NFL Number Changes 2021

DCarp1231

3 hours ago, jn8 said:

This hurts my soul. Denver’s front office is a joke

Bad for pr and nostalgia but a great business move to get a couple high round picks and out of an aging star's contract. Scratch that after reading some more details he's not a future cap liability. May as well get him to a contender.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, guest23 said:

Bad for pr and nostalgia but a great business move to get a couple high round picks and out of an aging star's contract. Scratch that after reading some more details he's not a future cap liability. May as well get him to a contender.

Not a cap liability, but he was in the final year of his deal. Might as well get something for him before he becomes a free agent and some other sap of a franchise overpays for him.

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Peterson in a single digit is wrong.

Any non kicker/punter/QB in a single-digit is wrong.

The old adage about uni-nerds is true - you either die a modernist, or live long enough to see yourself become a traditionalist.  I've gone from yelling at folks for yelling at clouds to yelling at them myself.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

50 minutes ago, BBTV said:

The old adage about uni-nerds is true - you either die a modernist, or live long enough to see yourself become a traditionalist.  I've gone from yelling at folks for yelling at clouds to yelling at them myself.

As long as a QB doesn't go above #19 I'm OK. But it would nice if they could do like college and give 2 of the same number out if they won't be on the field at the same time. 1-19  is going to run out quickly. and a slew of retired numbers coming back into circulation.

PersonDivided-2-1.png

9 minutes ago, pokecat12 said:

As long as a QB doesn't go above #19 I'm OK. 

But that's the thing - if all these other players are hogging the QB numbers, it'll bring the end of the QBs wearing the classic QB numbers like 7, 11, 12, and even some of the other popular QB numbers like 9 and 14 (and more recently, 1).  

Carson Wentz, despite his thousands of flaws as a borderline-human, at least did the right thing and switched to 2 rather than bullying anyone into giving him 11, but 2 looks dumb and IMO 11 should have been available rather than being worn by a non QB/P/K.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Speaking of RBs, Mark Ingram is wearing 14 in his second stint with New Orleans

spacer.png

This is 600 kinds of wrong...

14 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Adrian Peterson will wear 8 for Tennessee 

spacer.png

...And yet somehow this is wronger. (That said, I wanna meet the guys both he and Frank Gore must be paying to sustain their bodies, because good gosh...)

2 hours ago, pokecat12 said:

As long as a QB doesn't go above #19 I'm OK. But it would nice if they could do like college and give 2 of the same number out if they won't be on the field at the same time. 1-19  is going to run out quickly. and a slew of retired numbers coming back into circulation.

I've said it before, but since the traditional numbering conventions done went out the window, I personally would love to see some QBs try on the numbers 20, 21, or 22 again.  Bring back the days of Don Hadl or Bobby Layne!  (Or Doug Flutie with the Generals or Stamps...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

4 minutes ago, tBBP said:

This is 600 kinds of wrong...

...And yet somehow this is wronger. (That said, I wanna meet the guys both he and Frank Gore must be paying to sustain their bodies, because good gosh...)

I've said it before, but since the traditional numbering conventions done went out the window, I personally would love to see some QBs try on the numbers 20, 21, or 22 again.  Bring back the days of Don Hadl or Bobby Layne!  (Or Doug Flutie with the Generals or Stamps...)

This guy says why stop at 22???????????spacer.png

4 hours ago, guest23 said:

This guy says why stop at 22???????????spacer.png

I was gonna mention Otto Graham (who if I remember right wore #48 in college!), but we gotta take baby steps here 🙂

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

10 hours ago, BBTV said:

I think I'm fine with WRs in single digits as you see it in preseason sometimes, but other than that I hate the new number rules.

I'm a college fan, I'm used to it and love it. Lets players build a bit of identity, and easier to remember players since they're not all bunched up in #. AKA, "Oh that corner #5 was good" and it not be compared to the numbers 21,22,24,27. 

Peterson couldn't wear 28 anyways since it was taken, and the NFL rules are one number per player per team per year. If it was the offseason they may have switched, but midseason he had to pick from what was available.

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

Honestly the hardest part of the new number rules is just getting used to how many players switched numbers. I don't care if a WR wants to wear an untraditional WR number. I'm just still adjusting to all these new numbers. It sucks when you celebrate a TD for your fantasy team only to realize that you had your uni numbers mixed up 🤣

On 11/4/2021 at 5:47 PM, DNAsports said:

I’m perfectly fine with LBs and RBs wearing 10-19

After the rules change this season, just let anyone wear any number. It's so messy now, just be done with the rules altogether

6uXNWAo.png

15 hours ago, flyersfan said:

I'm a college fan, I'm used to it and love it. Lets players build a bit of identity, and easier to remember players since they're not all bunched up in #. AKA, "Oh that corner #5 was good" and it not be compared to the numbers 21,22,24,27. 

Peterson couldn't wear 28 anyways since it was taken, and the NFL rules are one number per player per team per year. If it was the offseason they may have switched, but midseason he had to pick from what was available.

Did this rule recently change? The reason I inquisitively inquire is because just as recently as 2019, when BAL traded LB Kenny Young & a draft pick to the LAR for CB Marcus Peters, the latter initially wore #30 at practice upon arrival. That is of course due to the fact that #22 has belonged to fellow CB Jimmy Smith ever since being drafted in 2011.

However, another fellow DB, Brandon Carr, granted his #24 to Peters, despite having worn that # for approximately 2.5 seasons as a Raven at that particular point in time. Carr took his old favorite #39 from his KC & DAL days, respectively, which originally was not available upon his arrival via free agency in 2017.

That was because both him & Danny Woodhead were picked up as free agents that year, and they politely agreed to not bicker over the number, so Carr gladly went with #24 and graciously let Woodhead have #39. Granted, this specific instance that has sprung to mind did indeed occur prior to these recent new number rules modifications / adaptations.

12 hours ago, ⋔ 4 ℞ ℞ $ said:

Did this rule recently change? The reason I inquisitively inquire is because just as recently as 2019, when BAL traded LB Kenny Young & a draft pick to the LAR for CB Marcus Peters, the latter initially wore #30 at practice upon arrival. That is of course due to the fact that #22 has belonged to fellow CB Jimmy Smith ever since being drafted in 2011.

However, another fellow DB, Brandon Carr, granted his #24 to Peters, despite having worn that # for approximately 2.5 seasons as a Raven at that particular point in time. Carr took his old favorite #39 from his KC & DAL days, respectively, which originally was not available upon his arrival via free agency in 2017.

That was because both him & Danny Woodhead were picked up as free agents that year, and they politely agreed to not bicker over the number, so Carr gladly went with #24 and graciously let Woodhead have #39. Granted, this specific instance that has sprung to mind did indeed occur prior to these recent new number rules modifications / adaptations.

I think it is a regular season rule. Once a team registers a player as their #XX, that number is stuck to them for the season unless there is league approval, which is where the issues lied with the Chiefs last year, they ran through so many DBs they ran out of #s. 

It could be changed now, I haven't read the rulebook, but that was my understanding of it. What players wear in practice and in the offseason doesn't really matter, but they 99% wear their jersey # for sanitary and observation purposes.

You could absolutely be right and me be wrong, but I was under the impression players can't switch uniform numbers in a season unless they change teams, where they essentially get re-registered.

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

13 hours ago, flyersfan said:

I think it is a regular season rule. Once a team registers a player as their #XX, that number is stuck to them for the season unless there is league approval, which is where the issues lied with the Chiefs last year, they ran through so many DBs they ran out of #s. 

It could be changed now, I haven't read the rulebook, but that was my understanding of it. What players wear in practice and in the offseason doesn't really matter, but they 99% wear their jersey # for sanitary and observation purposes.

You could absolutely be right and me be wrong, but I was under the impression players can't switch uniform numbers in a season unless they change teams, where they essentially get re-registered.

My main point was that when Marcus Peters arrived to the Ravens via trade not quite halfway through the season, Brandon Carr changed his game jersey number IN SEASON from #24 to #39.

Peters essentially took Carr's #24 (He didn't want to wear #30, which was what he was initially issued by BAL, but he wasn't going to request Jimmy Smith's longtime #22 either, as he noted on record).

I believe since #39 was now available, team player Carr was nice enough to go back to that, which he wore with two prior teams, so Peters could have a number in the 20s. That is merely my speculation on how it went down.

I suppose by adding some unnecessary details (e.g. Referencing fellow longtime #39 Danny Woodhead arriving about same time as Carr in 2017 via Free Agency), I may have made my previous post a bit baffling / befuddling.

However, the general premise was the reason I asked. Again, the regular season number change rules could have been updated in the two years / seasons since, but it definitely did happen in that case during the 2019 season.

1 hour ago, ⋔ 4 ℞ ℞ $ said:

My main point was that when Marcus Peters arrived to the Ravens via trade not quite halfway through the season, Brandon Carr changed his game jersey number IN SEASON from #24 to #39.

Peters essentially took Carr's #24 (He didn't want to wear #30, which was what he was initially issued by BAL, but he wasn't going to request Jimmy Smith's longtime #22 either, as he noted on record).

I believe since #39 was now available, team player Carr was nice enough to go back to that, which he wore with two prior teams, so Peters could have a number in the 20s. That is merely my speculation on how it went down.

I suppose by adding some unnecessary details (e.g. Referencing fellow longtime #39 Danny Woodhead arriving about same time as Carr in 2017 via Free Agency), I may have made my previous post a bit baffling / befuddling.

However, the general premise was the reason I asked. Again, the regular season number change rules could have been updated in the two years / seasons since, but it definitely did happen in that case during the 2019 season.

I think you can change numbers but you have to “buy” nikes dead stock with the old number. I’m pretty sure if I remember correctly Marcus Peter’s payed some of that cost as well to allow carr to switch. I don’t think it was that much anyways but still.

Archived