MLB Stadium Saga: Oakland/Tampa Bay/Southside

So_Fla

4 hours ago, B-Rich said:

The Superdome WAS originally configured to hold both baseball and football

However, the recent renovations Ferd noted have precluded any further baseball being played in the Superdome.  The lower sideline sections, which were once movable to create  a square/diamond shape, have  been made permanent, with bunker clubs underneath the stands  and wider concourses at the top.

The rectangle can no longer become a square.  

BC Place in Vancouver was similar in that it could host both football and baseball. Im guessing when they did renovations there, the ability for baseball went with it too.

Signature intentionally left blank

4 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

With the recent chatter in the news about putting the A’s on hiatus until their Las Vegas stadium is done, and some comments on here about a temporary team to fill in the gap, it honestly wouldn’t surprise me if MLB pushed Fisher to sell the A’s to Big League Utah while granting him an all-new expansion team in Vegas. Obviously SLC would need to figure out funding for the MLB stadium, but they almost seem to have a better plan there than Vegas at the moment.

Salt Lake gets their team and Vegas gets time to figure out their stadium/funding, getting a new team of their own. No one goes on hiatus (unless Fisher wants the A’s brand/records and wants to do some form of Browns/Ravens situation).

I feel like this is the position that the Miller Group has tried to put themselves into, because it's not a guarantee that they'd get an expansion team, especially if western cities like Portland and Vegas are on a short list. 

It's kind of the position that the Smith Group is putting themselves into with the NHL in hopes to get the Coyotes or other relocated team. 

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

2 hours ago, McCall said:

I have seen nothing from MLB that indicates Salt Lake is getting any team, other than the A's, potentially, on a temporary basis. Seems like everybody thinks that because they're being looked at as possible home until the Vegas ballpark is done, and I guess couple with Ryan Smith's intended desires to get an NHL expansion team, it means they've jumped the expansion list. Even IF the A's stayed in Oakland (it's not happening), Nashville would be much more desirable, along with Las Vegas, than Salt Lake.

What is this “expansion list” and who keeps it?

Fisher is burning baseball in an active shared market, a potential future market, and a third longshot-potential market. How hard can it be to get him on a hot mic saying that black guys smell like weed so that he can be forced to sell the team? Fake it with AI if you have to, I don't care. Make the son of a :censored: deny it. 

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

8 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

Fake it with AI if you have to, I don't care. Make the son of a :censored: deny it. 

"That was just AI" is going to become the new "that was taken out of context".  Either way, I'm always up for hearing a denial that starts with "look, I have black friends, and...."

If he was smart, Allen Iverson (who, ironically, always smells like weed) would get his name all over some AI-based system.  "Powered by AI!" 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Not saying its feasible, and the Royals might be the ones who would have to sign off on it, but Omaha has Charles Schwab Field which seats 24k.  Not ideal, but could be a quick stopgap too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TBGKon said:

Not saying its feasible, and the Royals might be the ones who would have to sign off on it, but Omaha has Charles Schwab Field which seats 24k.  Not ideal, but could be a quick stopgap too.

The return of the Kansas City A's (of Omaha... until Las Vegas)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WillLanigan said:

So now the mayor of Las Vegas says she doesn’t think the A’s should even move to LV.  You can’t make this stuff up!  Total ineptitude. 

This is surprising coming from a mayor who is usually all about having major league teams in her city.  

As I understand it, the City of Las Vegas proper does not include the Tropicana site (or at least the majority of the whole Las Vegas Strip, for that matter), Allegiant Stadium, or T-Mobile Arena; all of those properties are in an unincorporated part of Clark County, Nevada.  Thus, I suspect that the Las Vegas mayor's recent comment about the A's and their current ballpark quest stems ultimately from a rivalry with and/or jealousy toward unincorporated Clark County, and I doubt that she would express a wish that the A's work something out in Oakland if the team were targeting an at least equally problematic site that happened to be within the Las Vegas city limits.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

This is surprising coming from a mayor who is usually all about having major league teams in her city.  

Those teams and eventually the A's don't play in her city, they play in Unincorporated Clark County. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Walk-Off said:

As I understand it, the City of Las Vegas proper does not include the Tropicana site (or at least the majority of the whole Las Vegas Strip, for that matter), Allegiant Stadium, or T-Mobile Arena; all of those properties are in an unincorporated part of Clark County, Nevada.  Thus, I suspect that the Las Vegas mayor's recent comment about the A's and their current ballpark quest stem ultimately from a rivalry with and/or jealousy toward unincorporated Clark County, and I doubt that she would express a wish that the A's work something out in Oakland if the team were targeting an at least equally problematic site that happened to be within the Las Vegas city limits.

You'd be correct, the City of Las Vegas includes none of The Strip as the city line starts at Sahara Avenue.

--------------------

I'd care more about the mayor's opinion if the Tropicana site was in the city limits where she would have some control, and if she wasn't in her last year in office. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tp49 said:

You'd be correct, the City of Las Vegas includes none of The Strip as the city line starts at Sahara Avenue.

--------------------

I'd care more about the mayor's opinion if the Tropicana site was in the city limits where she would have some control, and if she wasn't in her last year in office. 

Also add to that the mayor just being the nepotistic extension of her termed-out husband's administration and potential bitterness from the City already having Cashman Field abandoned by an Athletics affiliate for the new ballpark in unincorporated Clark County.

• Like 2

VmWIn6B.png

7 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

So it's like the 49ers in Santa Clara County, the Jets and Giants in New Jersey, Patriots in Foxborough and the Cowboys in Arlington.  

Eh, less so ... it's still "Vegas" but the tax check goes somewhere else.

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

For those who keep thinking that the A’s can somehow survive in Oakland, even taking ballpark issues aside, this isn’t exactly much of a confidence instiller.

Combining with stories like this.

VmWIn6B.png

1 hour ago, LMU said:

For those who keep thinking that the A’s can somehow survive in Oakland, even taking ballpark issues aside, this isn’t exactly much of a confidence instiller.

The In N Out in question along with the two gas stations mentioned are on the other side of 880 from the Coliseum all use the same exit.  Makes me wonder if the "smash and grab spree" doesn't extend to the Coliseum parking lot on game days.

5 hours ago, LMU said:

So the A's are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Judging by the crime wave, I feel like I'm spelling "a rock" wrong.