College athletics identity changes

Burkell007

3 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

A is an angular letter. Millions of fonts mix angular As with round Rs and Os.

You really think a guy like Bosack just picks a font and calls it a day?

The font feels like it was a client pick. There's nothing wrong with it, just very simple. I'm biased but I miss the original Bosack angled font introduced in the 2000s.

• Like 2

On 5/15/2022 at 11:43 PM, TenaciousG said:

Why couldn’t Akron just do this if they wanted a better subliminal “Z”? 

spacer.png

Excuse my quick photoshop job.

Because then it would no longer be subliminal, it would be overt ;) 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

The font feels like it was a client pick. There's nothing wrong with it, just very simple. I'm biased but I miss the original Bosack angled font introduced in the 2000s.

Yeah, but “feels like” doesn’t mean it was true. I’ve been doing this a lot of years and a client insisting on their own preferred font for a wordmark isn’t really a thing that happens in this landscape. Kansas would be the only example I can think of, 10-15 years ago, but that’s about it, and they’ve since brought back the circus lettering on multiple occasions.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

10 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Yeah, but “feels like” doesn’t mean it was true. I’ve been doing this a lot of years and a client insisting on their own preferred font for a wordmark isn’t really a thing that happens in this landscape. Kansas would be the only example I can think of, 10-15 years ago, but that’s about it, and they’ve since brought back the circus lettering on multiple occasions.

Totally off to the side, but I've been hoping for the longest time that KU will base their next full-scale rebrand around the circus typeface/lettering--oh and bring back the actual Jayhawk in prominent form, too. That Trajan font been done got long in the tooth...

• Like 2

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 5/15/2022 at 2:37 PM, RevNet said:

Utah Tech University, the former Dixie State University, has revealed their brand.

I like the name change, but I'm surprised they went with Utah Tech University as their official name. Not Utah Institute of Technology. Not Utah Polytechnic Institute. Not even Utah Technological University. Just Utah Tech University. Of all the other "tech" schools out there--MIT, Caltech, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Michigan Tech, IIT--they had to follow the lead of Texas Tech.

• Like 2

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

On 5/19/2022 at 1:19 AM, Mingjai said:

I like the name change, but I'm surprised they went with Utah Tech University as their official name. Not Utah Institute of Technology. Not Utah Polytechnic Institute. Not even Utah Technological University. Just Utah Tech University. Of all the other "tech" schools out there--MIT, Caltech, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Michigan Tech, IIT--they had to follow the lead of Texas Tech.

There’s a good reason for that; they were originally headed towards being called Utah Polytechnic State University (UPSU) and would’ve used “Utah Tech” informally for short, but backlash to the UPSU name was so strong (the UPS memes were too easy) that Utah Tech became the formal name across the board instead.

@ups_university is an Instagram meme account that started right after the original name was announced and, well, you can get an idea of why Utah Tech won out altogether:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQKQnMrLcmA/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQKMzGZLVpt/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

EDIT: Can’t get the IG posts to embed right for some reason, sorry for the extra clicks.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

On 5/20/2022 at 5:01 PM, FinsUp1214 said:

There’s a good reason for that; they were originally headed towards being called Utah Polytechnic State University (UPSU) and would’ve used “Utah Tech” informally for short, but backlash to the UPSU name was so strong (the UPS memes were too easy) that Utah Tech became the formal name across the board instead.

@ups_university is an Instagram meme account that started right after the original name was announced and, well, you can get an idea of why Utah Tech won out altogether:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQKQnMrLcmA/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQKMzGZLVpt/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

EDIT: Can’t get the IG posts to embed right for some reason, sorry for the extra clicks.

I get it. But it still doesn’t explain why they didn’t choose Utah Institute of Technology or Utah Technological University, or even Utah Polytechnic University. As far as I recall, Utah doesn’t maintain separate U and State U systems like California or Minnesota, so there was really no need for the “S” in the UPSU.

• Like 2

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

5 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

I kind of assumed every Tech school was officially called something else until basically just now. I didn't realize Texas Tech was officially just Texas Tech University.

Montana Tech (NAIA) had the dumbest name. It was Montana Tech of the University of Montana, until they recently changed it to Montana Technological University

• Like 1

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

9 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

I kind of assumed every Tech school was officially called something else until basically just now. I didn't realize Texas Tech was officially just Texas Tech University.

Virginia Tech is now just literally "Virginia Tech". That's it. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

4 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Virginia Tech is now just literally "Virginia Tech". That's it. 

They never officially dropped Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, they just try to not use it whenever they can. I'm a UVA fan but I don't blame them, VPISU is a mouthful. 

From Tech's website:  "Today: Virginia Tech is the university’s official nickname, used in all but the most formal situations:

Hokie History Link

• Like 1

On 5/23/2022 at 8:56 PM, Red Wolf said:

It originally was Texas Technological College. In the 50's they decided to rename to a university since they were offering far more than just technical college classes. Ideas floated out were Texas State, University of the Southwest, Texas Technological College and State University, and The Texas University of Art, Science and Technology. They settled on Texas Tech because they wanted to preserve the Double T logo.

On 5/24/2022 at 7:51 PM, jzn110 said:

Honestly, I think the state shape in the negative space of the "U" in the "UT" logo is some clever subtlety.

And it's far from the worst university wordmark out there.

It is pretty cool, though I do have to say as a UVU alum that we beat them to it 14 years ago ;) 

spacer.png

• Like 2

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png