College athletics identity changes

Burkell007

Just a neat observation:

Growing up and into adulthood, I knew that one of Louisiana's "four corners" state universities was Northeast Louisiana University, located in Monroe, LA (the other three were Northwestern State University in Natchitoches, University of Southwestern Louisiana in Lafayette, and Southeastern Louisiana University in Hammond).  Their mascot was  the "Indians", not unusual for the times, and they had  an interesting logo which used the "L" in the middle of their initials 'NLU' as an indian brave in profile, with the upper vertical portion of the "L" being a feather:
s-l400.jpg C5sCHCfWcAA7ou8.jpg 
spacer.png

In 1999, the college system was changed a bit in Louisiana, with a new University of Louisiana system being created, and USL changing to UL- Lafayette, and NLU changing to UL- Monroe.

So, the athletics changed from the NLU Indians to the ULM Indians, with an updated logo:

spacer.png 

however, around that time the football team also took to wearing a Florida State-style spear on their helmet:
spacer.png

The "ULM Indians" period was short lived; in 2006 they rid themselves of the Native American mascot and imagery and switched to their new name of "Warhawks", at the same time adopting a rather modern logo for print graphics, merch and helmets:
ulm-warhawks.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQowCq97L4sD6L5BznaPgy MQNLIPQYCZXTKEG.20141118160645.jpg?width

I saw ULM play LSU this past Saturday, and noticed on the helmets there was a new logo, which harkens back to their original, old NLU logo. Same font, but with a warhawk head profile instead of the indian head, and the upper "L" feather has returned, maybe it's a wing, or maybe it's just a feather; kind of hard to tell:

1051860590.0.jpg

Anyway, it's kind of neat when compared to the old one:
spacer.png  fFWHUnD.jpg

• Like 21

It is what it is.

On 11/21/2021 at 6:53 PM, dubiouselemental said:

Just jumping on here to say that UCF stole that script logo.

I designed it back in 2017 for Hickory Christian Academy in Hickory, NC. You can see it all over their website. 
http://hickorychristianacademy.com/hca-athletics/

This is part of the branding proposal I sent to them:
spacer.png

I've already been in touch with their brand directors to find out how they ended up with it.

Well that's a big yikes.

On a different yet related note, I love that entire branding proposal. 

• Like 7

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

On 11/21/2021 at 7:53 PM, dubiouselemental said:

I designed it back in 2017 for Hickory Christian Academy in Hickory, NC. You can see it all over their website. 

spacer.png

I've already been in touch with their brand directors to find out how they ended up with it.

Please let us know the resolution? I'm curious about what happens.

• Like 7

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2021 at 7:53 PM, dubiouselemental said:

spacer.png

The link to the athletic website no longer works. I wonder if UCF paid HCA off to take the wordmark.

• Like 2

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

On 11/22/2021 at 1:55 PM, B-Rich said:

Just a neat observation:

Growing up and into adulthood, I knew that one of Louisiana's "four corners" state universities was Northeast Louisiana University, located in Monroe, LA (the other three were Northwestern State University in Natchitoches, University of Southwestern Louisiana in Lafayette, and Southeastern Louisiana University in Hammond).  Their mascot was  the "Indians", not unusual for the times, and they had  an interesting logo which used the "L" in the middle of their initials 'NLU' as an indian brave in profile, with the upper vertical portion of the "L" being a feather:
s-l400.jpg C5sCHCfWcAA7ou8.jpg 
spacer.png

In 1999, the college system was changed a bit in Louisiana, with a new University of Louisiana system being created, and USL changing to UL- Lafayette, and NLU changing to UL- Monroe.

So, the athletics changed from the NLU Indians to the ULM Indians, with an updated logo:

spacer.png 

however, around that time the football team also took to wearing a Florida State-style spear on their helmet:
spacer.png

The "ULM Indians" period was short lived; in 2006 they rid themselves of the Native American mascot and imagery and switched to their new name of "Warhawks", at the same time adopting a rather modern logo for print graphics, merch and helmets:
ulm-warhawks.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQowCq97L4sD6L5BznaPgy MQNLIPQYCZXTKEG.20141118160645.jpg?width

I saw ULM play LSU this past Saturday, and noticed on the helmets there was a new logo, which harkens back to their original, old NLU logo. Same font, but with a warhawk head profile instead of the indian head, and the upper "L" feather has returned, maybe it's a wing, or maybe it's just a feather; kind of hard to tell:

1051860590.0.jpg

Anyway, it's kind of neat when compared to the old one:
spacer.png  fFWHUnD.jpg

ULM is weird. They've all but made that new ULM logo the primary. A new version of the bird head logo from the initial rebrand that simplifies it and changes the beak to athletic gold is still technically around, but the fauxback is on the helmets and at midcourt. What really bothers me is that their football field still has all of the old branding on it. Again, the old bird head is still part of their identity, but they're using an older version of it on the field. Even the university logo uses the fauxback.

n5liKuT.png

There aren't a lot of great field shots. Also keep in mind that the sideline trim is old gold and the logo used at the kickoff spot is also old gold. Even in this picture you can see the disconnect. It's maddening.

m5qCbae.jpg

PWhjU1I.png

• Like 6

On 12/8/2021 at 6:47 AM, stumpygremlin said:

The link to the athletic website no longer works. I wonder if UCF paid HCA off to take the wordmark.

HCA uses a picture of it on a backdrop on their website. And a quick google search doesn't provide any information on UCF stealing a logo. So a decent chance UCF paid them off for it. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

On 10/25/2021 at 9:55 AM, stumpygremlin said:

Speaking of schools dropping "Crusaders," Evangel University, an NAIA school in Springfield, Missouri, dropped the Crusaders nickname in favor of Valor. So the teams will now be known as the Evangel Valor.

New logo:

Evangel University unveiled a new mascot Wednesday.

I'm from southwest Missouri, and it felt to a few of us that Evangel pushed the logo process, a little fast because  it has been received as hot and cold.

• Like 1
sms.gif

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2021 at 6:08 PM, 1991 said:

I'm from southwest Missouri, and it felt to a few of us that Evangel pushed the logo process, a little fast because  it has been received as hot and cold.

Blah. Singular nouns that work well as team names are few and far between. 

• 2 weeks later...

NC State is using a front-facing wolf logo for its 30-minute Athletics cable TV show "Wolfpack Hustle".  Don't know if it will get more use in coming years or not...

Wolfpack Hustle - NC State University Athletics

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• 3 weeks later...

https://news.sportslogos.net/2022/01/28/nebraska-cornhuskers-update-herbie-husker-logo-to-avoid-alleged-white-supremacist-gesture/college/

I hate this. It's always been the "bellissimo!" or "okay" sign. Why are they giving this tiny group of losers validation by acknowledging their hijacking of a perfectly fine and harmless hand sign?

Where was the outrage when the Bloods starting using that hand sign?

• Like 10

4 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

https://news.sportslogos.net/2022/01/28/nebraska-cornhuskers-update-herbie-husker-logo-to-avoid-alleged-white-supremacist-gesture/college/

I hate this. It's always been the "bellissimo!" or "okay" sign. Why are they giving this tiny group of losers validation by acknowledging their hijacking of a perfectly fine and harmless hand sign?

Were was the outrage when the Bloods starting using that hand sign?

This Why I Cant Have Nice Things GIF - This Why I Cant Have Nice Things -  Discover & Share GIFs

• Like 3

so long and thanks for all the fish.

On 1/28/2022 at 1:35 PM, AFirestormToPurify said:

Were was the outrage when the Bloods starting using that hand sign?

Reminder this started as a joke on 4chan to troll people into believing something as benign as the OK symbol was a super duper secret underground racist dogwhistle. Not only did it work so well that pathetic braindead PR moves like this continue to happen, but it also tricked small online groups of mouthbreathers into adapting it as an actual racist symbol. Based on its reach in pop culture this is easily a top 5 troll job in the history of the internet.

• Like 9

On 1/29/2022 at 3:10 PM, ManillaToad said:

Reminder this started as a joke on 4chan to troll people into believing something as benign as the OK symbol was a super duper secret underground racist dogwhistle. Not only did it work so well that pathetic braindead PR moves like this continue to happen, but it also tricked small online groups of mouthbreathers into adapting it as an actual racist symbol. Based on its reach in pop culture this is easily a top 5 troll job in the history of the internet.

I'm not even surprised, it wouldn't be the first time a 4chan meme takes a life of its own. Just wait until the #1 sign also gets hijacked by another hate group lmao

This is the era of braindead PR moves

• Like 1