2020 NFL Season

PittsburghSucks

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

McVay has two years with Matt Stafford to  get back to the Super Bowl and win it all. Don’t get me wrong, I’m excited for this move. I believe Stafford has what it takes to help bring a trophy to LA.

Yes, the George Halas trophy...

I saw, I came, I left.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, DEAD! said:

But they really need to make the Super Bowl to justify this deal. In fact, I just want to see Stafford win a playoff game first. 

Incorrect.  They need to win the Super Bowl.  They've already made it with Goff.  When you make a deal like this, you need to win the Super Bowl or fire / execute everyone.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well, I guess I was wrong. I've been telling every Lions fan I know that they needed to dial back their expectations. 

I don't get it. Stafford is not a bad quarterback, by any means, but... what? He's got a ton of mileage on him.

In the past couple seasons he's had a back injury, a neck injury, he's never won a playoff game, his record again winning teams makes you cringe, he's good for a half dozen head scratching bad decisions a season. 

Oh, well. I guess that's why I'm not an NFL executive.

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

Sounds like Washington had a better offer on the table, but Detroit whiffed and decided a bad contract was a better option

If WFT was going to offer more than two 1s, a 3, and a player, I would have loved that because it would have wrecked the franchise.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 minutes ago, BBTV said:

If WFT was going to offer more than two 1s, a 3, and a player, I would have loved that because it would have wrecked the franchise.  

The offer was described as “more immediate help”. If I had to guess, it probably would’ve been at least

2021 1st & 2nd Round Picks

2022 1st Round Pick

One or two players

1 minute ago, DNAsports said:

The offer was described as “more immediate help”. If I had to guess, it probably would’ve been at least

2021 1st & 2nd Round Picks

2022 1st Round Pick

One or two players

Not sure what player they could have offered, since the only thing that would make sense for Detroit is a QB, and nobody would want Alex Smith due to age and risk.  If they give up someone good like Mclaurin, that kinda defeats the purpose of bringing in Stafford.  Either way, as an Eagles fan, I would have loved it.

WFT had a good year, all things considered, and they're finally a well-coached team and have some good players, but honestly they're not a Stafford away from really contending.  You can only make a deal like that if you're certain it wins you a Super Bowl (or if the player is young enough to build around, which he's not.)

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

Incorrect.  They need to win the Super Bowl.  They've already made it with Goff.  When you make a deal like this, you need to win the Super Bowl or fire / execute everyone.

Sure, but I just don't think Stafford is THAT QB. 

I saw, I came, I left.

36 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Not sure what player they could have offered, since the only thing that would make sense for Detroit is a QB, and nobody would want Alex Smith due to age and risk.  If they give up someone good like Mclaurin, that kinda defeats the purpose of bringing in Stafford.

Landon Collins. Is he a QB? No, but it dumps off a more manageable salary to Detroit while giving them the opportunity to draft a future QB in this year’s or next year’s 1st round. Collins is 2 years into a 6 yr/$84M contract. Getting outperformed by a 2020 7th round draft pick in Kam Curl. So why would Washington want to keep him around? Collins’ remaining ~$65.5M over the next four seasons would’ve been a softer salary cap blow than Goff’s $104.3M still due to him over the next four seasons. Stafford $62M 3 years

My math and understanding of contracts might just be off here, but 

The actual trade-

Stafford- $62M (3 years)

————

Goff- $104.3M (4 years)

———————

Detroit- +$42.3M in cap hit over 4 years

A potential Washington trade-

Collins- $65.5M (4 years)

————

Stafford- $62M (3 years)

———————

Detroit- +$3.5M in cap hit over 4 years

That’s not the best way to measure it though. The better measure is how much it costs teams in cash and dead money to part with the players after one, two, or three seasons. That’s a tough metric for the average fan to figure out, but usually the media guys have that covered. 

28 minutes ago, BBTV said:

That’s not the best way to measure it though. The better measure is how much it costs teams in cash and dead money to part with the players after one, two, or three seasons. That’s a tough metric for the average fan to figure out, but usually the media guys have that covered. 

According to this article,

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.freep.com/amp/4329399001

Detroit gets a $17.8M dead cap hit in 2021

LA gets a $22.2M dead cap hit in 2021

Those are just the cap hits resulting from the trade - not the cap hits if either team cuts their QB after 1, 2, or more seasons.  It does state in there that Goff can be cut for free after '22, but my guess is that unless the Lions really feel like he's their "guy" moving forward, he'd be cut after '21 and they'd just absorb the (unspecified) one-year cap hit and move forward with a QB they draft.  It's clear that they only took Goff (and his contract) on to sweeten the pot for the Rams and probably get another pick for them (that's probably where the 3 came in).  Any team that could have absorbed Stafford's contract without shedding one of their own probably wouldn't have offered as much.

2 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Huh. Maybe the same package the Lions got and an additional first rounder? I would have strongly considered it. Especially since it continues to feel like Aaron Rodgers hates the Packers organization year after year.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

6 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Huh. Maybe the same package the Lions got and an additional first rounder? I would have strongly considered it. Especially since it continues to feel like Aaron Rodgers hates the Packers organization year after year.

Which is why I hope every team passes on trading for him so he can rot in his own personal hell.

Archived