College athletics identity changes

Burkell007

For an in-house job, especially at a mid-major such as SIUE, this is pretty solid work. I have a little experience with SIUE due to working at a (former) OVC school, and always felt like their SIUe wordmark was more suited for the academic side and never quite worked as athletics branding. I think this is an overwhelming upgrade for the Cougars.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jerrylawless3 said:

For an in-house job, especially at a mid-major such as SIUE, this is pretty solid work. I have a little experience with SIUE due to working at a (former) OVC school, and always felt like their SIUe wordmark was more suited for the academic side and never quite worked as athletics branding. I think this is an overwhelming upgrade for the Cougars.

I live not far from SIUE and see their branding all around. While this isn't great, it corrects one thing that always bothered me: the different font used for the "e" in SIUE. 

I haven't been in this area long, but I've wondered whether that isn't rooted in some desire to create separation with SIU-Carbondale by emphasizing Edwardsville. 

2 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I live not far from SIUE and see their branding all around. While this isn't great, it corrects one thing that always bothered me: the different font used for the "e" in SIUE. 

I haven't been in this area long, but I've wondered whether that isn't rooted in some desire to create separation with SIU-Carbondale by emphasizing Edwardsville. 

I always typed it out as SIUe, despite their guidelines calling for SIUE. It puzzled me that the "e" dominated their graphical branding, but they didn't use it as a unique identifier in all forms. I understand the lowercase giving a sense of "lesser", but embrace what makes your brand different!

That being said, this new brand should serve them well. The corporate-y Helvetica "e" felt out of place in the athletic branding.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jerrylawless3 said:

I always typed it out as SIUe, despite their guidelines calling for SIUE. It puzzled me that the "e" dominated their graphical branding, but they didn't use it as a unique identifier in all forms. I understand the lowercase giving a sense of "lesser", but embrace what makes your brand different!

That being said, this new brand should serve them well. The corporate-y Helvetica "e" felt out of place in the athletic branding.

After the beaver/falcon/not a cougar logo was unveiled there was a big push to refer to SIUE as the “E.” The school even went as far as painting the slogan on sidewalks around campus. No surprise that did not catch on. Regardless, I felt the siue logo gave the school a look that stood out and made it recognizable in a landscape that often emphasizes block letters. 

I guess boring is better than ugly. The real miss was not rebranding the school as the Fighting Geese back in 2007 when they released the beaver logo and before they installed a cougar statue on the quad. IYKYK

• Like 3

5 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

In short, yes. Even though they are sister schools, there is some bad blood between them. Despite enrolling more students, SIUE receives less funding than Carbondale. I graduated in 2009, and there was talk back then of separating the two schools. It almost happened in 2018. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cajunaggie08 said:

UMass has a new logo which is supposed to me used in conjunction with the "UMass" logo that is currently the primary.

Small-PMS_202.png

it's michigan at home

• Like 2

The Danimal said:
Texas is the state that gave us George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. 'Nuff said.

• 3 weeks later...

It was announced a few months ago that a Herbie Husker update/redesign was in the works, with the idea being something along the line of bringing back the old overall/blue eyes/blonde hair look. The new suit will be unveiled tomorrow, but the new logo seemed to have already been leaked (with old retro Herbie logo for comparison):

Nebraska's White Supremacy 'Herbie Husker' Is Out – Stateline Sports Network

And the costume teaser pics:

One thing is for certain: purist Husker fans are going to be very pleased. Gotta see the full suit, but the new logo at least accomplishes what a good modernization for Herbie should be. Keeps the right dimensions while cleaning up and sharpening a lot of the lines and angles.

And for those wondering: Herbie changed to a "Number 1" gesture from the "Ok" last year in a quiet move, probably to avoid a connection to white supremacy groups.

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...