North American Pro Soccer 2021

Brian in Boston

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Sport said:

I once gave my seat at The Precinct bar to Jeff Berding (not to brag). Jeff Berding did an admirable job getting the club off the ground and overseeing the run to MLS. Where they are now in MLS in a beautiful new stadium exceeds anyone's wildest dreams from when the USL team was announced in late 2015, but how long can he coast off of that? He clearly doesn't know what he's doing in regards to fielding a team that, forget MLS cup contention, can even contend for the playoffs. They've never been close to the playoffs and winning games consistently is all that matters for getting people to show up to games at this level. Yeah the stadium's cool, but now that I've seen it a few times I'm not gonna pay good money just to walk around it if I only have a 1 in 10 chance of seeing a victory. Patience is gone. 

They've tried a lot of things, but haven't tried hiring soccer guys who know MLS, which seems like it's a different animal entirely to other leagues around the world. It's not just FCC, either. Other teams have tried bringing in non-MLS names and those teams have struggled as well. To FCC and Berding/Lindner's credit their problem is not because they haven't tried to spend money and their training facilities rival Premier League teams, but they need an actual MLS person making the soccer decisions now. They need a coach who knows how to maneuver players in specifically MLS. I do believe if they ever light this candle it could be a top franchise in the league. They have everything you need except good decision makers. 

Berding was successful at the USL level. He did everything he could to promote the team, get them to MLS, get a new stadium. But now that he accomplished those, he has nothing left to promote to get fans.  The novelty of MLS has worn off and the new stadium novelty will be gone before next season. He has done all he can so now its time to move on.

Signature intentionally left blank

I can't think of a lot of coach or FO figures who successfully make the leap from the lower leagues straight to MLS, when these clubs buy-promote themselves; FCC is just the latest example. It took Portland many seasons to figure it out; Vancouver and Montreal still haven't, you might argue. 

It does make Brian Schmetzer's run all the more remarkable as maybe the exception that proves the rule. But he also got to study under Sigi Schmid for 7 years in the big leagues.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Sigi was ultra-successful in Seattle, but he was also ultra-successful with the LA Galaxy and Columbus Crew before then.

I think the greatest predictor of coaching success in MLS is coaching success in North American soccer, if not MLS itself.

In the last ten years, MLS Cup-winning coaches have included Bruce Arena (3x), Peter Vermes, Caleb Porter (2x from 3 Finals), Brian Schmetzer (2x from 4 Finals), Tata Martino, and Greg Vanney (1x from 3 Finals).

Of those, Tata has the most illustrious record and may have won a couple more titles had he stayed in Atlanta, but the rest of those guys are more or less US soccer lifers.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Atlanta were interesting they didn't do the classic MLS thing necessarily...but they got great talent for relatively cheap, and in Martino had the right coach for young Latin American guys whose talent outshined most of MLS. But the point as it relates here is that there was no romanticism to bring your roster, coach or front office up from the lower leagues. There was a blank slate built well, without any minor-league holes to slowly dig out of over the course of years -- and in Tata there was a coach who didn't know the league or build the roster, but was the right fit for the overall identity, unlike the many clubs who think importing one foreign coach or two players with Euro experience will magically plug-and-play all the secrets of a century of global soccer to MLS success.

Didn't Cincy try to get Arena after the WCQ, but New England got him first? Maybe that would have been better, but only if they allowed Arena to not just coach but run the entire operation, the way the Revs have (to obvious success).

Turns out Paul Riley, maybe the most decorated coach in NWSL, has spent years being a huge creep to his own players. Hugest yikes! https://theathletic.com/2857633/2021/09/30/this-guy-has-a-pattern-amid-institutional-failure-former-nwsl-players-accuse-prominent-coach-of-sexual-coercion/

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/58767191

NWSL has called off all games this weekend as they deal with the multiple monsters of their own creation.  Hopefully this doesn't end the league but I know several groups are afraid it could. 

https://www.sounderatheart.com/seattle-reign/2021/9/30/22703543/new-details-farid-benstiti-resignation-ol-reign

https://www.stumptownfooty.com/2021/9/30/22702765/former-thorns-coach-paul-riley-accused-of-sexual-coercion

https://www.thebluetestament.com/2021/10/1/22704526/nwsl-postpones-weekends-games

Yesterday the NWSL Player’s Association issued the league three ultimatums to be completed by 12:00 p.m. EST on Friday, October 1, 2021:

1. NWSL initiate an independent investigation into the allegations published by The Athletic this morning pursuant to the Anti-Harassment Policy for a Safe Work Environment by 12:00 p.m. EST on Friday, October 1, 2021.
  2. Any League or Club Staff who are accused of conduct, no matter when it occurred, that violates the current Anti-Harassment Policy for a Safe Work Environment or any mandated reporter who failed to report the alleged violation be suspended immediately, pending the results of the above referenced investigation, and in any event no later than 12:00 p.m. EST on Friday, October 1, 2021.
  3. NWSL disclose how Paul Riley was hired within the NWSL after departing from another NWSL Club subsequent to an investigation into abusive conduct during the bargaining session scheduled for Friday, October 1, 2021.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I wonder if there was some legal reason that whatever Riley did was bad enough for Portland to fire him but not say the real reason. That’s the best-case scenario and it’s still pretty horrible. 

all these organizations now saying they’ll “investigate” sounds like nonsense but I really would love to hear what Portland told the league office about that, before/while Riley was then getting hired in a new city.

the league just moving a creep coach to a new market and hoping he’ll behave himself in new surroundings and it’ll all go away without confrontation… it’s like the Catholic Church in the 90s here.

1 hour ago, DEAD! said:

We were not even that far removed from the US gymnastics scandal and now I wonder what other organizations have skeletons in their closets?

Florida women's basketball just canned their coach for similar alleged treatment. I know of a couple other women's basketball team that reported coaches for overstepping how they treated players and the schools backed the coaches instead. In both cases almost the entire team quit or transferred out yet they still backed the coaches. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

22 hours ago, SambamOverTime said:

USL1 has officially announced an expansion team located in Lexington, KY!

As a Lexington native who has been wishing for a pro team to set up shop here, I am super excited!!

And already calls for the team to be named Kentucky FC 

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

On 10/2/2021 at 6:53 AM, nickp91 said:

Gavin Wilkinson also knew all about Riley's depredations & yet apparently they were silent when he was hired by another NWSL team after the Thorns cut ties with him This is an absolute moral failure

Wilkinson has been "suspended" from working with the Thorns, but is still in charge of the Timbers. So now he's getting paid to do half the work he was doing before. 

https://www.stumptownfooty.com/2021/10/6/22713741/thorns-players-release-joint-statement

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10014222-portland-thorns-gavin-wilkinson-placed-on-administrative-leave-amid-investigation

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

11 hours ago, Digby said:

I get how these MLS/NWSL joint teams could consolidate certain duties but GM seems like a big one. Thought that job would have too much to do to be able to GM two teams at once! Guess not! 

I believe it's the same in Europe as well, but having a separate person handling each team makes more sense.  It's not like Real Madrid's technical director also handles the basketball and floor hockey signings too.  I also found out today that Real Madrid has an ice hockey team. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived