MLB Stadium Saga: Oakland/Tampa Bay/Southside

So_Fla

I'm thrilled to know this guy is still at it.

EJ1B3HpXYAUZxu9.jpg

I would love to know what the stadium architect thought when they were given *that* logo to include in their renders.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

8 hours ago, PrimalCookie said:

Reasons this shouldn’t and won’t happen:

- A third team in Florida? Really?

- SeaWorld is a genuinely awful location for a stadium

- The state/county wouldn’t approve that much public money, nor should they

- Other cities have much stronger cases for a team

Reasons why this should happen:

- I would like it to (although preferably without the public money, and more importantly a better name)

The proposed location is in one of the most challenging areas for traffic (just north of SeaWorld near the intersection of I-4 and SR-528).  No way do locals go there on a regular basis.

• Like 2

Gotta say, that is one beauty of a ballpark they're proposing.

Not a fan of the proposed team name, though...they should keep the franchise name and be the Orlando Rays.

bYhYmxh.png

25 minutes ago, Burmy said:

Not a fan of the proposed team name, though...they should keep the franchise name and be the Orlando Rays.

Well, they cant be the Rays unless its the Rays proposing this.  Right now its for expansion, and this group has been around since 2019.

14 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I'm thrilled to know this guy is still at it.

EJ1B3HpXYAUZxu9.jpg

I would love to know what the stadium architect thought when they were given *that* logo to include in their renders.

He's not content at being the sports executive that drafted Shaq and Penny is he?

21 hours ago, Cujo said:

RIP the Tropicana

Crazy. I just stayed there last week. Would be a little sad to see it go; one of the longest standing strip hotels, but that property is in rough shape. A shame none of the proposed renovations for it came to light. One heck of a location for the ball park though.

18 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Isn't that where Carrot Top has residency?

Mr Top is at Luxor.

• Like 1

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

5 hours ago, Burmy said:

I think this, like the Nashville Stars, is more of a name for the bid committee, not necessarily the name that the actual team would be called.  Like how Olympic bid committees have separate logos from what the host city's official Olympic logo ends up being.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

6 hours ago, TBGKon said:

Well, they cant be the Rays unless its the Rays proposing this.  Right now its for expansion, and this group has been around since 2019.

Florida can barely support two teams right now...no way they'll be able to support three.

No, they should focus on trying to court the Rays to Orlando...as I said, their ballpark would be a beauty, and it's already looking more feasible than anything that's been proposed in Tampa Bay for the team.

bYhYmxh.png

7 minutes ago, WestCoastBias said:

are the Magic the most forgettable team in sports?

They used to be pretty high profile, thanks in large part to having Shaq-Penny-T-Mac-Dwight Howard pretty much one right after the other. Magic jerseys were a common sight in the early 00s. But they imploded after the Howard era and have spent the last decade being Hornets south.

(I was gonna go on to say that they've been terrible drafters during that time, but after looking it up, eh not really. They just never bottomed out at the right time until the Banchero draft. But while looking this up I learned that they drafted Domantas Sabonis, then immediately traded him and Victor Oladipo for Serge Ibaka, then traded Ibaka at the following trade deadline for a box of Nutri-Grain bars.)

Anyway, the Nashville people have no actual money, and nobody in Portland is interested. Salt Lake might be decent, if they actually build that place, if the Sunday thing really isn't an issue like some people claim, and if the Miller group is still capable of being principal owners of a big-four team. If not then that's just another Nashville, i.e. just randos with a website.

13 hours ago, BBTV said:

I think this, like the Nashville Stars, is more of a name for the bid committee, not necessarily the name that the actual team would be called.  Like how Olympic bid committees have separate logos from what the host city's official Olympic logo ends up being.

I hope you're right about Orlando, but the people behind the Nashville campaign are very intent on naming an expansion team the Stars. This is from the FAQ on their website:

If awarded a franchise, the current plans are to name the new team the “Nashville Stars” in honor of several Negro Leagues baseball teams that played games in Nashville prior to the integration of Major League Baseball. We intend to honor that legacy. The name also recognizes that Nashville is home to numerous stars in music, entertainment and sports.

1 minute ago, gosioux76 said:

I hope you're right about Orlando, but the people behind the Nashville campaign are very intent on naming an expansion team the Stars. This is from the FAQ on their website:

i’m cool with Stars based on that reasoning, but it does set them up for ridicule when the team has no stars and sucks. 

But Dreamers is still dumb. 

• Like 6

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 hours ago, who do you think said:

They used to be pretty high profile, thanks in large part to having Shaq-Penny-T-Mac-Dwight Howard pretty much one right after the other. Magic jerseys were a common sight in the early 00s. But they imploded after the Howard era and have spent the last decade being Hornets south.

(I was gonna go on to say that they've been terrible drafters during that time, but after looking it up, eh not really. They just never bottomed out at the right time until the Banchero draft. But while looking this up I learned that they drafted Domantas Sabonis, then immediately traded him and Victor Oladipo for Serge Ibaka, then traded Ibaka at the following trade deadline for a box of Nutri-Grain bars.)

Anyway, the Nashville people have no actual money, and nobody in Portland is interested. Salt Lake might be decent, if they actually build that place, if the Sunday thing really isn't an issue like some people claim, and if the Miller group is still capable of being principal owners of a big-four team. If not then that's just another Nashville, i.e. just randos with a website.

Ah yeah the Hornets are more forgettable. You know a team is the most forgettable when you forget about them when talking about what team is the most forgettable. 

The Nashville money thing could be a real issue, I doubt they get any public funding after the Titans stadium got approved. People in Portland are interested, it's just that they were the first to announce their intentions to secure an expansion team back in 2017 and since then interest has kind of waned due to no news on expansion and now other cities are getting all the publicity because they're announcing their plans when the topic is hot. 

That Orlando Dreamers identity would be perfect for an Iowa-based minor league team.

• Love 1

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

You see a ton of “MLB to PDX” bumper stickers driving around up here. The problem is that there aren’t any credible owners to be found. I’m sure one of our more business minded posters could explain why Phil Knight never got into owning a sports franchise. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ZapRowsdower8 said:

You see a ton of “MLB to PDX” bumper stickers driving around up here. The problem is that there aren’t any credible owners to be found. I’m sure one of our more business minded posters could explain why Phil Knight never got into owning a sports franchise. 

Not sure. He made a bid for the Blazers, iirc. 

IUe6Hvh.png

4 hours ago, ZapRowsdower8 said:

why Phil Knight never got into owning a sports franchise

one could argue that he owns dozens of them.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 1