"Desecrating" the NFL

MDGP

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/16/2018 at 10:29 AM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I love that you were able to come up with a far superior version of the sword theme than Nike. 

I like the idea of the logo but not crazy about it in practice. The helmet you've selected is more like a medieval barbuta in that it lacks the nasal guard of most Corinthian helmets. (Which were used by every Greek state, not just Sparta. Thanks for muddying the waters there Frank Miller) 

1024px-Barbute_MET_DP-12880-047.jpg

8f86f0b114450c1cd29b71cc18d1dd74.jpg

I actually went back and looked at my logo design because I was really surprised that I would’ve used the wrong reference images. I actually originally did include the nose guard originally, but somewhere along the way it was removed, likely in order the make the space in the helmet look more like a T. 

That’ll definitely be something I look into when I go back.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

11 hours ago, Lafarge said:

I actually went back and looked at my logo design because I was really surprised that I would’ve used the wrong reference images. I actually originally did include the nose guard originally, but somewhere along the way it was removed, likely in order the make the space in the helmet look more like a T. 

That’ll definitely be something I look into when I go back.

That’s sort of the reverse of what happened with the Vegas Golden Knights. They were aiming for a barbuta but put the narrow nasal guard to make the negative space look like a “V” drawing comps to the Corinthian helmet.

After a short delay, I present you the Baltimore Ravens.

GoJ0gMM.png

I hate the Ravens current look. The logo, the number font, the use of black pants with black socks, I'm just not a fan overall. For this entry, I decided to go with a theme surrounding real ravens. For those who are not aware, Ravens have iridescent feathers that appear purple, hence the purple and black color scheme. I wanted to emphasize that with this design. The main feature includes a "feather" pattern on the sleeves that transforms from purple to black and back to purple. The design is meant to be subtly darker/lighter than the main jersey (see below for a closeup, or you could just click on the image I guess. You do you). The number font is inspired by the current font, but is a bit beefier, which I like a little bit better. The specific shade of purple was chosen specifically to blend with the black to further create that dark, iridescent vibe while still having the numbers be legible. The helmet is designed to feature the colored fleck material that was utilized by the Jaguars back in the late 2000s. There's nobody better than the Ravens to wear this type of helmet. Three pants options are available, black, white, and purple, and are interchangeable. The black pants do not feature any stripes because I liked the simultaneous consistency between all black elements not featuring stripes, and the inconsistency between pants that the Ravens already have. There are not black socks because even in my fantasy world NFL, someone would still abuse them. Finally, as is obvious, I removed entirely the red and gold from the uniforms; they interfered with what I was going for.

XPX4rjU.png

Thanks for the patience on this guys! I'll give you a hint that tomorrow will be a bit more subdued.

Edit: Also, go check out OhioSportsMan61's series of a similar name! Gotta spread the love of messing with teams' identities!

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

So, due to my own incompetence, I've been a bit slow with getting the net entry out of the door. The original entry I had planned was pretty down to earth, but because of the delay, I've decided to push that back to tomorrow and give you guys a full on desecration complete with a new identity!

5jMj7xb.png

P0DK67Y.png

Say goodbye to Pirates, kids! With the Raiders moving to the middle of a desert, I figured the pirate theme didn't make all that much sense. Because of this, I wanted to make a "raider" identity that would fit Nevada a bit better. Most historical references to "raids" in the area reference raids by Native American tribes, and there's zero chance in hell I'm touching that. Instead, I sort of fudged the idea of raid and combined it with robbery and outlaws. Nevada was home to the Great Train Robbery of 1870, and despite the incident occurring in Reno, not Vegas, I liked the idea for the identity. 

The primary logo I feel is pretty straight forward, an old timey outlaw head featuring the team colors of black, silver, and copper/brown (Gold is played out with Vegas). The uniforms are also drastically different from the current, classic design. The main feature of the uniform are the stripes. The pattern features a copper-black-silver-black-copper stripe.  On the inside of the stripe are angled back segments designed to depict rail tracks. The black helmets are a nod to the depiction of the Old West in film, where the villain always wears the black hat. This also references the Raiders' reputation in the NFL as the rough and tough team, embracing the villain role. The numbers feature a new custom font featuring the same copper-black-silver pattern as on the sleeves. Two sets of pants are included, silver and black, which are designed to be interchanged on the road uniform, but NOT the home uniform.

11 hours ago, Lafarge said:

So, due to my own incompetence, I've been a bit slow with getting the net entry out of the door. The original entry I had planned was pretty down to earth, but because of the delay, I've decided to push that back to tomorrow and give you guys a full on desecration complete with a new identity!

5jMj7xb.png

P0DK67Y.png

Say goodbye to Pirates, kids! With the Raiders moving to the middle of a desert, I figured the pirate theme didn't make all that much sense. Because of this, I wanted to make a "raider" identity that would fit Nevada a bit better. Most historical references to "raids" in the area reference raids by Native American tribes, and there's zero chance in hell I'm touching that. Instead, I sort of fudged the idea of raid and combined it with robbery and outlaws. Nevada was home to the Great Train Robbery of 1870, and despite the incident occurring in Reno, not Vegas, I liked the idea for the identity. 

The primary logo I feel is pretty straight forward, an old timey outlaw head featuring the team colors of black, silver, and copper/brown (Gold is played out with Vegas). The uniforms are also drastically different from the current, classic design. The main feature of the uniform are the stripes. The pattern features a copper-black-silver-black-copper stripe.  On the inside of the stripe are angled back segments designed to depict rail tracks. The black helmets are a nod to the depiction of the Old West in film, where the villain always wears the black hat. This also references the Raiders' reputation in the NFL as the rough and tough team, embracing the villain role. The numbers feature a new custom font featuring the same copper-black-silver pattern as on the sleeves. Two sets of pants are included, silver and black, which are designed to be interchanged on the road uniform, but NOT the home uniform.

So no all black look?

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

6 hours ago, stumpygremlin said:

So no all black look?

Ask and you shall receive.

2pNXgM7.png

2 hours ago, C-Squared said:

The number font is great, and I love the FSU vibe of the pattern... unfortunately, for as awesome as this is, I can't see Nike working in the latter without also sublimating said pattern into the number material.

You're probably right, I can't imagine Nike would ever give up an opportunity to do something like that. Luckily, I'm the one designing these and not them!

Although now I can't help but wonder what the numbers would look like with the pattern in a similar fashion to the Vegas Golden Knights stripe pattern.

On 8/26/2018 at 10:12 PM, Lafarge said:

5jMj7xb.png

Although I know they'll never change from the pirate (they'd use the excuse that there are no lions in Detroit or bears in Chicago); I think that taking the franchise in this direction is a good choice, but I feel like the logo could use more action/movement.

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

2 hours ago, CaptainKirkMN said:

If you were to truly go all in on all-black, I'd think it would be appropriate to give the cowboy black hair and mustache.

I'm not going in on all black. I actually specifically want to avoid the all black thing, hence the heavy inclusion of copper in the overall look. The all black was a request from stumpyremlin, otherwise I wouldn't actually have them go with the all-black look myself.

On 8/13/2018 at 6:50 PM, Lafarge said:

Team two, and the first casualty of the complete rebrand, the Kansas City Chiefs.

fqlnxi6.png

While attempting to come up with a striping pattern for the Chiefs, I ultimately came across an idea to combine the letters KC with the arrowhead imagery the team has used for years. This created the stripe, which depicts and arrow hitting its target. This design is utilized on the sleeves and the pants. From there I created an entirely updated primary logo, which updates the arrowhead design, making it sleeker and more angular, while implementing a more abstract KC. The primary logo, custom number font, and the stripe all feature a black outline and drop shadow, while the socks and collar feature a design based upon the stripe. 

The color balance of the uniforms was specifically selected to avoid bleed. Yellow is notorious for bleeding with red and white, so I increased the use of black from merely a logo outline to being a major part of the design overall. I specifically chose to not include red or white the same portions of the uniform (besides the swoosh) simply because I've always liked designs that don't include each color but still works together.

This uniform reminds me of Iowa State and Rutgers in the 90s: red teams that emphasized a dark accent color (navy and black respectively). This captures that same look and feel. It is very cool. Nicely done.

I'd buy that Ravens jersey in a heartbeat. I love it.

The raiders uniforms are good but I can't say I'm a fan of the logo. It doesn't strike me as a "Raider". It reminds me more of an 1800s British henchman or an EA sports create-a-team logo for a team named after a crime syndicate. 

Okay, sorry for the delay, guys. I couldn't upload images to imgur for the past few days for some reason, but it is all fixed it seems.

Next up, team #9, the team you all love to hate!

qXdGEp9.png

So, this one is less of a "desecration" and more of a "what would I do." As a lifelong Pats fan, I find coming up with a uniform design that I truly love for the Patriots to be a bit difficult. I've always loved the 90s uniforms in spite of the obvious flaws out of nostalgia, and I can't deny the importance of the dynasty era uniforms, so I wanted to combine all eras of the Patriots.

First things first, I went back to the royal blue, mostly out of personal preference. Second, I had to include shoulder stripes. Save for several seasons, the Patriots have prominently featured a shoulder element (UCLA stripes in the 80s, Oversized logo in the 90s, Silver stripes in the Brady era). Here, I decided to go with the double stripe element found on the pants of the 90s uniforms. On the home, the stripes are red and silver, on the road and the pants, the stripe is blue and red. The shoulder numbers have been moved to the sleeves due to the issue of the numbers overlapping the stripes on the current uniforms. 

Not much else to say, a pretty safe concept this time around.

Archived