North American Pro Soccer 2021

Brian in Boston

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/31/2021 at 11:29 AM, GDAWG said:

Kansas City NWSL Team has a name:

I actually like the name, but I hoped there would be more to the badge. Just adding the current to the stand in badge would have been better than the final choice. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Pat Onstad's first move as Houston GM is apparently firing Tab Ramos as coach. Feels like yesterday people thought Ramos should be a USMNT coach, but also, not like he's been given a whole lot to work with. I hope the new ownership at Houston turns that team around; actual investment in the squad for the first time ever will go a lot further than replacing the coach.

2022 MLS season key dates:
Season start: Feb. 26
Decision Day: Oct. 9
MLS Cup: Nov. 5

Schedule format:
All teams will play a 34-game regular season – 17 home games and 17 away games
All teams will face each of their conference opponents twice and play eight non-conference opponents once
The MLS regular season schedule will consist of all weekend matches with the exception of five, or fewer, midweek matches – targeting one each in May, June and July, and two in August.
The midweek match dates for each team will not be scheduled in consecutive weeks. MLS will seek to avoid scheduling matches during the FIFA international windows in March, June or September – only at a team’s request will MLS consider scheduling a match during the March window, or during the second weekend of the June double window

Conference alignment:
Both the Eastern and Western Conferences will have 14 teams
Charlotte FC will compete in the Eastern Conference as they join MLS in 2022
Nashville SC will move to the Western Conference 

Today in Cincinnati, the FCC front office gave strict orders to confiscate any wooden spoons being brought into the stadium, but a really big spoon made it in, the Anthony Precourt Memorial Wooden Spoon.

spacer.png

A member of the front office staff was also seen running away from getting his picture taken with the trophy.

spacer.png

Signature intentionally left blank

1 hour ago, Digby said:

Holy crap, the list of teams that missed the playoffs in the Western Conference can be summarized as California and Texas. AND how about Colorado sneaking away with the conference title?

Incredible finish. The Sounders were running away with the conference, but after the Concacaf loss (or was it a different competition?) the wheels kind of fell off. Tie after tie after tie.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

10 hours ago, Digby said:

Holy crap, the list of teams that missed the playoffs in the Western Conference can be summarized as California and Texas. AND how about Colorado sneaking away with the conference title?

This puts a smile on my face.

There are a lot of pretty compelling matchups here. Some real toss-ups in play especially in the East's round one. The international break immediately coming in isn't great but I get why it had to happen this year; the further break after that remains a real sore point with me. Colorado and New England won't play til Thanksgiving or days after, and that feels insane. 

FDooP47WUAkBVS7?format=jpg&name=large 

Nashville has had a good run in MLS and I feel like that goes a little underreported.

I saw on Twitter last night that not only has Seattle never missed the MLS playoffs (which everyone knows), they also have never finished outside of the top 4. That's wild.

That said, this is New England's title to lose.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Nashville has had a good run in MLS and I feel like that goes a little underreported.

I think much like New England, they're a consistently good but rarely jaw-dropping-dominant team. I guess even moreso like that with all the draws. Combine that with not being a glory market and not having superstar names. It's been a real substance-over-style season in MLS seems like, with so many glory teams faltering and lots of bad stadiums and boring-but-excellent roster constructions leading the way.

38 minutes ago, Digby said:

Update: New England are the lucky #1 seed with a 23 day layoff, and Colorado are the lucky #1 seed with slightly less of a layoff but get to play to the Thanksgiving Day crowd. Welp!

3+ weeks is absurd, but I'm assuming that's a by-product of international schedule.

I love the MLS. It's so goofy.

The playoffs and MLS Cup had been 3 or 4 weeks earlier for a time and I remember they were trying to avoid the disruption of the November international break, before obviously last year Covid delayed things, and this year had that PLUS the near-work stoppage pushed this season to a way late start. Of course the first-round bye portion of the delay, of dubious competitive utility to boot, is purely MLS's fault. 

At least they've already assured us of next year's dates, even if World Cup is forcing their hand. 

Regardless there's a tension here between the TV needs and the live needs... this year it's unfortunate that your #1 seeds are two teams that could really use this as an attendance boost, but one gets stuck playing on the first Thanksgiving after Covid canceled it last year, the other gets to play on a Tuesday night at the notoriously difficult-to-access-on-weekdays nowheresville stadium. 

On 11/8/2021 at 1:56 PM, Corvus said:

Never in a million years did I think the Caps would turn around their season like this.  Also:

If that Twitter person is that upset of using a single table format, then their head would've exploded if MLS still had three divisions as their league structure.

1 hour ago, BryanSmalls said:

If that Twitter person is that upset of using a single table format, then their head would've exploded if MLS still had three divisions as their league structure.

It's hyperbole from him. He's a big fan of soccer overall, but he stumps a lot for MLS. 

https://en.as.com/en/2021/11/08/soccer/1636337882_761913.html

Bob Bradley is reported to be the new head coach at Toronto FC. I think he's got better players at LAFC but he's probably worn out his welcome. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived