Olmec

Yankees/White Sox to play at Field of Dreams 8.13.20

Recommended Posts

They're not even playing at the actual field. They're building another field and stadium. 

 

Enjoy a two lane country road getting 8000 people in and out of there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really liked Mystery, Alaska.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

As AMG said 20 years ago (fantastic YouTube dub)....

and later through Stewie Griffin...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is absurd.

1) it's a temporary stadium??  Seems incredibly wasteful and inauthentic. 

2) I assume they're charging MLB prices, so people would spend a lot of money to watch a game in a sub-standard environment (let alone Iowa factor.)

2.a) while it's only one game, the players will also have to adjust to playing in a stadium constructed out of legos and rubber bands, as opposed to the palaces they're accustomed to that have all the modern training amenities. 

3) 8K max?  That sucks for the other people that would normally have wanted to go see the Yankees play in Chicago, but now can't.  I don't know if that Yankees are a regular road sellout when they play familiar AL teams on the road like they are in many NL markets, but it still robs fans of an opportunity.

4) Gimmicky stuff like this should be saved for pre season or exhibitions that don't mean anything.

 

I assume MLB is getting a nice check for this, probably to promote a re-release of the film or something, so good for them.  Doesn't mean it's not dumb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it might be neat if every team dedicated one game every year to play in some town in their "home market" that's outside of commuting range to the stadium.

 

While it might not make sense for a lot of east-coast teams since like in the Phillies example, I don't think there's anywhere in their 'market' that's more than a 3-hr drive to Phila, but for the midwest and southern teams that have huge (but sparse) territories, it'd be nice to throw some of those fans a bone on a rotating basis every year.  Not too dissimilar to how the Packers used to play in Milwaukee, but for different reasons.

 

Example - the Twins market (at least from a blackout perspective) extends past the Dakotas.  Maybe, now that the precedent is set for playing in sub-standard facilities in sub-sized areas, play a game in North Dakota (the players would probably need to take classes about how great god is though) one year, then South Dakota the next, or have the Mariners play a game in Montana or somewhere in BC (maybe Vancouver, maybe... well, that's all I know about BC.)

 

It's dumb for the same reasons I listed above about the Field of Dreams scam, but if they're going to do stuff like that, the little league game, the civil rights game, then at least this plan could be justified as solidifying their markets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I genuinely dislike that movie for the line, "if you build it, he will come." That statement, transformed into "if you build it, they will come" has been used far too often to justify taxpayer-funded albatrosses for sports team venues. 

 

If you want a good baseball movie to get people to love the sport, there are better options. Major League, A League of Their Own61, The Sandlot, Bull Durham, and so on. I just happen to have a distaste for Field of Dreams and how schmaltzy it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, it’s saccharine crap.  The fifth-best baseball movie on Kevin Costner’s resume. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, it’s saccharine crap.  The fifth-best baseball movie on Kevin Costner’s resume. 

 

It's a waste of James Earl Jones as well, even more than Soul Man or Exorcist II: The Heretic. The best use for the movie is funny overdubs with Jones' most famous character:

 

 

A game of father-son catch probably could've converted Vader back to the light pretty convincingly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey look at that, a stadium the White Sox may actually be able to sell out for once. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2019 at 8:35 AM, SFGiants58 said:

I genuinely dislike that movie for the line, "if you build it, he will come." That statement, transformed into "if you build it, they will come" has been used far too often to justify taxpayer-funded albatrosses for sports team venues. 

 

If you want a good baseball movie to get people to love the sport, there are better options. Major League, A League of Their Own61, The Sandlot, Bull Durham, and so on. I just happen to have a distaste for Field of Dreams and how schmaltzy it is. 

 

On 8/10/2019 at 10:56 AM, Gothamite said:

Yeah, it’s saccharine crap.  The fifth-best baseball movie on Kevin Costner’s resume. 

 

Is there a bandwagon forming to talk about how terrible Field Of Dreams is? If so, count me in. That 1988-1993 era was a golden age for baseball movies and Field of Dreams gets lumped into it for no good damn reason at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Major League

A League of Their Own

Bull Durham

The Sandlot

 

All better than Field of Dreams

 

EDIT: I will entertain arguments for Rookie of the Year; Gary Busey never duped a Chicago exurb into building a ballpark behind a Walgreen's

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, the admiral said:

Major League

A League of Their Own

Bull Durham

The Sandlot

 

All better than Field of Dreams

 

EDIT: I will entertain arguments for Rookie of the Year; Gary Busey never duped a Chicago exurb into building a ballpark behind a Walgreen's

 

Even for the love of the game is better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, the admiral said:

 

All better than Field of Dreams

 

EDIT: I will entertain arguments for Rookie of the Year; Gary Busey never duped a Chicago exurb into building a ballpark behind a Walgreen's

 

Can I add The Fan (Robert DeNiro stalking Wesley Snipes, who is playing an obvious Barry Bonds clone), The Natural (although it has those who dislike it), and 42 to that list?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

 

Can I add The Fan (Robert DeNiro stalking Wesley Snipes, who is playing an obvious Barry Bonds clone), The Natural (although it has those who dislike it), and 42 to that list?

 

I feel like if you didn't watch The Natural 30 years ago, it's kind of hard to appreciate it. I saw it for the first time last summer, and it couldn't possibly live up to its reputation. And, as it happens, it didn't. In large part because, to me, it seemed like there were four total sets repeated over and over again, and it felt far more like an assemblage of actors going through scenes rather than an actual cohesive narrative.

 

For the Love the Game remains close to my heart though, probably because I did indeed watch and enjoy it in 1998 or whatever. It's no Draft Day, but as far as Costner sports movies are concerned, For the Love of the Game is terrific. Tin Cup is his best sports movie.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DG_Now said:

 

I feel like if you didn't watch The Natural 30 years ago, it's kind of hard to appreciate it. I saw it for the first time last summer, and it couldn't possibly live up to its reputation. And, as it happens, it didn't. In large part because, to me, it seemed like there were four total sets repeated over and over again, and it felt far more like an assemblage of actors going through scenes rather than an actual cohesive narrative.

 

The Natural is a weird one because I wouldn't really consider it a baseball movie in the traditional sense. Baseball is the vehicle used to move the plot along, but the real meat of the picture is focused more on overcoming corruption and evil and excess that occurs off the field. It's a very good movie, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't really hold up compared to other baseball movies because baseball is sort of secondary to the plot. 

 

At least, that's what I've always felt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, the admiral said:

Major League

A League of Their Own

Bull Durham

The Sandlot

 

All better than Field of Dreams

 

EDIT: I will entertain arguments for Rookie of the Year; Gary Busey never duped a Chicago exurb into building a ballpark behind a Walgreen's

 

 

Rookie Of The Year isn't on the level of those other movies, but I'd gladly watch it a dozen times in a row before I subjected myself to that trip to the dentist that is Field Of Dreams.

 

Angels In The Outfield too. How does a movie dealing with actual angels manage to be less saccharine than Field Of Dreams?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, and speaking of The Sandlot, Wendy Peffercorn looks like THIS now...

spacer.png

 

That's just not fair.... how the f--k is she even hotter?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.