NFL Number Changes 2021

DCarp1231

4 minutes ago, chakfu said:

I would actually suggest the opposite! I remember WR Frisman Jackson wore Bernie Kosar's 19.   It seems better to me for a different position to wear it.   #1 could be retired for QBs but if a WR or defender wears it, it seems more palatable . Doesn't seem like they're usurping the place of a legend.

Hate seeing young players call and ask. Seems rude putting a legend in a difficult position.  Let the legend make the offer first (more likely for a veteran star changing teams. Did len Dawson offer 16 to Montana?

Just learned that Len Dawson notably did not want his number to be unretired.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Julio lost me in the second half

spacer.png

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Still early but...seems like teams and players are showing enough restraint that it's more fun/interesting than confusing/annoying.   Probably aided by the fees for a vet buying out jersey stock. (I suppose stars have lots of stock but can afford it while nonames couldn't afford it but never had many jerseys printed. Works out well.)

27 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

This feels wrong. 4 will always be Vinatieri to me.

That's one reason teams retire numbers.  For multiple generations (*sigh* there's that word again) some numbers are so closely associated with legendary players that it's jarring to see anyone else in it (and in some cases puts added pressure or baggage on the new guy to "live up to" the number.)  I don't know if Vinatieri fits that criteria or not, but I'm fine with teams retiring numbers as long as they are very selective about how they do it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 6/19/2021 at 12:46 PM, BBTV said:

That's one reason teams retire numbers.  For multiple generations (*sigh* there's that word again) some numbers are so closely associated with legendary players that it's jarring to see anyone else in it (and in some cases puts added pressure or baggage on the new guy to "live up to" the number.)  I don't know if Vinatieri fits that criteria or not, but I'm fine with teams retiring numbers as long as they are very selective about how they do it.

Atleast don’t issue it for a few years to give some respect to the guy. He has every stat you could think of for a kicker outside of longest kick. You would think they would honor him that way not just give it to the next jabroni who asks for it. If the colts aren’t going to retire his number I hope the patriots do.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived