What would be a bigger deal? Clippers title or Browns title?

Would Leonard leading the Clippers to a title be more than, less than or equally as impressive as someone (Brady or someone else) leading a Cleveland to a Super Bowl win?

A Browns championship would be the bigger headline, since the NFL is just a bigger deal than the NBA in general.

A Clippers championship would be the bigger accomplishment. At least the Browns have their old history of championships with Otto Graham and Jim Brown. The Clippers have the worst history of any long-running pro sports franchise.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

A Browns title would be the biggest of any of the American sports teams, especially now that the Red Sox and Cubs have won. The Bills are also long-suffering, but even their record of futility isn't as bad as the Browns. And, weirdly, the Lions have also been trash but just don't quite strike the national consciousness the same way the Browns do.

So it's the Browns, followed by the Indians, maybe the Bills and then the Lions as far as long-suffering title droughts go. The Clippers are in the same place as the Sacramento Kings, the Texas Rangers, and the Seattle Mariners -- it would be interesting to see them win a title, but it wouldn't be the same catharsis as the big ones. Plus Kawhi is a snake and no one likes snakes (unless they move to Seattle).

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

10 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

So it's the Browns, followed by the Indians, maybe the Bills and then the Lions as far as long-suffering title droughts go.

The Clippers are in the same place as the Sacramento Kings, the Texas Rangers, and the Seattle Mariners -- it would be interesting to see them win a title, but it wouldn't be the same catharsis as the big ones.

I’d drop Cleveland’s MLB team to the lower tier and put the Vikings in the upper tier. The Vikings have such a balance of success and futility in their history, not like the mostly-mediocre and very forgettable Cleveland club.

It's the Browns. Easily. The Clippers have spent most of their history with their owner not caring whether his team won or not while sharing a city (and building) with one of the most successful franchises in the sport.

1 minute ago, Red Wolf said:

It's the Browns. Easily. The Clippers have spent most of their history with their owner not caring whether his team won or not while sharing a city (and building) with one of the most successful franchises in the sport.

That's a good point, actually. For all of their futility, the Browns have at least tried to win. The Clippers -- up until Ballmer -- mostly were happy to be subsidized by the league and the Lakers without contributing any value of their own.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

9 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

You could say the same about the Browns at this point, even down to how they share a state with Ohio State football.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

There might be a bigger question here...which title-less / title drought team winning a title would be the biggest deal?  The Red Sox, and then the Cubs, are the two biggest of these I can remember in a long time.  What other team(s) would have that kind of impact?  The Knicks (because of a large drought in a big market)?  Browns (because of the long history but primarily futility in the Super Bowl era)? Vikings (improbable statistics regarding lots of playoff appearances and no titles)? Indians (longest current MLB drought)? Leafs (longest O6 drought)? AZ Cardinals (similar history to Browns, albeit in three cities)? Clippers (because they're the Clippers)? The Bills (0-4, suffering city)?

Obviously, I'm biased toward my three title-less teams. And I think the Vikings have a compelling argument.  But among neutral teams, I tend to think I'd be most drawn in by the Browns.  Lunch-pail, rust-belt town that briefly lost its long-moribund franchise, gets it back even more futile than ever (meanwhile the Ravens, a technically unrelated franchise, have been relevant since day 1 and has a couple titles under their belt).  I don't know if anyone can top the Cubs and Red Sox for anticipated/exiting drought busts.  But to me the Browns come the closest.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Browns, and it's not even close, mostly because of the feeling that their talented team left for Baltimore just to get a futile expansion franchise. Lions and Bills would probably be the next biggest deal - especially with the narrative of declining, blue collar cities rallying around their team - and the fact that the Bills have been there, but not done that. 

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

Archived