Denver Broncos prototype helmet? Maybe 1962?

roxfan00

Does anyone have answers about this proposed Riddell Broncos helmet when they changed uniforms? 3rd helmet from the left...is this even real?

spacer.png
“That is actually a prototype helmet from 1962 Riddell prepared for the team when they were coming up with new uniforms that year, it has a pair of the original blue horse decals on it.”

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, roxfan00 said:

Does anyone have answers about this proposed Riddell Broncos helmet when they changed uniforms? 3rd helmet from the left...is this even real?

spacer.png
“That is actually a prototype helmet from 1962 Riddell prepared for the team when they were coming up with new uniforms that year, it has a pair of the original blue horse decals on it.”

Not seeing a picture.

spacer.png

That’s wild. First time I’ve ever seen it. 

spacer.png

I love this picture. It raises a lot of thoughts. Here's a few: 

• In addition to the mystery helmet, I'm curious about the very first helmet on the top row. It's the only one in which the inner part of the D isn't colored blue around the horse. 
  • I really miss the Orange Crush/early Elway-era helmets. But man, did that look really improve with the addition of white face masks. Not to reignite the whole gray face mask debate, but this is an example of one that definitely looks better with a colored mask. 
  • There were some really ugly face masks in the '70s.
  • Maybe I've been watching too many YouTube videos of the '70s and early '80s NFL, but I really miss the old two-bar masks. (Alternately, I never understood the point of the single-bar mask.)

17 hours ago, roxfan00 said:

spacer.png

I just found this on Twitter. The quote you list is actually talking about the first row far left helmet.

It's where I sit.

1 minute ago, oldschoolvikings said:

No, not the big red shapes... The small stripe in the center... What color is it?

Ah - I assumed a carryover from the brown that they had been using - maybe turned into more of a bronze?

It's where I sit.

I wonder if the red was supposed to represent a horse's mane . . . thus a Broncos' version of the Rams' and Vikings' horns and the Eagles' wings.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

2 minutes ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

Am I being dumb or are we glossing over the red helmets with the A on them? Does that belong to a high school? I can't think of what else it could be. 

Pro Bowl helmets from the 70's.

Pro-Bowl-1970-2.png

IUe6Hvh.png

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Was there ever a royal version of that logo?  I thought it was always white.

It was originally blue.  Only lasted a couple games in 1962 before being replaced with a white version.  White against orange looked clearer on a black-and-white television; the blue and orange blurred together.

ppdhim6zrz0dcyrpuboh.jpg5652526654_8866f15c75_o.png

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

It was originally blue.  Only lasted a couple games in 1962 before being replaced with a white version.  White against orange looked clearer on a black-and-white television; the blue and orange blurred together.

ppdhim6zrz0dcyrpuboh.jpg5652526654_8866f15c75_o.png

Now that you've posted it, I remember see that picture before, but I'd forgotten it. Seeing that, the prototype helmet probably uses the royal blue also.

Archived