2020 NFL Season

PittsburghSucks

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chiefs linebacking corps is looking to be the weakest spot on the team. If someone were to say do a bunch of medium-ranged passes, that might slow down the game, keep Mahomes off the field while keeping your team in control of the game. As long as it is possible to anyway. As someone who remembers John Elway tormenting my team growing up by coming back from almost any deficit, it's nice to do the same to everyone else. 

Predictions

1 - the cap isn't significantly different from this year

2 - if a game is added, it will be AFC vs. NFC, same divisional finishes against each other, and all hosted by one conference one year, and the other conference the next.

It's where I sit.

In leagues with caps, salaries should be based on either percentages, or have some sort of provision that adjusts for when the cap decreases since the guy that signed his big contract last year is now accounting for way more cap space than anticipated, and the other players will suffer as a result.  It's unlikely that the cap will ever go down again, and I'm not sure if it ever has in the past, but there needs to be some kind of 'tax' on the guys eating up the most cap space, otherwise could be a situation where lots of guys have to take min deals or play on one-year contracts, which I'm sure the union wouldn't love.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

I don't like it one bit. Is the 17th game neutral-site? Do half the teams get more home games than the other half? How is that fair?

I’d rather them just go with an 18 game season. 2 bye weeks per team OR a league wide mid-season break. Cut down preseason by 1-2 games to account for the added regular season games.

Yeah, 18 games and 2 fewer preseason games and 2 byes. It's the best for everyone if we have to have more.

17 is a dumb number and unless some place like Louisville or London or Mexico City are hosting all those 17th games, there's no way it can be fair.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

46 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

17 is a dumb number and unless some place like Louisville or London or Mexico City are hosting all those 17th games, there's no way it can be fair.

... Little Rock

But in reality, I like the idea of having nearby teams in opposite conferences (or even divisions) face off every year, sort of like SEC-ACC rivalries. Relocation ruins some of this (49ers-Raiders is no longer interesting), and some places simply don't have an obvious geographic rival, like the Broncos or Seahawks. I guess it would be like when MLS does RIVALRY WEEK (brought to you by Heineken) and SKC and Minnesota get shoved together because there aren't any better options. But having a Cowboys-Texans, Ravens-WFT, Buccaneers-Dolphins, etc. game every year could be fun.

43 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

... Little Rock

But in reality, I like the idea of having nearby teams in opposite conferences (or even divisions) face off every year, sort of like SEC-ACC rivalries. Relocation ruins some of this (49ers-Raiders is no longer interesting), and some places simply don't have an obvious geographic rival, like the Broncos or Seahawks. I guess it would be like when MLS does RIVALRY WEEK (brought to you by Heineken) and SKC and Minnesota get shoved together because there aren't any better options. But having a Cowboys-Texans, Ravens-WFT, Buccaneers-Dolphins, etc. game every year could be fun.

When I was a kid, I didn't understand why Giants/Jets wasn't a bigger rivalry. I think forcing it might be a good way to do that.

Bummer to assigned the forced rival of the Belichick-era Pats then, or the current Chiefs.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Yeah, 18 games and 2 fewer preseason games and 2 byes. It's the best for everyone if we have to have more.

They’ll most likely make it a placement game with the other conference, AFC teams host even years, NFC hosts odd years, they’d rotate which division plays which so there’s no overlap with the regular inter conference rotation. How is that unfair? Everyone would have 9 home games every other year, owners of teams that actually sell out their games want that 9th home game. 

2 minutes ago, Luigi74 said:

They’ll most likely make it a placement game with the other conference, AFC teams host even years, NFC hosts odd years, they’d rotate which division plays which so there’s no overlap with the regular inter conference rotation. How is that unfair? Everyone would have 9 home games every other year, owners of teams that actually sell out their games want that 9th home game. 

Because "every other year" isn't fair.

Does Jacksonville play 7 games in Jacksonville, one in London, and then nine on the road? What the hell kind of schedule is that?

6 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

they're former division rivals and faced each other in a super bowl so you could put them together pretty easily

I don't want to think about that Super Bowl, if you don't mind. But yeah, two teams that don't have obvious rivals being smushed together probably makes sense. Once upon a time Chiefs vs. Rams would have been the thing to do but then the Rams moved back to LA as God intended.

2 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Bummer to assigned the forced rival of the Belichick-era Pats then, or the current Chiefs.

It's sort of like being Georgia Tech and having to face Georgia every year except that there's not a massive gap due to institutional reasons like in college football. The Jets aren't incompetent because the Giants have more resources. It's just that the people managing the Jets are dummies.

Pro sports in the US haven't really done a good job with local rivalries in a lot of cases. Partially because of the systems MLB and the NFL use, where local rivalries are discouraged. Historically, a Mets fan had no reason to hate the Yankees because they never played in games that meant anything.

Just now, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Because "every other year" isn't fair.

Does Jacksonville play 7 games in Jacksonville, one in London, and then nine on the road? What the hell kind of schedule is that?

One their owner put them in because he wants to be the owner of the London Jaguars not the Jacksonville Jaguars. 

I dislike adding more games because it reduces the importance of division games even more.

Pre-2002, division games were 50% of your schedule (8/16).

2002-2020, division games are only 38% of your schedule (6/16).

In 2021, division games will be only 35% of your schedule (6/17.)

Kinda defeats the point of divisions if you could lose all your division games and still have a reasonable chance of winning it.

You're also now playing only 12/17 (70%) of your games in conference.

I'd rather teams play three games against each of their division rivals than 11 non-division games.  Short of that, just go by division record for the division title, conference record for wild cards, and interconference record for... well, nothing.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived