North American Pro Soccer 2021

Brian in Boston

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Bob Bradley is reported to be the new head coach at Toronto FC. I think he's got better players at LAFC but he's probably worn out his welcome. 

I’d take the news with a grain of salt. I hear the rumour annually sine Michael came here to Toronto. 

Some news from the CPL; they are expanding to Vancouver in 2023. Seems silly to me to go right into an MLS market but we’ll see

https://canpl.ca/vancouver2023

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Detroit City FC, the strongest and most supported club of the laughingstock that is NISA, is joining USL Championship next season. This marks the third club (Miami and Oakland) to leave NISA for the USL. NISA hasnt been paying their referees or trophy company recently. Detroit recently won the fall season and had to celebrate by using the trophy they won for winning the spring season. NISA appears butthurt over them leaving in the press release they issued.

spacer.png

Signature intentionally left blank

10 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

Detroit City FC, the strongest and most supported club of the laughingstock that is NISA, is joining USL Championship next season. This marks the third club (Miami and Oakland) to leave NISA for the USL. NISA hasnt been paying their referees or trophy company recently. Detroit recently won the fall season and had to celebrate by using the trophy they won for winning the spring season. NISA appears butthurt over them leaving in the press release they issued.

spacer.png

NISA can go bite a big one! 

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2021/11/09/detroit-city-announces-usl-move-nisa-takes-shots-at-departing-champs/

The league also took Detroit to task for joining a “closed system,” as USL like all American professional leagues currently does not implement promotion and relegation. NISA has said it plans to introduce pro/rel when the league reaches an unspecified number of teams.

“It is surprising that Detroit City – a historically stalwart supporter of the open system – has chosen ‘franchise’ over ‘club;’ ‘closed’ over ‘open.’ NISA has many great storylines to carry us into 2022 and beyond. Those are our focus as we continue to champion independent American soccer.”

They don't even have pro/rel set to go yet, and pretending like they do is pathetic. As much as I give Austin's investor/owner crap, at least he doesn't pretend he's good enough to run around on the field in matches like has happened in NISA.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 hours ago, BryanSmalls said:

If that Twitter person is that upset of using a single table format, then their head would've exploded if MLS still had three divisions as their league structure.

Pablo is literally a journalist employed by The Athletic to cover MLS. 

Also a high performance car mechanic and photographer. 

2 hours ago, Jer15 said:

I’d take the news with a grain of salt. I hear the rumour annually sine Michael came here to Toronto. 

Some news from the CPL; they are expanding to Vancouver in 2023. Seems silly to me to go right into an MLS market but we’ll see

Expectation is they will not actually be in Vancouver proper (for one thing, there's nowhere to play within the boundaries of City of Vancouver), but might be in Langley or somewhere else in the burbs. 

5 hours ago, Corvus said:

Expectation is they will not actually be in Vancouver proper (for one thing, there's nowhere to play within the boundaries of City of Vancouver), but might be in Langley or somewhere else in the burbs. 

Has that been confirmed? I missed that news. Thanks for letting me know. 

I assumed they wouldn’t play at BC Place so I was wondering where they would end up. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

On 11/10/2021 at 8:55 PM, Dilbert said:

If I had to guess they will either build their own home somewhere or use Swangard Stadium (home of the Whitecaps prior to USL) or Thunderbird Stadium (home of UBC)

Sadly, I’ve never been to Swanguard but I think that would be a great call. I heard great things about that set up from friends who are whitecaps season seat holders

On 11/10/2021 at 12:48 PM, Jer15 said:

CPL has been rumoured to be coming into Montréal since the beginning, and is in the GTA as well. I see no real reason not to come into the MLS markets, it's a different level with a different objective. Without a team to support I'm only a casual CPL fan, but the teams have acquitted themselves well enough in CONCACAF competition and in the Voyageurs Cup, and I'd probably go see a team in the area if they were cheap enough/doing something unique.

4 hours ago, alexandre said:

CPL has been rumoured to be coming into Montréal since the beginning, and is in the GTA as well. I see no real reason not to come into the MLS markets, it's a different level with a different objective. Without a team to support I'm only a casual CPL fan, but the teams have acquitted themselves well enough in CONCACAF competition and in the Voyageurs Cup, and I'd probably go see a team in the area if they were cheap enough/doing something unique.

13 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

I dont see why the CPL couldnt go into an MLS market. I mean  they already have York in the league which is part of Toronto and Hamilton is not far away as they are in the Golden Horseshoe area

As someone who has lived in Toronto and Hamilton….Hamilton is a completely different thing. Trust me.  

logistically it’s close but it’s not Toronto.  Don’t tell a born and raised Hamiltonian that they are part of the Toronto region. 

I'm well aware about York though that’s hardly in Toronto, that’s on the northern most tip of the city and is aimed at Vaughan. A city where there is a lot of italian heritage and they’re aiming at that.

also I’m aware of the Montreal rumours (though one of the rumours for Montreal was that the team would be owned by Joey Saputo…and yes I know another was Alex Bunburybut I didn’t think that would ever happen). 

I didn’t mean to say they shouldn’t. Im saying they’ve kind of gone close to but not exactly in the MLS markets yet. I figured that would continue to be the footprint that’s all. 

With the US mens national team winning tonights World Cup qualifier against Mexico tonight in Cincinnati, the men and women national teams combined now have more wins at TQL Stadium (2) than FC Cincinnati (1)

5 hours ago, Jer15 said:

As someone who has lived in Toronto and Hamilton….Hamilton is a completely different thing. Trust me.  

logistically it’s close but it’s not Toronto.  Don’t tell a born and raised Hamiltonian that they are part of the Toronto region.

You wanna tell that to the NLL Toronto Rock?

10 hours ago, Dilbert said:

You wanna tell that to the NLL Toronto Rock?

I actually really do want to. Yes. As a big time Rock fan I’m scared that their move to Hamilton is going to be bad for them. But that’s for the lacrosse thread. 

3 hours ago, Jer15 said:

I actually really do want to. Yes. As a big time Rock fan I’m scared that their move to Hamilton is going to be bad for them. But that’s for the lacrosse thread. 

They should have reverted back to the "Ontario Raiders"

I saw, I came, I left.

1 hour ago, DEAD! said:

They should have reverted back to the "Ontario Raiders"

Lol. Well played

On 11/10/2021 at 5:55 PM, Dilbert said:

If I had to guess they will either build their own home somewhere or use Swangard Stadium (home of the Whitecaps prior to USL) or Thunderbird Stadium (home of UBC)

Couldn't imagine them building a stadium. That would be a shocker.  I've seen pre-MLS Vancouver Whitecaps at Swangard and Whitecaps FC II at Thunderbird Stadium.  There is no choice in my mind.  This team needs to be playing at Swangard rather than Thunderbird Stadium for many reasons.

Archived