NFL Number Changes 2021

DCarp1231

I really don’t see a problem with asking permission to wear it. JJ Watt contacted Marshall Goldberg’s family for their permission so he could wear the retired 99 in Arizona.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nfl.com/_amp/jj-watt-99-marshall-goldberg-daughter-gives-blessing-cardinals

IMO, it’s completely fine if the player asks permission. Regardless of who the player is.

Honestly, I’d be more than happy if a Washington player asked to wear 33 or 21. The latter happens all the time and Snyder shoots it down relentlessly.

For the record, 21 shouldn’t be put up on a throne in Washington.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

I really don’t see a problem with asking permission to wear it. JJ Watt contacted Marshall Goldberg’s family for their permission so he could wear the retired 99 in Arizona.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nfl.com/_amp/jj-watt-99-marshall-goldberg-daughter-gives-blessing-cardinals

IMO, it’s completely fine if the player asks permission. Regardless of who the player is.

Honestly, I’d be more than happy if a Washington player asked to wear 33 or 21. The latter happens all the time and Snyder shoots it down relentlessly.

I don’t think the issue is with asking, the issue is with asking Warren Moon. I had to Google who Marshall Goldberg was. Dude last played in 1948. Warren Moon was relevant well into the 90’s and is probably one of the best QB’s of all time to never win a Super Bowl. JJ Watt is also one of, if not the best defensive players of his generation. AJ Brown is good but he’s got a ways to go before sniffing “best WR of his generation” territory. 

I also think it’s perfectly reasonable for Washington to “put 21 on a throne” considering the circumstances. 

spacer.png

28 minutes ago, Crabcake said:

I also think it’s perfectly reasonable for Washington to “put 21 on a throne” considering the circumstances. 

As a Washington fan, I obviously understand the circumstances involving 21 aren’t/weren’t the greatest. However, I strongly believe it’s time for another player to wear it, given the circumstances of the new number rule change.

It's basically like calling someone and asking them for their team hall of fame trophy - actually even worse, since usually retired numbers are the absolute highest honor a team gives someone - even above their HOF.  Putting Moon in the situation of either 1) saying 'no' and potentially looking like a dick, or 2) saying 'yes' and surrendering his honor is incredibly classless. 

If you agree with his request, I hope you never earn any honor of note only to have some moron ask you for it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

There at least needs to be a “program” put in place that allows teams to assign retired/unused numbers as “legacy numbers” (with former player’s consent, of course) that can only only be distributed to the position group of said former players.

Example, Warren Moon’s 1 can only be given to a QB on Tennessee’s roster. Never WRs, TEs, RBs, LBs, or DBs.

I also think it would help if the former player (or family of) could have the honor of handpicking his successor.

That's not how it works.  What does "choosing his successor" even mean, and how would one do that?  Not all retired players are clued in to who all the current rookies are, nor do all of them even care.  If a number is "retired", then that's it.  If there's a different honor that a team has other than "retired number", then cool - they can run that system however they want.  But Warren Moon, like all players who have had their jerseys retired, went home that night knowing that nobody would ever wear his number again and it would hang from the proverbial rafters.  No punk kid should call him up - forget about the ignorance of not even knowing who he was (which is pretty egregious if you're a football player) and say "bro, I want to unretire your number and wear it because it looks cool".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

but that's not even the problem here.  There are plenty of available numbers, he simply wanted one that was retired.  The solution to placating immature players isn't to stop honoring the truly great ones.

9 minutes ago, BBTV said:

but that's not even the problem here.  There are plenty of available numbers, he simply wanted one that was retired.  The solution to placating immature players isn't to stop honoring the truly great ones.

Brown more than likely had a backup plan to the backup plan. If Moon denied his request, I’d be willing to bet Brown would’ve just said “aw shucks” and picked a different number. A bit of a stretch to call him “immature” or a “jabroni” for simply wanting a certain number.

I feel “immature” is being very fair to him and the others like him (Haskins). 

Good on Jones for not taking his 11, and I wonder if his thought process was similar to Wentz’ 1+1=2.  Woulda been neat for him to buck the trend and go with 8#. 

8 hours ago, BBTV said:

I feel “immature” is being very fair to him and the others like him (Haskins). 

Good on Jones for not taking his 11, and I wonder if his thought process was similar to Wentz’ 1+1=2.  Woulda been neat for him to buck the trend and go with 8#. 

I’d say the Haskins situation was a bit “easier” (for lack of a better term). Yes, 7 is one of Washington’s “untouchable” numbers, but it’s certainly not retired like Moon’s 1.

Honestly, I’d be interested to know how Theismann felt after this past year.

Besides the [1 + 1 = 2] factor, one could wonder if Julio Jones chose to sport #2 as a tribute to his former QB in ATL. Additionally (no pun intended), I am slightly surprised that Derrick Henry did not take that available #2 in the first place. Granted, Henry has already accomplished a lot while wearing #22, so it makes sense not to switch at this point in his career, especially during his Tennessee Titans tenure.

On 6/8/2021 at 6:12 PM, DNAsports said:

This. 100 times this!

Unpopular opinion:  Coming from a lifelong Washington fan, our fanbase has put Sean Taylor on too high of a pedestal. He was not a top 5 safety in the league IMO (I wouldn't dispute him being #6 at his peak). Plus I feel his size would have eventually been detriment to him as he got older, mainly in pass coverage. Honestly, if Taylor suffered a career ending injury in 2007 instead of being killed, he would not be looked upon as fondly be the fans 🤷🏾‍♂️

Hotter Than July > Thriller

13 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

This. 100 times this!

Unpopular opinion:  Coming from a lifelong Washington fan, our fanbase has put Sean Taylor on too high of a pedestal. He was not a top 5 safety in the league IMO (I wouldn't dispute him being #6 at his peak). Plus I feel his size would have eventually been detriment to him as he got older, mainly in pass coverage. Honestly, if Taylor suffered a career ending injury in 2007 instead of being killed, he would not be looked upon as fondly be the fans 🤷🏾‍♂️

For comparison, a Calgary Stampeders player was killed in 2016. The team, players, and fans mourned the loss... his number (31) was distributed to some new player the following season and continues to be in circulation.

Taylor was a phenomenal player for Washington, but to say he was one of the greatest to ever put on a burgundy & gold uniform for the 4 seasons he was there is a bit of a stretch.

On 6/8/2021 at 3:20 PM, Crabcake said:

I don’t think the issue is with asking, the issue is with asking Warren Moon. I had to Google who Marshall Goldberg was. Dude last played in 1948. Warren Moon was relevant well into the 90’s and is probably one of the best QB’s of all time to never win a Super Bowl. JJ Watt is also one of, if not the best defensive players of his generation. AJ Brown is good but he’s got a ways to go before sniffing “best WR of his generation” territory. 

Warren Moon last played (significantly) in 1998. A.J. Brown was born in 1997. 

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Warren Moon is a bona fide hall of famer, and his number was retired by the franchise.  Just that fact should have made it a non starter.   I guess it's a good thing (and validates the honor) that it got the jabroni to research who Warren Moon is, but maybe this is my age bias kicking in, but everyone who's into the NFL should know who Warren Moon was.  The point is, regardless of the years Moon's career spanned, the split second he was told it was retired, he should have thought "well, I guess that honor means a lot to whoever received it, and I shouldn't even think about taking it away from that person." 

I don’t know if I’m alone with this opinion, but I think that retiring numbers in the NFL is dumb. Mostly because of the size of NFL rosters and the limited numbers allocated to specific player units.

I mean, wasn’t that one of the reasons cited by the NFL for the new number change, that the Chiefs literally ran out of available numbers for certain position groups? 

I think it would be cool to see football numbers turn into something similar to soccer’s numbering system. For example, the No. 10 is a legacy number reserved for a team’s best attacking player, or the No. 9 is usually worn by the teams best striker. Same with No. 1 for keeper, 6 and 8 for midfielders. 

I have no issue with basketball, baseball and hockey having retired numbers. Their rosters aren’t even half the size of NFL active rosters, let alone their full roster. It’ll be decades before it’s an issue in those sports. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

On 6/8/2021 at 9:01 PM, DNAsports said:

There at least needs to be a “program” put in place that allows teams to assign retired/unused numbers as “legacy numbers” (with former player’s consent, of course) that can only only be distributed to the position group of said former players.

Example, Warren Moon’s 1 can only be given to a QB on Tennessee’s roster. Never WRs, TEs, RBs, LBs, or DBs.

I also think it would help if the former player (or family of) could have the honor of handpicking his successor.

I would actually suggest the opposite! I remember WR Frisman Jackson wore Bernie Kosar's 19.   It seems better to me for a different position to wear it.   #1 could be retired for QBs but if a WR or defender wears it, it seems more palatable . Doesn't seem like they're usurping the place of a legend.

Hate seeing young players call and ask. Seems rude putting a legend in a difficult position.  Let the legend make the offer first (more likely for a veteran star changing teams. Did len Dawson offer 16 to Montana?

Archived