2020 NASCAR Season Thread

DCarp1231

Ryan has been an outspoken opponent, so to speak, of plate racing and how it causes cars to leave the surface.  There's a video of a compilation of him leaving the ground.  He has a degree from Purdue in Mechanic Engineering and has been critical of those engineers NASCAR has hired to fix the problem.

Pack racing looks cool and all, but it's not safe!  

Thank God for the safety features implemented by NASCAR - the Newman Bar addition to the cockpit roll cage (Yes, his suggestion), the HANS device, SAFER barriers, better seats, including LaJoie seats, designed by Corie's dad Randy.  

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like, this was a freak accident. A combination of bad drafting and Newman trying to block. NASCAR does need to do something about the tandem drafting, but it's a fine line you're treading. Because you're trying to make the races and the drivers safer; but you also don't want to neuter the cars and the racing, and make superspeedway races nothing more than a glorified, 200-lap, follow-the-leader freight train.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Cup Series Results from Las Vegas

1. Joey Logano

2. Matt DiBenedetto

3. Ricky Stenhouse Jr.

4. Austin Dillon

5. Jimmie Johnson

6. Bubba Wallace

7. Brad Keselowski

8. Kevin Harvick

9. Kyle Larson

10. Ty Dillon

A late spin by Ross Chastain prevented what could've been an entertaining fight to the finish between Ryan Blaney and Alex Bowman. The two decided to come down pit road during the caution while Logano stayed out, getting a great restart and holding off DiBenedetto and Stenhouse for his second-consecutive spring Las Vegas win. 

Next week: Auto Club Speedway

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

• 4 weeks later...

I'm usually not much into watching people play video games competitively, but if you're itching for some "live sports", NASCAR is doing The first-ever eNASCAR iRacing Pro Invitational Series, where real drivers will take to the video game iRacing and race at virtual Homestead Speedway (where this weeks cancelled race was supposed to be held).  The race will be on FS1 with commentary by Mike Joy, Jeff Gordon, and Clint Bowyer.

It's a pretty neat answer to having to cancel live events.

Some of the drivers have pretty sweet setups.

IUe6Hvh.png

• 3 weeks later...

I do think NASCAR (and auto racing) will be one of the first sports back, but it will be the last of the individual sports to return.  I think they won't return until the CDC lifts its "no gatherings of ten or more people at the same time" mandate since I believe pit crews have more than 10 people.  

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Interesting schedule has been set for NASCAR’s return to the track on May 17th including FOUR Cup races in a two week span:

spacer.png

Are they planning on having fans? I know SC is tripping over itself to reopen but thankfully Roy Cooper has even a bit of common sense and kept the state locked down. Not sure how this will work.

the user formerly known as cdclt

12 minutes ago, QCS said:

Are they planning on having fans? I know SC is tripping over itself to reopen but thankfully Roy Cooper has even a bit of common sense and kept the state locked down. Not sure how this will work.

There won’t be fans. A bunch of safety regulations are being put in place and there’s nothing planned beyond Charlotte because NASCAR has decided not to travel too far away from team shops in NC.

As far as the race setups, there won’t be practice sessions or qualifying other than qualifying for the Coca-Cola 600.

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

There won’t be fans. A bunch of safety regulations are being put in place and there’s nothing planned beyond Charlotte because NASCAR has decided not to travel too far away from team shops in NC.

As far as the race setups, there won’t be practice sessions or qualifying other than qualifying for the Coca-Cola 600.

Smart. Still gonna be a ton of people in one place, how are they planning to get around that?

the user formerly known as cdclt

Archived