MLB Stadium Saga: Oakland/Tampa Bay/Southside

So_Fla

23 minutes ago, McCall said:

So, where are they playing in 2028?... Montreal or Nashville.

Nowhere. Let's put contraction back on the table.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

5 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Nowhere. Let's put contraction back on the table.

Getting rid of the Rays and A's sounds like something that should've been done about 20 years ago.

Rays and Marlins would also work, to get rid of the flop that was Florida expansion. Marlins Park can become Inter Miami's new stadium! ;) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Getting rid of the Rays and A's sounds like something that should've been done about 20 years ago.

Rays and Marlins would also work, to get rid of the flop that was Florida expansion. Marlins Park can become Inter Miami's new stadium! ;) 

I would get rid of the Rays and A's instead of the Marlins. At least the Marlins won two World Series two out of the three playoff appearance's. The A's have nothing to live for and relocating the team to Las Vegas would actually be a death sentence for the team. LV already has the Golden Knights and the Raiders, adding another Oakland team in A's would be an mistake. I rather see the team fold then going to Vegas.

While I'm not a fan of getting rid of teams just for reasons, it does help out in the end like with MLS.  Plus MLS did return to Florida with Orlando City SC and now with Inter Miami. 

My Alternative History Sports Stories:

CFL-USA - A Different Telling/StL Americans TL

5 minutes ago, Matthew24 said:

I would get rid of the Rays and A's instead of the Marlins. At least the Marlins won two World Series two out of the three playoff appearance's.

Well, look at the team in between and since those titles. Fire sales immediately following any signs of contention, fans that have never been engaged with the team, and every ownership group doing everything they can to alienate fans. Joe Robbie Stadium was a horrendous baseball venue, only to be replaced by one in a fairly inaccessible part of Miami. Getting rid of the Marlins and giving their stadium to Inter Miami would be a net benefit for MLS and MLB.

If we want to fold four teams, I'd suggest tossing in the Diamondbacks and the A's. The Diamondbacks have never been the resounding draw they were initially hoped to be and it'd keep regular-season games out of Spring Training locations.

1 minute ago, Wings2 said:

I'll say this: The Rockies, Marlins, Rays & Diamondbacks probably should've never happened. 

I beg to differ with the Rockies. Coors Field is the only good stadium for any of the '90s expansion teams (one of the first with open concourses, IIRC) and the market seems fairly engaged with them during brief bits of good play/when the Giants or Dodgers are in town.

The only '90s expansion teams that should've happened were Denver and DC, with the Expos and Angels folding in the early-'00s. The A's would then move to Anaheim.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SFGiants58 said:

I beg to differ with the Rockies. Coors Field is the only good stadium for any of the '90s expansion teams (one of the first with open concourses, IIRC) and the market seems fairly engaged with them during brief bits of good play/when the Giants or Dodgers are in town.

The only '90s expansion teams that should've happened were Denver and DC, with the Expos and Angels folding in the early-'00s. The A's would then move to Anaheim.

You do know those are the same club, right?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

23 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

1. Honestly the Colorado Rockies should have been called the Denver Bears instead IMO.

2. DC should have gotten an expansion team: Washington Greys instead of the Nationals (generic for generic sake) and the Senators.

3. Hell to the no with the Anaheim Angels folding and the A's relocating to Anaheim. bad call, very bad call...

4. Expos should have folded when the team proposal for a new stadium being rejected. I would accept relocation to Vancouver or Portland though...

Bummer to hear that the 'sister city' concept isn't going to work. That would have been an interesting approach.

I hope that the Rays find a stadium solution in the Tampa Bay area. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they relocate if things don't work out.

1 hour ago, Matthew24 said:

If I may ask why? Not to say I'm against it but curious if anyone shares the same opinion in the matter?

Because I don't believe in the long-term health of the league. Too many stadiums are mostly empty. There aren't great baseball markets out there waiting for new stadium construction. I don't believe that RSNs are a long-term sustainable solution to funding franchises, and while I'm ignorant on MLB's national TV distribution deals, I can't imagine they come close to footballs. 

MLB just cannibalized its farm system. The league doesn't advertise a guy (Mike Trout) who might be a top ten all-time player. The playoffs are unnecessarily restricted. The Braves should have been disqualified from the playoffs for crimes against fiscal sense and civic spirit. 

Now I'm just complaining about baseball, but the spirit of the argument is the whole thing seems poorly managed (it's in a lockout right now!) and I feel like the owners are sacrificing the future to keep windfalls of today going as long as they can.

I have similar frustrations with the United States of America, and think contraction is a good idea there too.

• Like 4

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 minute ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

The league doesn't advertise a guy (Mike Trout) who might be a top ten all-time player.

It also doesn't help that he's the most boring man in the universe. I'd be all for him having a Lenny Dykstra or Oil Can Boyd-level meltdown if it meant he did something exciting.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SFGiants58 said:

It also doesn't help that he's the most boring man in the universe. I'd be all for him having a Lenny Dykstra or Oil Can Boyd-level meltdown if it meant he did something exciting.

There must be an image consultant somewhere who can help with this. If you're a pro athlete, there has to be some appreciation for performance as art, right? Or else why bother playing in front of other people?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Because I don't believe in the long-term health of the league. Too many stadiums are mostly empty. There aren't great baseball markets out there waiting for new stadium construction. I don't believe that RSNs are a long-term sustainable solution to funding franchises, and while I'm ignorant on MLB's national TV distribution deals, I can't imagine they come close to footballs. 

MLB just cannibalized its farm system. The league doesn't advertise a guy (Mike Trout) who might be a top ten all-time player. The playoffs are unnecessarily restricted. The Braves should have been disqualified from the playoffs for crimes against fiscal sense and civic spirit. 

Now I'm just complaining about baseball, but the spirit of the argument is the whole thing seems poorly managed (it's in a lockout right now!) and I feel like the owners are sacrificing the future to keep windfalls of today going as long as they can.

I have similar frustrations with the United States of America, and think contraction is a good idea there too.

Thank you! I honestly agree that the long-term health would be better then just short-term gains for the league.

But, being honest about this, I rather watch the NPB or KBO over MLB. The MLB failed me as a fan with the lockdown happening again. 

• Like 1