Arena Football News & Updates

Just returned home from the Myth's first home game. Sparse crowd, maybe 2,000-3,000 total? Target Center's rebound nets looked incredibly flimsy, though not as bad as what we saw at some other arenas last weekend. Also, a concessions worker let me know that the game even taking place was touch-and-go up until this morning

I'll try and upload some photos and videos here in the next day or so. The Myth are supposed to host Albany this Thursday, but tickets to that game are conspicuously absent from SeatGeek. All other home games have tickets available. Wouldn't be surprised at all if that game is postponed.

sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

Posted (edited)

I also just learned that the Philadelphia Soul's home arena is in Trenton.  LOL.  Not only is their team comprised merely of another league's team wearing Philadelphia uniforms, but if they ever have a home game it'll be in Trenton.  I guess that's still technically in the metro area, but ain't nobody going to those games.

Edited by BBTV
incorrectly referenced Atlantic City instead of Trenton
  • Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 minute ago, BBTV said:

I also just learned that the Philadelphia Soul's home arena is in Atlantic City.  LOL.  Not only is their team comprised merely of another league's team wearing Philadelphia uniforms, but if they ever have a home game it'll be in AC.  I guess that's still technically in the metro area, but ain't nobody going to those games.

I heard that they played in Newark, NJ:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Soul

So they can't even play Wells Fargo Center...

2 minutes ago, TheAnt755 said:

I heard that they played in Newark, NJ:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Soul

So they can't even play Wells Fargo Center...

Oh snap - Trenton, not Alantic City (or Newark).  That's what was in the article I read, not AC.  I'll edit my post.

Either way, a funny place for a team branding itself as "Philadelphia" to play.   It's probably still technically considered more Philadelphia than NY, but anything north of it is basically NY territory.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

13 hours ago, BBTV said:

I also just learned that the Philadelphia Soul's home arena is in Trenton.  LOL.  Not only is their team comprised merely of another league's team wearing Philadelphia uniforms, but if they ever have a home game it'll be in Trenton.  I guess that's still technically in the metro area, but ain't nobody going to those games.

USFL's New Kickoff Will Get Simultaneous Debut on Fox, NBC

9 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I didn't think it was possible to have a worse first season than the AAF but there it is.

Honestly, AAF is more memorable (& entertaining) than AFL '24.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, TheAnt755 said:

Honestly, AAF is more memorable (& entertaining) than AFL '24.

At least their games were televised, crowds were excited and actually existent.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Dilbert said:

Well its not the Arena Football League, but another team is done for the year. NAL Oklahoma Flying Aces are going dormant for the rest of the season.

https://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/flying-aces-to-go-dormant-for-the-reminder-of-2024-to-restructure/n-6090923

This has happened every year in the NAL over the last few years.  They first announce 8 teams, only for two of them to fold before the season starts, so they kick off with six.  Then a team folds midseason and they are down to 5, which screws up their schedule.  

• Like 4

7 hours ago, GDAWG said:

This has happened every year in the NAL over the last few years.  They first announce 8 teams, only for two of them to fold before the season starts, so they kick off with six.  Then a team folds midseason and they are down to 5, which screws up their schedule.  

Is this why they decided to wait until a month ago to start going after West Texas? 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

9 hours ago, GDAWG said:

If NAL don't fix their problem and they, and AFL folds, IFL will be the only Arena Football league that is still operating.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, TheAnt755 said:

If NAL don't fix their problem and they, and AFL folds, IFL will be the only Arena Football league that is still operating.

Honestly, that's probably the best outcome from all of this. Whoever is running this version of the AFL, they couldn't even bother to do anything that lets them stand out. The uniforms aren't anything that helps them stand out as an improvement on the IFL, AIFA, or NAL. Owners seem to have been chosen on "vibes" instead of making sure they had money, or if they were actually interested in the league. Now knowing that they didn't appear to have full access to the original AFL identities and logos, it makes sense why they have butchered the Soul, Voodoo, and Firebirds logos and uniforms for all of the teams, which were all paint by numbers, with everyone using the same number design as well. Hopefully Orlando can move up to the IFL next year. They have a natural rivalry with Jacksonville already built in. I'd also like to see the Tampa Bay Storm come back as well. 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

5 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Is this why they decided to wait until a month ago to start going after West Texas? 

So apparently, the San Antonio Gunslingers were able to negotiate with the NAL on their out, which was something West Texas did not do.  Jacksonville left the NAL for the IFL without penalty, because they had been in the NAL for more than three years (which is the maximum number of years a team has to commit to the NAL).  

• Like 2