MLB Stadium Saga: Oakland/Tampa Bay/Southside

So_Fla

7 minutes ago, SCMODS said:

There is zero public transportation into the Howard Terminal site. 

I mean, why would there be public transportation to what is currently a shipping yard parking lot? The only people that'd need to be there are the people who work there.

Obviously there'd be public transport added if it was redeveloped into a baseball stadium.

• Like 2

Looks like BART is elevated around Howard Terminal, which would make building a station north of it easier than if it were underground. It wouldn't be a perfect Wrigley Field situation, but it would be close enough.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 2/28/2023 at 12:45 PM, WestCoastBias said:

BART Stations to Howard Terminal

West Oakland - 1 mile (looks rough right around the station but not bad closer to Howard Terminal, industrial though)

12th Street - 1 mile (best option, nice walk right down Broadway)

Lake Merritt - 1.4 miles (probably 2nd best option even though its the farthest)

BART Stations to Oracle Park

Montgomery - 1 mile

Powell - 1.2 miles

Embarcadero - 1.2 miles

BUT in San Francisco you can transfer to Muni Metro which gets drops you off right at Oracle Park. Chase Center is the same way but further away from BART.

Also

California Memorial Stadium

Downtown Berkley - 0.9 miles

Howard Terminal is definitely walkable from BART, not for everybody but a 1 mile walk isn't bad at all. People do it for Cal games and Giants games.

Here's a post I made earlier about BART station distances to Howard Terminal. A roughly mile walk isn't bad, a lot of people do it for Cal games and Giants games. There is also an Amtrak station at Jack London Square where maybe they could get some special commuter service started similar to the Giants and CalTrain. 

I don't know if zero public transportation is exactly fair to say, but it's just not directly adjacent like at the Coliseum. 

20 hours ago, WestCoastBias said:

Here's a post I made earlier about BART station distances to Howard Terminal. A roughly mile walk isn't bad, a lot of people do it for Cal games and Giants games. There is also an Amtrak station at Jack London Square where maybe they could get some special commuter service started similar to the Giants and CalTrain. 

I don't know if zero public transportation is exactly fair to say, but it's just not directly adjacent like at the Coliseum. 

Given how bad West Oakland is very, very few would make the walk from there to Howard Terminal. 

I thought the Giants had transit right to the doorstep, too. Is that Muni instead of BART? The Bay Area's transit system is an enigma to me. Anyway, the A's would need it at Howard Terminal, too, no matter what BART says its plans are.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

I thought the Giants had transit right to the doorstep, too. Is that Muni instead of BART? The Bay Area's transit system is an enigma to me. Anyway, the A's would need it at Howard Terminal, too, no matter what BART says its plans are.

Yeah that's Muni, you can transfer from BART to Muni and it stops right at the ballpark 

54 minutes ago, SCMODS said:

This :censored: Fisher just won't sell the team. 

I heard Casey Pratt say that Fisher bought the A's for $180 million, and that the team is now valued at $1.8 billion. I have also heard speculation that the valuation could double upon a move to Las Vegas. 

However, if everything falls through in Las Vegas, then the value of the team would probably be on the verge of plummeting.  In that case, selling would be the logical thing to do.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

2 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

So an MLB stadium problem was solved by taking out the Trop, but not the one we were thinking of…

🤔

Not sure which Trop is the bigger dump

• LOL 2

6uXNWAo.png

Reasons this shouldn’t and won’t happen:

- A third team in Florida? Really?

- SeaWorld is a genuinely awful location for a stadium

- The state/county wouldn’t approve that much public money, nor should they

- Other cities have much stronger cases for a team

Reasons why this should happen:

- I would like it to (although preferably without the public money, and more importantly a better name)

ExJworW.png

9 minutes ago, PrimalCookie said:

Reasons this shouldn’t and won’t happen:

- A third team in Florida? Really?

- SeaWorld is a genuinely awful location for a stadium

- The state/county wouldn’t approve that much public money, nor should they

- Other cities have much stronger cases for a team

Reasons why this should happen:

- I would like it to (although preferably without the public money, and more importantly a better name)

This would only work if the Rays were the team that moved to Orlando.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin