MLB Stadium Saga: Oakland/Tampa Bay/Southside

So_Fla

25 minutes ago, FiddySicks said:

So contraction is still on the table, huh? 

I did find that because Disney was losing money on the Angels, they could've been contracted and Schott/Hoffman would move to Anaheim. The A's were also in contraction talks briefly, but it was barely considered (as Schott/Hoffman weren't bleeding money like Disney was at the time).

Had MLB the chance to do it over, the A's and Rays would've been 1-800-235-DEAD. 

• Like 1

On 11/13/2021 at 10:09 AM, the admiral said:

I always thought that was an interesting wrinkle, how the A's screwed Seattle and helped Milwaukee because Symington did "nice antitrust exemption, shame if something happened to it" about Kansas City having to wait. I don't think we've ever had four true expansion teams join the league at once since, have we? The ABA and WHA teams came in fully formed or close to it (I think it was the Jets who got ransacked on the way in). Having one of the four fail in the first year would be a good reason why it hasn't happened since.

You're right. Since the era of league mergers, most expansion efforts have either come in pairs or, like the most recent MLS expansion, staggered one franchise per year over several years. 

Of the major leagues, the NBA came closest to having four teams join in short order:  Charlotte and Miami in 1988, followed by Minnesota and Orlando in 1989. 

• Like 4

NHL did 5 from 1991-1993 and 4 from 1998-2000 as well with notably mixed outcomes.

• Like 1
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

I've heard that there are people who want Jeff Vinik to buy the team.  Not sure if he still owns a minority share of the Red Sox though

He can buy the team as soon as his downtown project stops clogging up all the traffic.

On 1/9/2022 at 8:32 PM, GDAWG said:

Because there's not a more coveted endorsement than a bunch of working and retired empty suits who haven't had a damn thing to do with the team up to this point.  And, I'm sure that hospital leaders and Coke distributors are the authorities on regional macroeconomics.

(Please tell me we're going full Coyotes and that the Columbia Restaurant Group has a Johnny Rockets in its portfolio).

• Like 5

VmWIn6B.png

2 hours ago, LMU said:

Because there's not a more coveted endorsement than a bunch of working and retired empty suits who haven't had a damn thing to do with the team up to this point.  And, I'm sure that hospital leaders and Coke distributors are the authorities on regional macroeconomics.

(Please tell me we're going full Coyotes and that the Columbia Restaurant Group has a Johnny Rockets in its portfolio).

https://www.columbiarestaurant.com/

Sadly no, it's a Spanish restaurant with seven locations in Florida. 

IbjBaeE.png

You have to at least give Rays ownership some points for creativity, no? 

The whole proposition seems ludicrous, and I don't believe for a second that this is designed as a long-term solution to the situation. But I can see how  concept could, in theory, bring some clarity to two unanswered questions that make Tampa and Montreal risky bets on their own.  

Question 1: Is the main problem with Tampa its stadium and location? Or is it a market that's proven it can't support MLB?

This half-season ploy allows them to dip one toe in the water to test out this theory. If they can show, in half-season increments, that Tampa can support the Rays in a more ideal location, maybe that reduces the risk of going all-in on the market.  Conversely, if it proves the market won't support MLB at all, then it shows they were right to not invest more fully in Tampa and can explore the possibilities in Montreal. 

Question 2: Can Montreal support MLB or is nostalgia driving the push to relaunch the Expos? 

It's the same scenario for Montreal. Having a team there, even for a half season, allows them to exhibit the market's appetite for pro baseball. Even if the Rays decide to go all-in with Tampa eventually, Montreal can apply their experience as part-time hosts as evidence in their arguments for relocation of expansion.  It's akin to what Oklahoma City did with the NBA as temporary hosts of the Hornets.  In this scenario, the optimal outcome would be Tampa proves it can 

support the Rays and Montreal showcases its potential for a team of its own. 

This could all be fantasy, of course. 

• Like 2

On 1/9/2022 at 11:32 PM, GDAWG said:

Why does it matter when retired business professionals are backing this?  That doesn't mean that current corporations are backing it.

There are also many large local corporations not on this list, so its clearly not unanimous.

On 1/11/2022 at 12:12 PM, monkeypower said:

https://www.columbiarestaurant.com/

Sadly no, it's a Spanish restaurant with seven locations in Florida. 

On 1/11/2022 at 3:02 PM, IceCap said:

They're really good. 

is there now 

They ARE really, really good. 

We went to the one in St. Augustine on Lundi Gras night last year (since Mardi Gras was canceled we took a road trip); other than the lengthy wait for a table, it was fantastic and the food was delicious.   Also  a tremendous atmosphere:
Columbia-St-Augustine-Patio.jpg

Columbia_CR_Room35.jpg

• Like 2

It is what it is.