Goodbye 2010s -- What was your favorite and least favorite sports brand/uniform trend of the last 10 years?

On 1/7/2020 at 8:24 PM, Fitzy0220 said:

- enter 2007 and the RBK Edge garbage uniform and you now have a rounded baby onsie bottom hem. (Men's button down dress shirts have a rounded bottom hem, Baseball jerseys have a rounded bottom hem, why? because they get tucked into the Pants, the extra material is needed to help keep it tucked in, Hockey Jerseys are not tucked in)

When Reebok first proposed the Edge system the jerseys were intended to be tucked in.  It was part of their plan to make the player sleeker and more aerodynamic.  Then when they started testing them on ice the players complained that they were holding too much heat and sweat in.  Eventually they changed the materials to be more moisture-wicking, and decided against tucking the jerseys, but the rounded hem remained.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/8/2020 at 11:13 PM, Echo said:

When Reebok first proposed the Edge system the jerseys were intended to be tucked in.  It was part of their plan to make the player sleeker and more aerodynamic.  Then when they started testing them on ice the players complained that they were holding too much heat and sweat in.  Eventually they changed the materials to be more moisture-wicking, and decided against tucking the jerseys, but the rounded hem remained.

Yeah I remember they had problems with the socks as well, guys were talking about the puddles in their skates  LOL

Just added comment about having black when its not in a team's color scheme, I just watched a clip of Minnesota Viking's head coach Mike Zimmer's press conference. And he was wearing a black cap with the Viking logo on it. Could you just wear a purple cap please??

Agree with much of the earlier comments.

The Good

MLB

- The Blue Jays 2012 rebrand – gone is the BFBS monstrosities and back is a modern take of the classic 1989-1996 look.  This may be the best sports-related rebrand of all time.  Please stay this way, Toronto.

- Brewers bringing back the MB Glove logo full-time

- Padres announcing they’re going brown for 2020

- Twins 2010 rebrand upon moving to Target Field (unfortunately, their next rebrand in the decade is a downgrade)

- Nationals wearing Expos throwbacks. Prior to that, the Nats rarely acknowledged their Montreal roots.

- Red Sox bringing back the 1990-2008 road uniforms in 2014. 

- Mets dropping black entirely form their color scheme in 2013.

- Astros going back to navy blue/orange (Still can’t get used to them as an AL team, even though they have won a World Series as one).

- Athletics bringing a kelly green alternate.  They should change the shade of green from the rest of their uniforms from hunter to kelly.

NFL

-  Bills 2011 rebrand – the navy/royal/red/nickel garbage is no more and replaced with a modernized 1970s look.  I do miss the red helmets though but they wouldn’t fit with this look.

- Vikings 2013 rebrand – Most Nike uniforms are frowned upon but they did a good job fixing up the Vikings.  Huge improvement on what they had before.

- Rams returning to LA and the NFL letting them wearing the classic royal blue/yellow throwbacks.

- Chargers finally making power blue uniforms the primary home uniforms (too bad they’re not in San Diego no more).

- Saints Color-Rush – one of the few good “Color Rush” uniforms (much of them are garbage).  If only they wore gold socks or black socks with them.

- Giants Color-Rush – They never win wearing these but they look sharp and should keep these as an alternate jersey but with blue socks.

- Dolphins 70s throwbacks – make them full time!

- Falcons 60s/90s throwback hybrid

NHL

- Stars 2013 rebrand – return of green as primary color and huge improvement on what they had before

- Winnipeg Jets return

- Carolina Hurricanes wearing Hartford Whaler throwbacks

- Predators 2011 rebrand – Traditionally, gold (yellow) isn’t a good choice for a dark colored jersey, but somehow the Predators have made it work and made the color their own instead of being another blue team.  The simplicity of their logo is also a plus although more simple designs don’t always work especially for expansion/relocated-era teams (see Lightning, Hurricanes, Coyotes)

- Oilers going back fully to their classic look in 2011

- Ducks wearing a Mighty Ducks throwback in 2018/19

- Penguins swapping vegas gold for athletic gold (yellow) and going back to their classic look.

NBA

- Charlotte Hornets return! No more Bobcats! The logos are good though the uniforms, while not awful, could have been better (I’ve seen better concepts at the Bring Back the Buzz website and on this forum.).  The only downside is the more complex Cleveland Brown-like revisionist history.

- Jazz 2010 rebrand.  The previous set was boring and I like the retro-inspired look.  The only changes I would make is change navy blue to purple and brighten the shade of green. Oh, add the 90s Mountain look as a throwback.

Overall:

- Some teams returning to classic-based looks

- teams more willing to add brighter colors

The Bad

MLB

- The Padres 2010s uniforms. Simplistic navy blue snorefest.  ZZZZZZZZ

- Teams wearing alternate uniforms too much in the playoffs (see Cubs/Indians Game 7 World Series and the recent Nationals’ superstition of wearing their midnight blue jerseys in every game of the playoffs).  Though this isn’t a 2010s trend as this has been going on for years such as the Marlins wearing their black jerseys in the 2003 playoffs & World Series and the Indians always wearing their navy tops on the road (see game 6 of 1995 WS, game 7 of 1997 WS)

- the bowdlerization of Chief Wahoo.  Indians needed a rebrand anyway (new logo, uniforms, even colors) but I don’t buy MLB’s sudden “we were always offended by this logo” stance.   The Tribe missed a golden opportunity for a fresh new look after retiring Wahoo.  The bland “Block C” look is a downgrade from what they had before.

- The Diamondbacks dark gray road uniforms.  I get “Thinking Outside the Box”, but this was poorly executed.  Didn’t help that the black numbers/scripts almost blended in with the uniform.

- Nike logos on the uniforms

- Players Weekend 2019.  Monochrome black vs Monochrome white.  So horrible it makes 1999’s “Turn Ahead the Clock” look good in comparison.

- Mother’s Day/Father’s Day/4th of July/Memorial Day jerseys.  Just add a patch to celebrate the holidays.

- Twins recent new uniforms.  They had it right the first time.

- Marlins 2012 rebrand – black/orange doesn’t work for them and they failed to embrace sky blue.  Besides, we already have the Giants and Orioles already have those colors.  And that Maroon 5 like logo. Ugh!  Their 2019 rebrand, while not perfect, is an upgrade to this mess.

- Some teams using letters / cap logos as primary logos (see Pirates, Rockies, Padres, Brewers before their rebrand)

- Rangers recent rebrand.  From jumping on the powder blue bandwagon to wearing red caps to a blue heavy uniform.

NFL

- One-Helmet Policy.  I understand Oldschoolvikings’ argument detailing the good parts of this policy, which prevents teams from going Oregon Ducks and protecting the players’ safety.  I still think there should be exceptions for throwbacks, where the throwback helmet is ONLY worn with the throwback jersey and CANNOT be mix and match with the teams’ other uniforms.  Who doesn’t want to see Pat Patriot, The Bucs’ Creamisles, Broncos’ orange crush-era helmets, Eagles in Kelly green and so on again for one game.

- Color Rush.  From the Jaguars all-mustard, Bucs all-red, Bills/Jets colorblindness fiasco.  Also, false advertising where the other team is wearing all-white 50% of time . All around disaster.

- The Buccaneers 2014 rebrand.  From alarm-clock numbers to 2000s-era over-piping.  There was nothing wrong with what they had before!

- Browns rebrand – another case of “Don’t Fix What’s Not Broken”.  From hard to read orange numbers on the brown uniforms to unnecessary wordmarks on the uniforms.  At least the Browns are finally getting rid of these.

- Titans 2018 rebrand.  They don’t look good in navy helmets at all!  Plus, the number font is garbage.  HUGE downgrade from what they had before.

- Jets 2018 BFBS uniform.  The rest of Jets uniforms aren’t too bad actually.  The shade of green is nice and is a modernization of the 80s/90s (often underrated) look.  But the black monochrome uniforms are unnecessary.

- Due to the NFL’s rules on changing uniforms, the Rams are stuck between wearing LA throwbacks at home and St. Louis-era navy blue/metallic gold on the road

- Jaguars 2013 rebrand – the previous set wasn’t that good but this set was so bad with the two-tone helmet.  The current rebrand is an upgrade but the Jaguars still don’t look as good as they did in the 90s and 00s.

- Teams wearing socks that are the same color as the pants.  Mono-white has become a problem in recent years.

- Leotard look is still a problem (looking at you Saints, Ravens).

- 49ers horrific all-black monochrome look.  Talk about BFBS!

- Coaches wearing black when it isn’t a major color.  Rex Ryan, when he was the Jets head coach, is guilty of this as he always wore a black sweater vest under a white shirt and never wore green. 

NHL

- Islanders 2011 BFBS jersey

- Lightning rebrand.  Okay, this isn’t too bad but they look too much like the Maple Leafs.

- Oilers wearing orange as their primary uniform.  Great as an alternate jersey, but this team should always be wearing blue as the primary color.

NBA

- changing from traditional home/away colors for City/Statement/yadda yadda yadda uniforms.  I can’t get used to the Bulls always wearing red at the United Center!  Could the NBA at least do what the NHL did in 2003 and make dark color jerseys the home jersey and white/light color jerseys the away jerseys since many teams insist on wearing alternate jerseys/throwbacks.

- many team wearing colors that are not part of their color scheme (throwbacks are exempt) in their city/statement uniforms.  Many of them are ugly as a result.

- Clippers rebrand.  They needed to refresh their uniforms anyway and put that slimeball Donald Sterling and the Lakers-ripoff logo they had for years in the past.  But this look is so poorly executed excited from BFBS on the uniforms to an ugly logo.  Make the city or statement jersey (the light blue/brunt orange throwback they had for one season) the basis for a new look and start from there.

- Sleeves on the Uniforms.  Enough said.

- Lazy “Latin” based uniforms still continue where the team puts “LOS” in front of their name and doesn’t properly translate their name to Spanish.  It should be “LOS SOLS” not “LOS SUNS”. 

- BFBS (looking at you Lakers, Clippers, Hornets, Bucks, Cavaliers, etc)

- Teams wearing specialty uniforms during the playoffs.  See game 7 NBA finals of Cavaliers/Warriors from 2016.

- Hawks adding volt instead of yellow (gold) in their rebrand.

Overall

- Ads on the jerseys being more prevalent

- BFBS for some teams

- Increase of Roundel logos

On 1/10/2020 at 11:36 PM, Tygers09 said:

Just added comment about having black when its not in a team's color scheme, I just watched a clip of Minnesota Viking's head coach Mike Zimmer's press conference. And he was wearing a black cap with the Viking logo on it. Could you just wear a purple cap please??

Screw personal preference, right? I mean c’mon, it’s just a hat.

NHL

The Good:

• The general return to brighter colors in certain clubs, especially in the latter half of this decade, has been a welcome change. Pittsburgh just looks better in athletic gold as opposed to Vegas gold, as an example.
  • Vancouver has perfected their brand by the end of this decade, in my opinion. Blue+green, the orca, no arched "VANCOUVER", SiR as secondary logo? Simply outstanding. I also love the Flying Skate jersey being used for specific occasions, too; keeps it around without forcing yet another rebrand on the team.
  • The Oilers going back to royal blue and orange instead of navy and copper. While I liked the navy and copper look and it's associated with the team's last Finals run, the Oilers just are a royal blue and orange team. That's the colors of Gretzky's Oilers and their dynasty.
  • The Flames' retros. While they wouldn't be first in line for me as their main set, I love them as alternates; they pop hard and in a much less eye-grating way then their neighbors.
  • The Coyotes' Kachina jerseys coming back. Contrasts my first point on brighter colors, sure... but goddamn, they look so beautiful on the ice with modern cameras. I don't mind the current set as a third, but please, can we get the Kachinas as the primary again? I'd love to see those as the main set, either as is or adapted to the modern color scheme.
  • The Leafs' new logo. I hope it sticks around for longer then the Ballard leaf, because it is timeless to me.
  • The Hurricanes' new away jersey. Regardless of opinion on the text on the jersey's front, it is a massive improvement on the one it replaced. I'd have loved to see the OG set come back, but damn if this one ain't pretty on it's own merits. The incorporation of the flags in the striping is great, it looks awesome on the ice...if it had the primary logo on it, it'd honestly rival the OG set for me for "best Hurricanes white jersey" (though granted, there's not much competition there 😛).
  • The Jets' identity as it stands is great, but I may have become enamored with the concept of taking the current logo and adapting it to the Heritage Classic threads.
  • Whalers Night. Highly controversial when it was revealed? Absolutely. But it's been so much more then just wearing the jerseys, and it really is the closest we may ever get to having the Hartford Whalers in the NHL again. The Whalers-themed openings, the use of Brass Bonanza for the goal song...it's a loving tribute to a team that was unfairly torn away and it shows that the Hurricanes have pride in that heritage.
  • The event jerseys (your SS, WC, HC, etc.) for this decade have been really consistently good. The ones in the 2020's so far are...uh...interesting? We have two beautiful WC threads, one thoroughly mediocre SS thread and one SS thread that just makes me go "why" whenever I see it.

The Bad:

• The general trend of removing hem stripes. This ain't baseball, hem stripes are a thing you need in a hockey jersey. They look like they're wearing pajamas without hem stripes.
  • Tampa Bay's current branding. Just...all of it. It's much too oversimplified and it removes the colors that really made Tampa....well, Tampa. No black? No silver? Stop trying to be Detroit ala Toronto, you're a 1992 expansion team, not a 1902 original franchise. Embrace the blue/black/white combo. You won a damn Cup in those colors!
  • The Oilers' current home jersey. The royal blue dark jersey is what people associate with the dynasty, just use those as your home! I get the homage to the WHA, but it'd have been better as a third, not the main dark jersey. You look like radioactive carrots.
  • The Flames' current set. C'mon, the '04 sets were perfect! You could've fixed this whole mess when you switched to Adidas and yet you kept it the same!
  • San Jose's current set. They had a great set recently and completely butchered it. Here's a tip, San Jose; hem. stripes. I also wouldn't mind a return to the original teal shade. Lump the Devils in here, too, it's the same problem.
  • Colorado not embracing the fauxback Rockies logo. This one's petty, I'll fully admit that much; but it's just a beautiful logo that perfectly combines the Rockies and Avs, and it sucks that it likely isn't going to end up as the primary because of all the Cups won in the current logo. Just the way it goes sometimes, I guess.
  • Florida's rebrand. It doesn't fall into "awful", or even "bad", it's generally really quite solid...but I would've replaced the chest stripe with a hem stripe and used the updated leaping panther as the primary. Some added blue on the jersey wouldn't have hurt, either, but I'm fine without that. The shield logo just isn't my cup of tea. It's a good rebrand with some key flaws.
  • LA's rebrand just doesn't work for me. The Kings look perfect in purple. I get that Gretzky wore the black/silver/white, but I think it's just a bit too basic for the modern league's brighter, more colorful aesthetic; the jersey itself also isn't the greatest. The logo isn't great, either; it should've just been the crown instead of the banner. It likely won't change since, y'know, Cups...but I don't much like it.

BEST

WORST

• NY Jets 2019
  • Tennessee Titans 2018
  • Miami Dolphins 2013
  • Jacksonville Jaguars 2013
  • Cleveland Browns 2015
  • Los Angeles Clippers 2015
  • All NBA sleeved jerseys
  • Any and all ads on uniforms, but primarily the NBA's sacrilege

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Bad: 

- Alternate overload in NCAA football

- Alternate overload in the NBA

- Uniform ads in the NBA

Good:

- Soccer uniforms are sleek, cool, and uniquely designed.  I think we're in a golden age for soccer uniforms

- The Blue Jays had arguably the best uniform upgrade of all time

-  The death of most stupid piping in the NHL.  

90758391980.gif

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, IceCap said:

The Blue Jays' updated classics. I can't express how good it felt to see my all-time favourite sports team return to their look.

This was me with the Leafs, as well. The Ballard leaf was never a good logo, and it didn't help that it was mostly associated with garbage teams. Going back to the classic leaf in 2016 was definitely the right call; hell, I honestly wouldn't mind the team just slapping the current logo on the 60's uniforms and just using that as their primary identity.

Least Favorites

- Sleeved Jerseys (Just no. I get they were trying to make jerseys to make big people feel better about wearing a jersey but, as someone who is pudgy I got no problem just wearing a T-shirt under my jersey)

- BFBS ( this isn't the 90s anymore)

- Increased attempts at making new uniforms "modern" ( all it does is just make your uniform incredibly dated in a few years time. I am looking at you Browns and Buccaneers)

- Color Rush ( some were dope like Minnesota's and the Patriots' but, the rest were trash)

Favorite

- Updates of classic looks ( thank you Vikings, Blue Jays and Oilers. This is how you make new uniforms.)

On 3/2/2020 at 7:44 AM, Ridleylash said:

This was me with the Leafs, as well. The Ballard leaf was never a good logo, and it didn't help that it was mostly associated with garbage teams. Going back to the classic leaf in 2016 was definitely the right call; hell, I honestly wouldn't mind the team just slapping the current logo on the 60's uniforms and just using that as their primary identity.

I still would call the  new look a downgrade.

Logowise, it is an upgrade for sure. But killing off the traditional socks was awful, and the thick stripe also not a good look. My ideal would be to take the 2015-2016 jerseys, slap the new logo on it and call it a day. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

• 3 months later...

I have 2 least-favourites.

-The templating of international tournaments.

We've had a few winter Olympics where the national hockey uniforms just looked like variations of each other.

In an international tourney, I want to see a diversity in styles, suppliers, etc.

- Leotard football unis. I cant stand the 1-colour waist-to-foot style.

I want contrasting, or striped socks to break things up.

I want line-men to look more like clydesdales, rather than freakin' yoga instructors.

Archived