MLB Stadium Saga: Oakland/Tampa Bay/Southside

So_Fla

I don't know, I just don't see the support at the city or state level for giving Jerry everything he wants. I can't imagine Brandon Johnson speaking in favor of this plan, but then he's drowning so badly already that he may grab onto any life preserver he can.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Johnson tepidly expressing support yesterday gives me hope, in that anything he puts his weight behind seems to burst into flames in short order. I know all the local politics geniuses think the CTU has him in their pocket, but I am convinced he'll end up causing a longer teachers' strike than Rahm or Lori did, possibly by accident.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Jerry Reinsdorf is using a shell company headed by two guys in the White Sox front office to overpay for empty lots around United Center. The big payouts are going to a family with long connections to the Daleys and a former associate of Tony Rezko, who had to do some solid Chicago Way prison time for his business practices. So yes, Jerry has the money to spare for whatever his grand vision is, and he's still playing things like it's the 1990s.

Also, we get treated to an attorney named "Rodney Slutzky."

https://chicago.suntimes.com/the-watchdogs/2024/02/22/jerry-reinsdorf-united-center-parking-lots-purchasing-white-sox-south-loop-ballpark?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=022324 Morning Edition&utm_content=022324 Morning Edition+CID_13071de3eb983469654777515a3ee070&utm_source=cst_campaign_monitor&utm_term=Why is Jerry Reinsdorf spending millions buying up parking lots around the United Center&tpcc=022324 Morning Edition

• Facepalm 1

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

What I find interesting about Jerry Reinsdorf trying to move to the Loop in a clear effort to get the White Sox out of stepchild status is that the whole dynamic with the Cubs being the clear-cut number-one baseball team in Chicago didn't start until Reinsdorf bought the team.

All through the 50s and 60s, the White Sox outdrew the Cubs virtually every year, and even into the early/mid-80s, the teams were pretty much neck and neck with attendance figures.

The last year the White Sox outdrew the Cubs at the gate was 1992, and it's not even close most years. The Cubs outdrew the White Sox by over a million fans yearly from 2014 to 2019. In 2017 and 2018, the difference was almost 1.6 million.

And it's not like the Cubs have had fantastic ownership at this timespan, either. Just one World Series appearance and win. Same as the White Sox. That shows how much people dislike what Reisndorf has done with the franchise since taking from Bill Veeck before the '81 season for the paltry sum of $19 million, or about $65 million in today's money. Don't let anyone tell you money doesn't grow on trees. It absolutely does.

• Like 2
  • WOAH 1

1 minute ago, pmoehrin said:

What I find interesting about Jerry Reinsdorf trying to move to the loop in an apparent effort to get the White Sox out of stepchild status is that the whole dynamic with the Cubs being the clear-cut number-one baseball team in Chicago didn't start until Reinsdorf bought the team.

All through the 50s and 60s, the White Sox outdrew the Cubs virtually every year, and even into the early/mid-80s, the teams were pretty much neck and neck with attendance figures.

The last year the White Sox outdrew the Cubs at the gate was 1992, and it's not even close most years. The Cubs outdrew the White Sox by over a million fans yearly from 2014 to 2019. In 2017 and 2018, the difference was almost 1.6 million.

And it's not like the Cubs have had fantastic ownership at this timespan, either. Just one World Series appearance and win. Same as the White Sox. That shows how much people dislike what Reisndorf has done with the franchise since taking from Bill Veeck before the '81 season for the paltry sum of $19 million, or about $65 million in today's money. Don't let anyone tell you money doesn't grow on trees. It absolutely does.

I'll take it in a different direction -- it shows the pull created by being on WGN all over the country and creating the mystique that is Wrigley Field.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

It's where I sit.

2 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I'll take it in a different direction -- it shows the pull created by being on WGN all over the country and creating the mystique that is Wrigley Field.

The White Sox had a historic ballpark that Jerry couldn't tear down fast enough, and they also had a deal with WGN to carry all the games that Reisndorf couldn't get out of fast enough because he wanted his games to be exclusively on cable.

The Cubs thought big; he thought small. That's always been the difference.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

I can tell you from having read The $1 League and various things about the World Football League through the years that no one knew how to overpromise and outright lie about his ability to get sports owners TV revenue quite like Eddie Einhorn.

5 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Add in the fact that the Cubs and Wrigley were in 68% of the movies made in the 80s and here we are.

• Like 4

BB52Big.jpg

It also helps the Cubs that they built an intense feel of mystique and notoriety over the years thanks to the Curse of the Billy Goat becoming so legendary, and the White Sox...really just kinda exist. They won a World Series before the Cubs and barely anybody but White Sox fans even remember that tidbit because of how much more iconic the Cubs and their win in 2016 are.

New Comiskey doesn't even come anywhere close to the practical divine status of Wrigley or Old Comiskey, and they don't exactly have a lot of recent success to brag about; people born the last time the White Sox won a pennant are now legal adults, and all the franchise has won since is 2 division titles, one of which they won by proxy of being the only team in their division to not :censored: themselves.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

THIS . Exactly.

It is what it is.

I love how one of the richest dudes to ever become a governor isnt a cartoonishlycorrupt dude who shills for private businesses over everything else.       not a singlepublically funded stadium has been a good investment for the state/city/  county that has done them. These guys want it both ways where they can cry poor, all while using their teams as a trophy. If you can't afford to build a new stadium, then you can't afford to have a sports franchise. PERIOD.    if I can't afford the upkeep of a boat, and I can't afford a new boat, I can't go crying to the government to buy me one. So why should these :censored:ers get hundreds of millions for their toys?    /endrant 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

What I can't get over is that it's the same guy! It's the same guy who did it last time. "If you don't give me a free stadium, I'm moving the team!" 35 years go by, "hey, me again. You're not gonna believe this."

• Like 5

On 2/23/2024 at 3:16 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

On 2/23/2024 at 3:22 PM, pmoehrin said:

The White Sox had a historic ballpark that Jerry couldn't tear down fast enough, and they also had a deal with WGN to carry all the games that Reisndorf couldn't get out of fast enough because he wanted his games to be exclusively on cable.

The Cubs thought big; he thought small. That's always been the difference.

This isn't just true of the White Sox though. This is true of all teams in the NHL, NBA, and MLB. Putting games behind paywalls has been nothing short of disastrous for all of them. The NFL and the Cubs are all the proof you need that exposure should be the #1 goal of any mass entertainment entity. These teams are stepping over dollars to pick up pennies with their RSN deals.

• Applause 1

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

I don't think that publicly financed stadiums are always a bad decision. Just usually.

If a team provides a crucial piece of the city's identity, I think it makes sense to pay to keep them. The StL Cardinals. Any NHL team in Canada. The Lakers. The Chiefs. The Bills.

Teams that are one of the first things that comes to mind when people think of their city.

No one in the last 50 years has thought to themselves "Chicago? Oh, you mean where the White Sox play!"

Ship 'em to Nashville on the next bus out.

• Facepalm 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

2 hours ago, throwuascenario said:

If a team provides a crucial piece of the city's identity, I think it makes sense to pay to keep them. The StL Cardinals.

Busch Stadium was privately financed, in a rare case of the Cardinals occupying the moral high ground while actually having earned it.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, throwuascenario said:

I don't think that publicly financed stadiums are always a bad decision. Just usually.

If a team provides a crucial piece of the city's identity, I think it makes sense to pay to keep them. The StL Cardinals. Any NHL team in Canada. The Lakers. The Chiefs. The Bills.

Teams that are one of the first things that comes to mind when people think of their city.

No one in the last 50 years has thought to themselves "Chicago? Oh, you mean where the White Sox play!"

Ship 'em to Nashville on the next bus out.

That cuts both ways though- the Maple Leafs aren't really the Maple Leafs if they move to Houston and these team owners know this. I think a lot of major domestic sports' expansion has struggled because we're reaching diminishing returns on the untapped markets- Vegas is already being wrung dry, and no amount of threats will make London (UK) feasible. Seattle in the NBA is probably the only real strong exception, although even there I have to imagine the Kraken have eaten into a certain amount of what the limit would be, but otherwise I think cities need to start letting teams walk. At a certain point it'd stop the whole game, because the owners would police their own- they need the leverage to make it work, and when all that's left is Omaha and Regina, the leverage will be gone.

Edit: I'd add Québec as a strong potential NHL market, but it's a fairly low ceiling market and it doesn't really work as leverage because it involves selling the team to PKP, who already has a sports toy now in the Als.

• Like 2