NFL Number Changes 2021

DCarp1231

3 hours ago, dont care said:

I think you can change numbers but you have to “buy” nikes dead stock with the old number. I’m pretty sure if I remember correctly Marcus Peter’s payed some of that cost as well to allow carr to switch. I don’t think it was that much anyways but still.

That certainly makes sense, since I know that is currently the catch / caveat with players wanting to change to single digits (and the like) ever since the new number rules were implemented for the 2021 season & beyond.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/4/2021 at 12:16 PM, guest23 said:

This guy says why stop at 22???????????spacer.png

That guy also wore . . .

spacer.png

I would be okay with (and actually like QBs wearing 20-22 since those numbers are adjacent to the traditional numbers and there are a few examples of QBs wearing them after the standardized system was implemented (John Hadl, Bobby Layne).  It also would have been cool if Flutie had been able to wear 22 and Bernie Kosar had been able to wear 20 in the NFL since those numbers were so closely associated with them in college.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

2 hours ago, leopard88 said:

That guy also wore . . .

spacer.png

I would be okay with (and actually like QBs wearing 20-22 since those numbers are adjacent to the traditional numbers and there are a few examples of QBs wearing them after the standardized system was implemented (John Hadl, Bobby Layne).  It also would have been cool if Flutie had been able to wear 22 and Bernie Kosar had been able to wear 20 in the NFL since those numbers were so closely associated with them in college.

That was not his choice. I demand you retract your snarky comment immediately.

4 minutes ago, guest23 said:

That was not his choice. I demand you retract your snarky comment immediately.

Never!

😛

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

While not NFL, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw this in an college game last season-
spacer.png

I love the aesthetic of QBs in 20-29

My personal favorite of the lot...

GettyImages_1462806.jpg

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Or that so many of the good QB numbers are taken by losers at other positions that shouldn't have the right to wear them.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Are 90s available to all defensive players, or still just for linemen?  Could a CB go with 99 if it's available?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

15 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Interesting that it states players can apply for exemptions. So presumably a CB could wear 99?

Probably, a lot like the previous rule where RB or KR could play WR under the other number rules (Devin Hester)

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

Or that so many of the good QB numbers are taken by losers at other positions that shouldn't have the right to wear them.

I was happy that the Browns said they wanted players to "earn" their new numbers. Which is why they only have 1 single-digit player on defense and none on offense outside of QB. Nothing is more annoying than a random draft pick feeling that he's entitled to wear #1, only to be a huge disappointment. 

31 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

I was happy that the Browns said they wanted players to "earn" their new numbers. 

What does that even mean?  You "earn" a number just by being on an NFL roster.  

It's still ridiculous that the position with the league's biggest stars could potentially have the fewest available numbers.  Star QBs should get preference over anyone else when it comes to numbers.  If Russell Wilson or Idiot Rodgers change teams next year, they shouldn't just get saddled with whatever ugly / undesirable number is sitting in the discard pile after the defensive players and receivers get their grubby paws on them.

Archived