said:

So for the heck of it I recently googled Houston Baptist, and turns out they changed their name to Houston Christian University last month.  Odd time for a name change.  For now, I guess they're using their existing husky logo but without the text.

An updated Husky logo and new wordmark finally came.

https://hcuhuskies.com/documents/2023/1/10/HCU_Athletics_Style_Guide_2023.pdf

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Burmy said:

I'm still trying to get used to there being a "SomethingCU" school that's not affiliated with the Disciples of Christ nor has purple, black and white as its colors.

Abilene Christian University is affiliated with Church of Christ (which broke away from Disciples of Christ in the late 19th century early 20th century.) Grand Canyon University started as a Baptist University. But you're right about it being weird seeing the acronym without it being purple

Eastern Carolina is a decidedly purple team with no religious affiliations I'm aware of, they were literally the first school that came to mind after TCU. Again though, it does appear that most schools with a CU, religious or otherwise, tend to wear purple, which is quite interesting.

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

That's most likely due to the connotation the color purple holds in Christian religion—royalty, regality, "kingdom", in another word. There's another USF here in South Dakota that also uses purple--the University of Sioux Falls

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

23 hours ago, PERRIN said:

Eastern Carolina is a decidedly purple team with no religious affiliations I'm aware of, they were literally the first school that came to mind after TCU. Again though, it does appear that most schools with a CU, religious or otherwise, tend to wear purple, which is quite interesting.

East Carolina*

On 1/18/2023 at 10:00 AM, TrueYankee26 said:

Arizona Christian University (ACU) and New Jersey City University (NJCU) enter the chat

spacer.png

spacer.png

As you can see no sign of purple in them!

Harvard on the Boulevard!

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

• 3 weeks later...

No way they go with "Squad" since that's heavily associated with a few congresswomen, and no way they go with "Blue Fog" because that sounds like it's aligning with the Democrats. (Not saying that those names have anything to do with those things, but you know that many would see it that way.)

I feel like Revolutionaries has kind of similar connotations to Colonials, so I doubt they go with that.

George Washington was never an ambassador, so I doubt they go with that.

Truth is just awful.

If it were up to me, I'd choose Sentinels.

• Like 3

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

Sentinels, please.

• Like 2

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 2/16/2023 at 1:35 PM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Fireworks fireworks fireworks!!! 🎇 it'll probably be something boring though.

I get the attempt to be unique, but many of these options are straight-up too cheesy or unusual to be associated with a college bearing George Washington's name. Truth is the absolute worst one. Ambassadors, Independents, and Sentinels are really the only ones that work for me. Not having Continentals or Generals in there is a missed opportunity IMO. I might be convinced with Blue Fog if given the right branding, as weird/silly as it is.

• Like 2

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)