College athletics identity changes

Burkell007

On 6/15/2022 at 12:13 PM, Germanshepherd said:

Why even keep anything about your identity as a University if you’re opening this can of worms.  Like there’s still a colonial in the name goddammit. 

Some nickname suggestions:

-Powdered Wigs

-Liars

-Cherry Trees

-Axes

-Delaware Crossers

🤔

"Colonials" always kinda clanged because George Washington was the one who set out to make sure we weren't colonies anymore, but man, someone's gotta beat back these pissbabies and stop letting them tell everyone what to do. 

I like Cherry Trees, why not.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Meh 1
  • Huh? 2
  • Yawn 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 6/15/2022 at 2:13 PM, Germanshepherd said:

Why even keep anything about your identity as a University if you’re opening this can of worms.  Like there’s still a colonial in the name goddammit. 

Unless there's something wrong with it, they should go with Generals and be done with it. Seems pretty cut-and-dry here to me.

• Like 3
sport-scarf_dortmund_zps9338859f.png

1 hour ago, RevNet said:

Unless there's something wrong with it, they should go with Generals and be done with it. Seems pretty cut-and-dry here to me.

Even though it seems common, Generals is only used in the NCAA by D3 Washington & Lee and in the NAIA by LSU-Alexandria

On 7/5/2022 at 7:00 PM, RevNet said:

Or Commanders  (Waits for tomatoes and cabbages to be thrown at him by angry WFT fans.)

• Applause 1
  • LOL 5

On 7/5/2022 at 9:00 PM, RevNet said:

I like that idea. The only issue might be a trademark thing with the Harlem Globetrotters/Washington Generals.

• Like 2

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

On 7/7/2022 at 4:55 PM, stumpygremlin said:

I like that idea. The only issue might be a trademark thing with the Harlem Globetrotters/Washington Generals.

. . . and the other issue being that the Washington Generals are perennial inept losers.  Otherwise, I think it's a great name.

• Like 1

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

If George Washington University is determined to drop Colonials as the nickname for athletic teams, I say they just revert to their old Buff and Blue moniker and call it a day.  If adopting your color(s) is a good enough naming convention for the likes of the Wellesley Blue, Stanford Cardinal, and Harvard Crimson - to say nothing of the Dartmouth Big Green, Cornell Big Red, Wisconsin-Eau Claire Blugolds, Chicago Maroons, and NYU Violets - its good enough for GW.

It appears the University of Maryland Eastern Shore has a new logo. First noticed it a little while ago in an announcement about several MEAC members' baseball and golf programs becoming associate members of the NEC. From what I can tell there was no formal announcement. They just began using this new hawk logo on the athletic program's official Facebook page last week. I don't think there's any custom word marks to go with it.

Edit: this may also be the school's official academic logo/crest/symbol/etc too, because it's in the top left corner of the school's website as a home page link.

University of Maryland Eastern Shore | The Eastern Shore's Doctoral  Research Institution

• Like 8

Hotter Than July > Thriller

17 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

Huge upgrade if that's official

Couldn't agree more.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

18 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

Huge upgrade if that's official

Sorta reminds me of the old Ravens' alternate logo. Seeing how a large portion of the school's students and alumni are from the Baltimore area, it may have been intentional.

Baltimore Ravens Alternate Logo - National Football League (NFL) - Chris  Creamer's Sports Logos Page - SportsLogos.Net

• Like 2

Hotter Than July > Thriller

• 3 weeks later...

In USPORTS changes, Ryerson University in Toronto officially changed their name this past April to Toronto Metropolitan University following five or six years of discussions and last year's discoveries of residential school mass graves in Canada because of the Egerton Ryerson's, the school's namesake, involvement with the introduction of the residential school system. As part of the changes, they are changing the name of the sports teams and the mascot. They were the Rams and the mascot was a ram named Eggy, taken from Egerton.

They narrowed it down to three names and six mascots and allowed for community feedback up until like two weeks ago when they closed the response form.  The three names are 

• Bold
  • Meteors
  • Towers

The six mascots are

• Bee
  • Caribou
  • Meteor
  • Moose
  • Squirrel
  • Tower

Here's the website where you can read the reasoning behind all the choices.

IbjBaeE.png

Any updates on Simon Fraser University's new nickname process?  They dumped the "Clan" in 2020 and I remember hearing that they were getting a new name this season, but have heard nothing since...

bYhYmxh.png