MLS Impact Rebrand as Club de Foot Montreal

SportsLogos.Net News

MLS Impact Rebrand as Club de Foot Montreal

January 14, 2021 - 16:05 PM

The Montreal Impact of Major League Soccer announced a new name and unveiled a new logo this morning. Now known as Club de Foot Montréal, the team’s new badge features a stylized snowflake in silver within a black circle trimmed in blue. The team’s new name circles the design with

Read More...

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Foot for soccer doesn't make sense in Quebec, French people here don't use it at all and it's way too "France French" for English people. The fact that they took off the "é" in Montreal is pissing off a lot of folks too. 98% of the comments seem really negatives...

1 minute ago, NoE38_Concepts said:

The logo itself it a massive upgrade, but yeah. nobody calls soccer "foot" in Quebec.

The logo without a double dose of Club de Foot Montreal would be alright. What's the point? The reflection of the name in the river?

It is a great logo, for an outdoor winter sports brand. While they needed a badge refresh, this was woefully overthought and missed the mark. A badge with roots in the Quebec flag would have been a better direction. 

13 minutes ago, jp1409 said:

The fact that they took off the "é" in Montreal is pissing off a lot of folks too.

But they didn't.

0zk5cyB.png

jnV4ZD4.png

nDrS31F.jpg

Under the lights where we stand tall
Nobody touches us at all
Showdown, shootout
Spread fear within, without
I say we're gonna take what's ours to have
Spread the word throughout the land
They say the bad guys wear black
We're tagged and can't turn back

You see us coming and you all together run for cover
We're taking over this town

Here we come, reach for your gun
And you better listen well, my friend
You see, it's been slow down below
Aimed at you, we're the cowboys from Montréal

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

1 minute ago, monkeypower said:

The club's new colors are Impact Black, deeper and richer, Ice Gray, which represents the ice flowing in all Montrealers' veins, and Sacré Bleu, a darker and more pronounced shade than its predecessor.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 minute ago, BC985 said:

It is a great logo, for an outdoor winter sports brand. While they needed a badge refresh, this was woefully overthought and missed the mark. A badge with roots in the Quebec flag would have been a better direction. 

It's been said many time that it looks like a ski club logo or something. Definitely looks like it or a winter festival one...

It's aesthetically better than last year's Fire logo, but that's if you're looking it in a vacuum. I'd rather have clubbed foot snowflake on my hat than the Fire crown.

However, the Fire crown at least understands it's engaged in a sporting activity. This new Montreal identity looks more like a new seasonal line at Roots. What does any of the new logo have to do with soccer?

I'm generally okay with out-there ideas -- see my continued appreciation for the new Rams -- but this just feels silly. Like, if you don't want to do sports branding, don't do it!

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

19 minutes ago, jp1409 said:

Foot for soccer doesn't make sense in Quebec, French people here don't use it at all and it's way too "France French" for English people. The fact that they took off the "é" in Montreal is pissing off a lot of folks too. 98% of the comments seem really negatives...

And it doesn't even make sense in France French -- I can't think of a single team called "Club de Foot" anywhere. Even those teams use FC, or something like AS, or just don't use that construction at all (like the Olympiques and maybe even PSG?). They screwed this up linguistically in two different ways! The logical endpoint of MLS's Epcotization of the game.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Archived