2020 NFL Season

PittsburghSucks

46 minutes ago, BBTV said:

You know who the worst teams are by everyone's 12th game - especially by their 14th game.  Stopping it right there doesn't change who's fans get to see the 'fruit of their suffering', nor wiill it stop tanking (though as we've discussed, it doesn't happen much in the NFL.)

But as a FAN, I want to always root for my team to win, and I simply can't now.  I should never be disappointed by a victory, but that's the situation I'm currently in.  If the draft order was wrapped up last week, then I can root hard for my team to win just like usual.  Wouldn't that benefit all fans?

You are not all fans, though. Many fans (IMO) can root for their team to win, even when bad, and when winning negatively affects draft prospects.

It's where I sit.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BBTV said:

You know who the worst teams are by everyone's 12th game - especially by their 14th game.  Stopping it right there doesn't change who's fans get to see the 'fruit of their suffering', nor wiill it stop tanking (though as we've discussed, it doesn't happen much in the NFL.)

But as a FAN, I want to always root for my team to win, and I simply can't now.  I should never be disappointed by a victory, but that's the situation I'm currently in.  If the draft order was wrapped up last week, then I can root hard for my team to win just like usual.  Wouldn't that benefit all fans?

No because then the fans of teams at the bottom of the standings would still be forced to deal with the same moral quandary of rooting against their team, it would just happen a couple weeks earlier. 

"But then they'd get to really pull for their team in the last two games". Tough noogies and deal with it because it's important that every regular season game is played with the same amount of standings weight. Example Scenario: Let's pretend your system is in place and the Bengals are in the playoff hunt. Our game against the Texans yesterday has different stakes than when our divisional rivals played the Texans. Sure, results and injuries will change the stakes of individual games relative to when your rivals played them and it'll never be 100% fair, but at least those circumstances are born out of the results of the season and not a predetermined rule. 

I've been a fan of a bad football team more years than they've been good so I have experience with this. I've rooted against the Cincinnati Bengals exactly one game in my entire life (last year against Miami when much to my horror they erased a 16 point deficit in the final 2 minutes.) That was only because I knew we'd get the #1 pick and the franchise changing QB if they lost. Special circumstance. If the draft order was set after the results of Week 14 then I would've rooted for the Bengals' opponent in Week 13 or whatever. Not that I have any control over the outcome, it just feels weird and gross to root against your team in a game that will shake up whether you draft sixth or seventh. At that point you don't know what difference it's making. It was really clear last year and even then I didn't like the feeling at all. 

Sometimes you're just gonna have to decide if it's better to win or lose and how you watch those games is different from how you watch Week 1. Just seems like trying to solve a non-existent problem. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

NFL tanking is kind of difficult conceptually to execute because there are so few games.  There are always players on bottom-feeder teams who are desperate to get notable film, reach contract bonus milestones, and/or otherwise open doors for themselves in their careers.  Those snaps are precious, and if you're a guy in a contract year playing for a crummy squad, you want to stand out at all costs, and if it costs your team a franchise QB, not your problem.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

12 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

And nothing of value was lost. 

I think the team would have been better off to at least keep him through the end of the year. Has he earned a starting spot? I'd say no. This may say that they expect Smith to start on Sunday night. otherwise why make this call? I also think if he goes somewhere that allows him to sit back and learn, he can be a decent NFL QB. Right now he's looking like Ryan Leaf. The team will still be eating his salary in the salary cap. With all of the insanity that's starting to come out from the organization's off the field issues, this just adds to showing how dysfunctional that team is. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

17 hours ago, rams80 said:

I just assume Jared Goff actively tries to avoid Aaron Donald at the Rams facilities at this point and they don't have full team scrimmages because I have no idea how Donald hasn't just flat out murdered Goff at this point otherwise.

Taking aside the turnover issues the absolutely infuriating thing with Goff is how he can have nothing but daylight in front of him, and they can even roll out a red carpet down the sideline for him with security and a velvet rope and he'd still hesitate five seconds before trying to run and even then he'd stop every two yards to pump fake instead of tucking the ball and moving faster than a power walk.  Combine that with last week's thirty-yard attempts to convert 3rd and 4th and short and I'm at an absolute loss.

VmWIn6B.png

49 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think the team would have been better off to at least keep him through the end of the year. Has he earned a starting spot? I'd say no. This may say that they expect Smith to start on Sunday night. otherwise why make this call? I also think if he goes somewhere that allows him to sit back and learn, he can be a decent NFL QB. Right now he's looking like Ryan Leaf. The team will still be eating his salary in the salary cap. With all of the insanity that's starting to come out from the organization's off the field issues, this just adds to showing how dysfunctional that team is. 

He doesn't want to sit back and learn. He doesn't really seem like he wants to do any work. He doesn't seem all that interested in the football part of being an NFL player.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt last year, but he really has not shown anything promising this year.

spacer.png

23 minutes ago, burgundy said:

He doesn't want to sit back and learn. He doesn't really seem like he wants to do any work. He doesn't seem all that interested in the football part of being an NFL player.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt last year, but he really has not shown anything promising this year.

We've heard that he had been doing that this year, is it a case of getting mixed signals from the staff, and also ownership? With Smith taking snaps this week, it seems the staff couldn't decide who they wanted to play this week. His actions during the game though can't be defended. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

Weren't you like a huge fan of The Process?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So Dwayne Haskins, a first round draft pick, was benched twice in one season in favor of two undrafted quarterbacks, Kyle Allen & Taylor Heinicke. He also couldn’t even definitively beat out Case Keenum, another undrafted QB, for the starting role last season.

Side Note- Aside from Alex Smith (1st Round), the other Quarterback on this roster, Steven Montez, also went undrafted.

5 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

We've heard that he had been doing that this year, is it a case of getting mixed signals from the staff, and also ownership? With Smith taking snaps this week, it seems the staff couldn't decide who they wanted to play this week. His actions during the game though can't be defended. 

I didn’t watch the game, what did he do? I only know about the picture with strippers which I thought was his second to last straw, with the last being playing like dog shot yesterday.

2 minutes ago, dont care said:

I didn’t watch the game, what did he do? I only know about the picture with strippers which I thought was his second to last straw, with the last being playing like dog shot yesterday.

He either pretended to sleep, or was falling asleep on the bench.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

He either pretended to sleep, or was falling asleep on the bench.

Wait, that happened again? Or what was the other thing he did on the bench last season, like a selfie or something?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

5 hours ago, rams80 said:

Weren't you like a huge fan of The Process?

More a 'believer' than a fan, mostly because I"m just not that much of a basketball fan to begin with.

I'm going to be very upset if the Eagles win against WFT, and if they weren't already playing all the rookies, I'd hope that they did, even though the game still has real implications for two other teams. I'd wager that the overwhelming majority of Eagles fans want them to lose - I think it's actually less 'patriotic' to want them to win in this case.

Maybe my draft plan doesn't fix it, but I would say that the draft system is broken (really, they're probably all broken, I just really only care about the NFL draft.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Wait, that happened again? Or what was the other thing he did on the bench last season, like a selfie or something?

It was the Lions game last season. I was at that game. Washington was about to close out the game and the previous coaching staff couldn’t find Haskins anywhere so they sent Keenum out to kneel on the last play. Turns out Haskins was taking selfies with fans.

Yesterday he was shown on live tv, what appeared to be, sleeping on the bench.

But he's a big shot and got Joe Theisman to unretire the number.  He deserves to fail for having the chutzpah to do that.  Actually, the fitting finish would be for him to have gotten the compound fracture, not Prescott.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

13 minutes ago, BBTV said:

But he's a big shot and got Joe Theisman to unretire the number.  He deserves to fail for having the chutzpah to do that.  Actually, the fitting finish would be for him to have gotten the compound fracture, not Prescott.

1. 7, just like most numbers in Washington, aren’t actually retired, instead deemed unusable. The only two numbers actually retired are 33 & 49.

2. There’s literally no reason to wish bodily harm on someone. However, it doesn’t surprise me that you said this considering you said the same thing towards Robert Griffin III simply because he uses Roman numerals on his jersey nameplate.

3 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

1. 7, just like most numbers in Washington, aren’t actually retired, instead deemed unusable. The only two numbers actually retired are 33 & 49.

2. There’s literally no reason to wish bodily harm on someone. However, it doesn’t surprise me that you said this considering you said the same thing towards Robert Griffin III simply because he uses Roman numerals on his jersey nameplate.

I'm not wishing bodily harm on anyone, just saying that it would have been more poetic if it was him rather than Dak.  Even if you want to twist it so it seems that I am wishing it on him, that would mean that I'm wishing it off of Dak, so it nets out and Prescott leads the Cowboys to the division title.  Either way, the same amount of people are hurt.

And I believe in comeuppance.  Is a compound fracture comeuppance for arrogantly asking to wear an "unusable" number?  That might be a little extreme, but it also might not be.

Archived